Rift Scourge Slicers vs Spectral Longswords on a SS Nightblade - former much much better?

Hi there,

So I was wondering about how exactly these additional damage bonuses like “916 Acid Damage to Shadow Strike” are determined. Grim Tools item database says it ought to be 180 damage.

But these ones I have are much much more:

So much more in fact that the ideal cold damage SS weapon for these levels which, far as I know, would be the Spectral Longsword, is blown totally out the water.

Given how insanely much acid damage I get to Shadow Strike from these two swords, it almost feels like I should really just build around upping acid damage. But that seems oddly counter-intuitive given that it’s a cold Infiltrator build.

For those curious, here’s a link to build on Grim Tools.

So do I now really just want to skip Spectral Longswords and focus on the Rift Scourge Slicers? Is that Acid Damage addition really correct? Seems like a lot of damage for level 37.

This Acid damage is so high because it’s displayed in-game multiplied by (1 + %Acid Damage + %Magical Damage). Like bonuses in Skill / Mastery window. In your case (100% + 150% + 280%) = 530%.

5.3 * 180 ~ 900 damage

It’s a bit confusing because in contrast plain +Flat damage on items is not displayed multiplied by %Damage.
I personally don’t like it because it’s not consistent.

1 Like

Ah, I see. That makes sense.

So seems that until the flat +cold damage from my skills is high enough, this acid weapon is vastly superior to the more cold-build fitting weapon. A bit unintuitive but oh well. At least I don’t need to farm for a second spectral longsword.

This doesn’t make any sense to me. You are making a Cold build, you’ll soon add Cold Devotions, gap between %Cold and %Acid will get even higher yet you think Acid type weapon is is better for you even now than Spectral Longsword / Loxmere’s Frostblade? I am not sure about that. They even have -0.2s skill recharge rate to Shadow Strike.

You need to build your character properly, commit to one damage type and choose appropriate weapon for this damage type.

1 Like

Better at the moment, yes. Of course once the flat cold damage bonuses ramp up enough then it’s going to no longer be the case.

But atm the DPS from those Rift Scourge Slicers for SS is massively more than from Spectral Longsword. Prolly not gonna be the case 10 levels from now. At which point I can go pick up those Spectral Longswords, which are really easy to farm/buy.

Btw max out (your current hard cap which is 14/12) Nidalla’s Justifiable Ends. You’re missing a lot of damage. And if you add 2 x Longswords with % Cold, -0.2 s skill recharge and Pierce to Cold conversions, good Cold devotions. I think you can imagine the DPS increase.

1 Like

I’ll add Cold devotions eventually (maybe even next), but this is on Hardcore Veteran and I’m looking to max resistances and have some circuit breakers first.

Is maxing Nidalla’s Justifiable Ends really that high a priority? The poison damage seems unimpressive on a glance and the skill cooldown reduction is 30%, which translates to ~40% more damage, no?

Yes, 40% more damage and 70% more damage from your hits with -0.2s weapon. Can be thought of a multiplier to all Weapon, Pierce, Cold damage from Shadow Strike. It’s ridiculously OP. Not even mentioning smoothness, mobility, devotion application.

Similar to boosting your attack speed from 100% to 145% / 170% :slight_smile: Does that sound better?
I’m just try it instead of wasting points in Mastery bar and you’ll see.

1 Like

Well I’m putting points in the mastery bars mostly to unlock skills to use, as I like to use a lot of skills. :stuck_out_tongue:

So the -0.2s, that happens after the 30% cooldown reduction from NJE?

But you’re totally wasting them for now when you could use them for gg skills like Nidalla’s / Veil of Shadow / Night’s Chill / Deadly Aim (I may have forgotten about something). Wait with maxing Inquisitor until you have more points.

What 30% cooldown reduction. I’s not even written like that. Both -x skill recharge from Nidalla’s and weapons are additive with each other and base Shadow Strike cooldown so with weapons you could reach 1.8 skill recharge which is like almost doubling the number of hits from base 3.5 Shadow Strike. And the more -x skill recharge you get later (from more Nidalla’s, set bonuses, items) it gets even sillier due to this additive nature.

Every Shadow Strike build has Nidalla’s maxed out for a reason.

1 Like

Sorry, but I think I know better if I want to play with lots of skills or if I want to focus on one strongest line of skills. I appreciate the point about NJE though, and will probably put more points on it next. :slight_smile:

Oh shiiiit - I was looking at the old wiki, which has outdated information about the skill descriptions. It used to be “-% Skill Cooldown Reduction”.

So I was curious about how the math exactly plays out when calculating the total skill recharge time with NJE and Spectral Longsword. And that’s fairly obvious in the current way how the skill is described.

My bad.

1 Like