RIP my best character, level 65 Reaper

My level 65 reaper died today in the ancient grove. It was to the boss, when everything was on fire. I’m very upset because this character was cruising. Up to this point in the game nothing could touch me. And if they could, I would instantly heal to full life due to my leech. Most of the time I didn’t even have to attack, because I had a bunch of retaliation spells, that would curse any enemies that hit me. Like the Torment relic

I’m upset because I would like to play a squishy caster next. But I have no idea how I’m going to not die to this boss again. I wish more bosses were like Korvaak.

when people say they died to Gargabol, it’s pretty often the volcano under their feet they missed
or you didn’t kill his plants and kept getting globbed and then maybe ate his big “swing” or something
or your resists were just sufficiently low to not deal with the various debuffs from flames, rose bushes and gargabol himself
once you get used to him, outside high SR, he becomes pretty trivial to deal with, so just keep at it and practice him

Consider playing the game on softcore and learning the bosses first.nazwa
Gargabol and other enemies have shotgun attack which are deadly for most characters.

Well, if you want to play HC that’s the name of the game, be prepared to die. Even some of my endgame chars die to Gargabol if I’m not paying attention. He’s super deadly, make sure your resists are overcapped. And try to kill him before he spawns his little fissure things, they hurt. Or gtfo if they do spawn. He’ll spawn two of them, so make sure to avoid the second one as well.

Edit: and yeah, getting Gargie in SR 76 Ultimate is not fun :joy:

Volcanos, yes, and also the mentioned “big swing”. That one indeed sometimes one-shots my newly arrived melee characters. If your melee character is not super confident, I´d strongly suggest hit and run all the way.

Soulrend is min lvl75, this means this could not have been a “best character” xDDD

I feel like your overconfidence is what killed your character.

When I first started to drive, about 15 years ago, my teacher taught me you become dangerous the day you’re not scared to drive.

2 Likes

Reminds me of a quote from Darkest Dungeon: “Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer”

I’m sorry for your loss, OP. Losing a high lv character must be tough.

1 Like

Reaper and Harcore are pretty incompatible - he’s just too fragile.
Try a tankier mastery combination, really. Something like Archon, Sentinel, etc.

This is incorrect in my opinion.They can be very tanky if needed (facetank Ravager for example, often w/o any consumables).
I mean both casters and melees. I’d much rather play Reaper than a random Archon or Sentinel in this regard actually.

They have Damage Reduction, easy access to Life Leech, Mark of Torment, Blade Barrier. You can get Fumble and Dodge if you want. Often flexible devotion. You then tweak Health and Phys res and you’re good to go.

Of all my hardcore veteran characters, reaper is by far the strongest. Strong in the early game, and the mid game, all the way until death. My previous reaper was a 2 button build, just normal attack with wps and pneumatic burst. But I’ve since refined it and added ill omen and siphon souls. This new version can kill celestial totems without kiting. I actually managed to clear all of veteran, but then I immediately died after stepping on some aetherfire.

1 Like