Roadblocks that randomly appear each session. Do we need them?

For those that hate some particular road blocks - maybe add yourself some teleport locations to Grim Internals, on the other sides of them.

From the same old thread I used earlier on:

2 Likes

Same.

IMO if you want to add variation to an exploration route random spawn location of mini boss/champion/hero/chest do a better job.

What about people how enjoy doing the same path? Or going the path they want?

I don’t like to be “forced” (the way I feel) to take a path.

What’s the problem with this particular random generation of road blocks? Seems straightforward :wink:
And as far as I remember you always go somewhat like this on the left side in this area. Well I always do.

149366d6835caba872b47ccf4e882eb49ca0634e_2_690x491

2 Likes

It’s not about going through the map, story mode like.

Do 100 runs to farm this item and then tell us what’s the role of roadblocks.

1 Like

Not sure where the sweet spot is - maybe they could remove 1 or 2 barriers - but there need to be a minimum of them to retain a maze.

Sure, Crate could make a static maze (with one persistent set of barriers), but would that be less forced?

They need to cater to multiple sub-audiences. When there is a conflict of interests between them they need to weigh up the pros and cons - here to the disadvantage of people like you who prefer efficiency over variation.

I’d say the issue is probably that you need to repeat the same place over and over. Crate has another solution for that in the works.

3 Likes

Even the Dermapteran Hive? I meant to point out that Mountain Deeps is our only maze level that is worthy of the name.

We had people asking for puzzles and while replying to you, I thought they would enjoy Mountain Deeps even more, if there was no immediate path to the exit, but you had to go to switches that open new paths and close off others before you find your way out… ducksrottenfruit

1 Like

I’m just so enjoying opening the map every 1.5-2 seconds rather than actually playing the game. Roadblocks are surely a successful element in the game :smiley:

I certainly have moments when I make frequent use of the map, but that sounds atrocious. However, I think most of the time I just move in the general direction I need to go and reach my destination without much map checking.

Some of the medal augments enable you to do that.

I was not serious, and I guess Crate was skeptical about this, too, or they would have done more in this regard. Would certainly be a change in pacing.

But I think a different audience would enjoy an ARPG (that does not follow the classic design all the time) with puzzles, if the experience was created around this element.

OK, being able to move through enemies for 4 seconds as in PoE is more potent than using GD’s charge-through-enemies skills. But that is what is available to us.

1 Like

I would prefer not barrier at all. Then to me will feel less forced.

Agree. I really don’t expect any change because I ask for it. I just want to share my gaming experience.

Yes, thank you. I can’t wait to try this.

I like these road blocks when chilling and playing the campaign slowly. But I can understand others frustration when farming. The dream would be to have an option in Grim Internals to make the blocks disappear.

yeah I just hold down my left mouse button, and then I can keep the map open without a need to close and reopen at all.

But, but, but, … that is detrimental to your gaming experience, too. You are supposed to enjoy random barriers while looking at them on the field, but not the map. :smile:

1 Like

Except he’s the guy who has the final say about what’s in the game or not. :laughing:

2 Likes

I agree with medierra about “most” things but the transparent map thing I’ve always kinda been ehhhh about. I see no reason not to include a transparent map overlay and I think Zantai really should bring it back before him for reconsideration.

I’m not going to lose sleep over it or anything but I think it’s something that should just be in the game.

1 Like

If it’s an option as well as the one we already have then yeah, maybe. But I wouldn’t want it replacing the mini-map. The overlay was one of the things I didn’t like about D2.

There is no need to replace it. Most games these days have it cycle between “full map”, then transparent, then none, then back to full and so on. You can easily have “all” worlds.

I get medierra’s approach to most things - like no bows, and having the roadblocks and shit but I think that as far as transparent map overlay goes he might have over thought it just a bit too much there.

1 Like

No, but if his vision of the game doesn’t include it then that’s not wrong. It’s just something he doesn’t want in his game, no matter what other games do.

1 Like

One way or another, there is something in this roadblocks, when you get in the Mountain Deeps and say to yourself “Oh, it’s that map again…”.