Roadblocks that randomly appear each session. Do we need them?

Hello. I would like to hear your opinions about roadblocks that appear randomly each time you start a session.

My opinion is; game should just get rid of them completely. They only add frustration to my experience since day 1 -as now im about the create my 10th character-, for the attempt of slightly randomize your paths every game where the maps are static.

I would argue all day how they fail on what they should be doing and only limits my exploration and wastes my time. I’m at 900 hours and still not getting bored of static maps, still dont always take same paths anyways.

Please at least consider getting rid of this for 1.1.7.

Yes we need them. Every little thing that changes in maps in every session creates a variation and that variations keeps you in the game, they reduce the sense of flatness. Otherwise as you say, maps remain static and most player use the same path in every goddamn session in every area. And think like this, heroes and other bosses has also mostly appear on random points within their area and those paths you take because of those obstacles may lead you to them and put a smile on your face. Without obstacles you take the shortcut yes? And within those paths you probably won’t encounter those heroes so your drop rate will decrease. Think possitive man :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t mind roadblocks. They make me learn alternative routes in the maps and not run blindly in one direction. They blend nicely with surroundings too, so sometimes I don’t even notice I encountered one.

2 Likes

If only we could remove them with dynamite :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I don’t expect or really want them to remove them, because I understand it helps make the map feel more randomized and less static.

However, personally, I already explore every inch of terrain in each playthrough anyway, so those roadbloacks are just annoyances that slow me down. So I would love a mod that disabled them.

It’s this same explorer philosophy that’s led me to long for more bridge-building and more interconnectedness of the terrain and roads.

1 Like

Personally, i and most people already check every corner around maps in games like this to not miss anything. Roadblocks makes my times harder and frustrates me a lot because they actually slow me down a lot. I would really like to see some mod removing them completely.

I also uncover every corner, but sometimes I return somewhere when evth is already uncovered and these blockades keep me looking at the map anyway. Which I consider a good thing.

I only find them annoying in cities, but that’s part of hating the city map design.

Very rarely they are annoying elsewhere when the only path is very roundabout.

I think overall I’d prefer random maps in G2 if that’s possible.

Thank you for your perfect example. I have no idea how anyone on earth could love this system.

1 Like

I don’t mind them in standard play in large/open areas if I’m just passing through (e.g. Blood Grove).

They’re only annoying in very specific situations like farming Troves in the Mountain Deeps - small area, tight corridors, constantly changing passageways every session. It messes with muscle memory if you try to develop a route that passes by every Trove spot as you have to adapt to these blockades every time.

There’s a command in a modded game

I haven’t tested if it works. You may need to add true or false argument to the command.

[edit] It doesn’t work for me.

The design reasons for adding Randomized Barriers are explained here:

To illustrate how important it has been to Crate: This feature was implemented before the Kickstarter campaign, when resources were scarce. Maybe it was also relatively easy to implement (i.e. a low hanging fruit).

Personally I used to explore everything, too - and I sometimes still do if I feel like it. But it gets old, if you do this all the time, so I appreciate that the barriers provide me with varying directions.

1 Like

Maybe make them as a destructible enemy with health bar that gives 0 xp?

For those that hate some particular road blocks - maybe add yourself some teleport locations to Grim Internals, on the other sides of them.

From the same old thread I used earlier on:

2 Likes

Same.

IMO if you want to add variation to an exploration route random spawn location of mini boss/champion/hero/chest do a better job.

What about people how enjoy doing the same path? Or going the path they want?

I don’t like to be “forced” (the way I feel) to take a path.

What’s the problem with this particular random generation of road blocks? Seems straightforward :wink:
And as far as I remember you always go somewhat like this on the left side in this area. Well I always do.

149366d6835caba872b47ccf4e882eb49ca0634e_2_690x491

2 Likes

It’s not about going through the map, story mode like.

Do 100 runs to farm this item and then tell us what’s the role of roadblocks.

1 Like

Not sure where the sweet spot is - maybe they could remove 1 or 2 barriers - but there need to be a minimum of them to retain a maze.

Sure, Crate could make a static maze (with one persistent set of barriers), but would that be less forced?

They need to cater to multiple sub-audiences. When there is a conflict of interests between them they need to weigh up the pros and cons - here to the disadvantage of people like you who prefer efficiency over variation.

I’d say the issue is probably that you need to repeat the same place over and over. Crate has another solution for that in the works.

3 Likes

Even the Dermapteran Hive? I meant to point out that Mountain Deeps is our only maze level that is worthy of the name.

We had people asking for puzzles and while replying to you, I thought they would enjoy Mountain Deeps even more, if there was no immediate path to the exit, but you had to go to switches that open new paths and close off others before you find your way out… ducksrottenfruit

1 Like