Rune experts, why does my rune infiltrator not work?

What’s up, fellow builders.

I’ve been messing with my Infiltrator trying to come up with something and I ended up making trap/rune pierce build with Rimetongue set.

Here it is. Idea is simple, piercing runes (I have 88% conversion on this character) with support of steroided trap from new set and metric quadruple tonn of racial damage (and with decent level seal).

I made some improvements to it and some changes over the testing period (Valinov’s suggestion to add Bat devotion was very on point). BUT, I kept failing. While build dispatches of some hero packs and some bosses with the phenomenal speed, I kept dying in all kinds of spots, like for example in Ancient Grove run versus that green snake boss, or versus Kuba in main campaign. I watched some videos of other builders playing their rune builds, yet it’s either me being a complete noob or build being not realistic.

Here is a video of “naked” run at 100-110, where I just die to Ben’Jahr in a pretty unimpressive scrap.

So calling out everyone who had success with rune builds, what’s wrong with mine?

My setup (second post): http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74030

I think it’s a lack of damage on your part. At less than 1600 % pierce and no rune mods you’re bound to face such problems. Look at the ben part, you’re supposed to take a large chunk of hp with just one rune but it doesn’t happen all the time. Also in my setup linked above, it still doesn’t do that much damage even with 100% conversion and maxed rune, though it’s for a bit different reason. Part of why cold rune is so strong is because there’s a big amount of mod support for it. I’ll recommend dual witch moons, though that will make skill distribution really hard, which is why in my setup I use blind assassin set.

Also people kinda overestimate survivability of rune builds. Cold rune does so much damage that you won’t get into extended fights but with offbeat variants you’ll die if you don’t kill them enough.

I think it’s a lack of skill modifiers to runes. This is how mine cleared 170:
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/DV9QPy6V

Never got around to posting it is because it can’t compare to cold runes. It’s also very squishy.

I think too much skill to use~ change your build

I especially looked into your pierce rune build and compared it to mine and was and still am baffled how your pierce runes perform better. I mean, same pierce damage, but just 1 rune against my build 2 runes plus trap plus a shotgun skill plus I have higher artifact handling on mine. Is it all that cdr, like really?

I like your build by the way, looks like a lot of correct gear choices for pierce runes.
But you still say it’s squishy, that means that by my noob pilot standards it wouldn’t be winning much at all.

Nice suggestions, shopping, but that turns it into a different kind of build that looks like a worse version of Valdun’s purifier. And I am not saying it won’t work, it might but from the look of it just as a gimmicky build.

So what is the consensus so far, my build overcomplicated and too gimmicky but also pierce runes are kinda (certainly) meh?

My build still doesn’t 100% clear 170 all the time. But yeah I guess it’s the cdr. I get around 24% cdr + belgo proc, and also I got blizzard for another nuke. I think it makes up for the lack of one rune. And is blade trap good? I thought it still doesn’t trap bosses even with all the trap RR?

It’s not min-maxed at all. You can very easily get more HP with green pants:
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/xZyd3JeV

Not sure why I even went with tranquil mind pants when I don’t even need the slow res. :rolleyes:

On that note, siphon a few points off PB and into vidor or word for more defense.

Probably said this before but belgo relic + runebinder gem :p. Really love that cdr.

DOI. You’re right. Was reluctant to give up the conduit and relic initially because of the HP and DA they offered respectively. But with greens I suppose it’s ez to replace.

EDIT: Prolly this - https://www.grimtools.com/calc/lV7M8zdN

Yes, your variation seems to be better. By the way, you don’t need two Bladetwister, just get 85%-90% conversion from ring +belt and use a ring with actually decent stats.

But on the other hand, how do you not die without any leech? I get swarmed instantly and I am only getting saved by Bat and Blade Trap leech.

Answering x1x2 question, it does trap some bosses for melee second, but that’s enough to shred their DA to shit. But it’s mainly their because Rimetongue supports it and it leeches tonns from non-boss mobs.

I would do Rimetongue + PB infiltrator (because it’s going to be sickening build), but that’s not my idea so I won’t.

EDIT: but ye, I think I will scrap that pierce rune idea and just go back to Belgo infiltrator and maybe post a guide to it (although it would be kinda redundant after Fluff has made his guide and Tz Tz made his)

The DA shred is gone the moment they escape from the traps, but taking it just for the leech is fair enough.

I basically am the pied piper. I cast runes in front of me and bait mobs to them with my juicy ass.

Shadow strike is going to help a great deal. Don’t even know why I didn’t take a point in it.