[Saboteur] The Sacred Balance Nex v. Ortus

The Sacred Balance: A Song of Life and Death

[CENTER]VIDEOS

GRIMCALC
No Devotions, please see the section below.

[a] http://grimcalc.com/build/CDl1nk - WITH BONUSES
[b] http://grimcalc.com/build/Wq3HBl - WITHOUT BONUSES
[/CENTER]

A Word of Caution First:

One can consider this build as my showcase vanity build. That is, I did not create it with min/maxing in mind. Rather, I wanted to see if I can make my favorite legendary set “work.” I recently scrapped my Blademaster and as a result, had some spare Deathmark sets on hand which came in handy in this build.

I crafted this build based on my former Path of Exile ethos: Build a strong character around a set of synergizing items.

This build is also inspired by JaJaJa’s Tri-element Saboteur. A HUGE SPECIAL THANKS TO HIM for SOME DEVOTION PATH AND SKILL ALLOCATION – ALSO, HIS BUILD IS MUCH STRONGER THAN MINE, so FOLLOW HIS GUIDE IF YOU WANT MORE DPS.

With that in mind, please note to all readers henceforth that for this build to work, YOU MUST HAVE BOTH OF THE REQUIRED ITEMS:

1. NEX
  2. ORTUS

This build can also work by DW GRIM FATE. However, there will be less synergy and you must tune your build towards the dominant element (i.e. FIRE) on Grim Fate. Nonetheless, the procs on Grim Fate is fairly strong. You shouldn’t have any problem clearing enemies.

[COLOR=“Red”]DAMAGE TYPES:

COLD: [/COLOR]This comes from devotions as well as the Deathmark’s set, the Veil of Shadow –resistance also helps us in this. Ofc, it also comes from the blade Nex. Nightblade’s Dual Blades passive also boosts our cold damage. Around 750%
FIRE: Firestrike with Flame Touched and Temper! Devotions also boosts fire damage output by quite bit. Around 841%

Advantages:

1. Respectable Damage – My tooltip is 40K
  2. Admirable surviviability - 11k HP
  3. Supported by various item procs – e.g. Nex’s Shadowbolt + Ortus’s Healing Light
  4. Defensive devotions
  5. High mobility, hit-and-run style gameplay
  6. AoE Procs from Devotions further assist our clear speed
  7. Low mana costs
  8. Easy to play, can be played with one hand

Disadvantages:

1. Item-specific – can be a pain to farm alone w/o GDsidekick (not recommended as your first or even second character if going self-found)
  2. Weaker in some aspects compared to dual blade builds that specialize in one damage type - e.g. DW Stormheart, Ortus x2, Nex x2…
  3. Could do with more HP, as is the case for all melee builds (sitting at 10k).
  4. Debuff comes from item

Attribute Distribution:

I put 65 points into Physique, rest into Spirit, we don’t need cunning at all.

• Physique is needed for HP and OA.
  • Spirit is needed for boosting our elemental damage.
    Alternatively, you can put all into physique but put about 5-10 points into spirit for jewelry requirement.

SKILLS:
Our primary attack skills are:

1. Fire strike + its progeny – I am using firestrike to PROC the Nightblade’s dual blade procs. It is our default attack.
  2. Shadowstrike

Please see GRIM CALC ABOVE

Playstyle:
This is pretty straight forward.

1. Shadow Strike center of mob
  2. Keep attacking until you’ve managed to proc your devotions/nex/ortus

Gears that I use:

Main Hand: Nex/Ortus (Component: Blessed Steel/Imbued Silver) N.B. Our key debuff against bosses/nemesis.

Off Hand: Nex/Ortus (Component: Purified Salt)

Helmet: Deathmark’s Hood (Component: Sanctified Bone)

Shoulders: Deathmark’s Shoulderguard (Component: Silk Swatch)

Chest: Deathmark’s Jacket (Component: Hallowed Ground)

Hands: Voidsteel Gauntlets (Component: Unholy Description)

Leggings: Legwraps of Tranquil Mind (Component: Silk Swatch)

Boots: Golemborn Greaves (Component: Mark of Mogdrogen)

Belt: Ulzuin’s Torment (Component: Antivenom Salve)

Rings: Entropic Coil + Lifegiver signet (Component: Mark of Illusion)

Amulet: Empowered Essence of Beronath (Component: Arcane Lens OR WARDSTONE)

Medal: Badge of Mastery [+5 Fire Strike] (Component: Wardstone)

Relic: Annihilation

NOTE: As for powders, use any you like to boost your resistances, maximum HP, HP/mana REGEN, Damage Reductions!

Devotions: - IN ORDER

Chaos Crossroad 1
Viper 4 (5)
Eldritch Crossroad 1
Hawk 3 (9)
Scholar’s Candle 3 (12)
Remove Eldritch crossroad (-1) (11)
Ascendant Crossroad 1 (12)
Empty Throne (4) (16)
Remove Ascendant Crossroad (-1) (15)

Order Crossroad 1 (16)
Turtle 5 (21)
Crane 5 (26)
Lion 3 (29)

Behemoth (4) (LIFE NODES ONLY + PROC - 33)
Tango the Builder (4) (LIFE NODES ONLY) (37)
Scales of Ulcama (4) (Life + Damage Nodes, NO PROC) (41)

Chariot of the Dead (ALL 7) - 48
Dryad (2) First two nodes - [50]

Leveling Guide:

Lvl 1-10 grab a rifle, use fire strike to clear early mobs.

Lvl 10-40 try to max out nightblade’s mastery, passive AoE Procs until execution. Put some points into Veil of Shadow, Night’s chill, Penumatic Burst, Shadow Strike etc. (Use dual blades from lv 30 onwards)

Lvl 40-55 work on demolitionist tree – flashbang, while maxing out the mastery bar.

Lvl 55-75 work on auras and fire strike tree (Reach brimstone for example).

Lvl 75-85 you can follow my distribution or do whatever that works for you.

NEMESIS SECTION

I have managed to kill the following with this build in one LIFE:

[X] Valdaran, the Storm Scourge (Difficulty 8/10)
[X] Zantarin, the Eternal (Difficulty 5/10)
[X] Moosilauke, the Chillwind (Difficulty 6/10)
[X] Benn’Jhar, the Colossal (Difficulty 6/10)

TBD:

Fabius “the Unseen” Gonzar
The Iron Maiden

ALLIES AMONG ENEMIES

1. I went Death’s Vigil on Normal to boost my cold damage while I was trying to max my nightblade tree.
  2. I continued with Death’s Vigil on Elite.
  3. I switched to Kymon’s Chosen on ultimate.

Discussion Section:

Q: Isn’t dual wielding Ortus/Stormheart very OP compared to Nex + Ortus?
    A: YES! YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. But it defeats the purpose of this build and we’ll have to readjust our skill tree/devotions entirely to focus exclusively on fire/lightning damage.

Q: Does Dual Grim Fate Work?
A: Yes, same as above.

Q: Why did you max demo tree for Brimstone? Is it necessary?
A: Well, I don’t know where else to put those points, the extra damage is nice I guess.

Q: Why didn’t you put more points into Blast Shield?
A: With turtle shell and my Ortus healing proc, as well as Tip the Scales, Giant’s Blood, I don’t think I need it.

Feel free to leave comments, critiques, suggestions, and ideas! I welcome all of your input! :p;)

Special Thanks

1. Jajaja for his DW Stormheart inspiration
  2. actuanpanda, Ceno, ETK, Generalcash for helping me fine tune this build.
  3. Crate for creating this awesome game.

CHANGE LOG

v.1.0.0 Build Posted 5/30/16
-Completed all sections for the build
-Added screenshots
-Added devotions section
-Added discussion section

v.1.1.0 Build Posted 5/31/16
-Fine tuned build thanks to feedback from Ceno, GeneralCash, Panda, and ETK
-Gear and component shuffle.
-Significant changes:
a) Changed devotion route
b) Better defensive
c) Increased OA by 200
d) Increased damage by 6K (35k->41k)
e) Increased armor by 120
f) Increased resistances: bleeding, chaos, aetherial.
g) Increased HP from 10k to 11k.

Why so many points into spirit, since it make you unable to wear cough Legplates of Valor? But seriously Fabius is much easier with that thing, plus you can ditch a Silkwatch for a Scaled Hide.
I don’t think that you actually need an Aether Soul in your medal, 50% aether resistance is too low for Outcast farming and too overkill for anything else.
And put a Mark of Mogdrogen on your shoes, c’mon.

1. Spirit --> Buff our damage, but 2:1 spirit is also doable; I think we can wear Empowered Legplates of Valor (anti-fabius pants).

2. I am not familiar with armor absorption mechanics. I haven’t tested which is more desirable.

3. I am out of Mark of Mogdrogen. This is a good idea, added.

4. High aether resistance for dealing with Warden and Atherial crystal based toons (which I farm frequently for tainted brain matters and crystals)

Is maxing Dual Blades for +60% Cold Damage and a modicum of Pierce really worth it for you?

Could max Vindictive Flame and shoot your DPS through the roof while bumping your DA over 2k and getting more health regen.

I am not familiar with armor absorption mechanics

At worst, with your setup, you are absorbing 75% of the listed value, which is already the lowest i have ever seen, even on caster builds. Between this, your DA, the mediocre hp and the bleeding resist, you’re basically asking Fabius to rape you.:o

Also using a “brute force” strategy to kill something (ie death>respawn>engage>death>respawn…and so on) should not count as to be capable to defeat it.:wink:

EDIT: just gived a deeper look at what you have equipped: relic, belt, medal, pants, boots, gloves and one ring can all be replaced by item more suited to your build. I would start from the pants as others have said. Actually the amulet is a good choice for this char, but you OA is low and maybe you are better with the Peerless Eye of the same beast until you find another way to improve it.

Ulcanna does almost nothing, as you do not have any vitality bonus. At this point is better to complete Dryad, put on a Belgothian Carnage and enjoy a 3 second Pnematic burst + reduced CD on Dryad and Ortus procs. Turtle can save you for one attack, Blast shield on every attack for its duration: It is a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE difference.

I agree with Ceno that DW doesn’t worth more than 1 points.
I understand that OP just wants to make a working Nexortus build, but honestly using both of them feels like handicapping your self. I’d rather have 2 Ortus on my Saboteur (outdps Stormhearts, on sheet), which ofc defeats the purpose of using the set… I hope they’ll get a massive buff this weekend :rolleyes:

The problem with a build like this is that, like any other char, most of the damage comes from skills and not from the actual weapons. The Firestrike line give good fire, lightning and chaos flat damage, so a build like jajaja’s is by default the best choice, as it is optimized to make the best use of this fact.

But this do not mean that the OP should give up on his/her idea, also because he/she already know that this is an “inferior” build. Nightblades have some skills that can aid in this sense, namely Night’s Chill and Execution. The first debuff cold even before you have landed your first blow, and this is usefull to speed up things against trash mobs, while the other give you some flat cold damage, although it is not so reliable as it only trigger 1/5 of the time at best.

All considered, his/her char only need to be reworked following the suggestions that the OP should find more useful. I have since long time a sabo that uses those sword, and it can clear all the ultimate content, including nemesis and BoC without dying once and with reasonable speed.

Go full physique, spirit is ineffective at best and health/DA are mandatory.

Also, you might want to try 2x Nex, it’s better than the set.

Thanks to all the feedback everyone!

To be sure, I will test out some of the recommendations offered above when I get home from work.

There is nothing I can do about attribute distributions at this point, but I will tweak gear, devotions, and masteries to see if it will turn out for the better.

I wholeheartedly agree that dual wielding Nex x2 or Ortus x2 or Stormheart x2 is much stronger than Nex + Ortus. I too hope that the devs can tweak the set.

There is nothing I can do about attribute distributions at this point

If you do not mind using an external app, you can use something like GD Stash. Is in the tools section of this forum.

With your actual physique, you also cannot wear some crucial items (like Emp Leg of Valor), and as General said, spirit is almost useless to you.

I played a dual-wield Saboteur using Ortus & Nex (before Jajaja posted his :wink: Stormheart one)…however there were a lot of Saboteurs going round the forums at that time and I didn’t think that mine added anything new to what anyone else had posted!

I can post a grim calc later if the op would like for comparison purposes! But I went a very different devotion route, aiming towards Ulzuin’s torch and a lot more offensive

…my overall conclusions were however that Saboteurs’ are very good builds for new players as they have pretty low gear requirements and are very easy to play self-found (outcast burning pauldrons & legion fire starter)! Given a choice, however, I would play my dual-wield spellbreaker as it has a quicker clear speed, more survivability and is a lot more fun haha

It has a quicker clear speed than the Stormheart version of the Sabo?

In my experience double Ortus Commando is better than double Stormheart Sabo.

Mobpack clearspeed is comparable but the Commando has substantially better critrate which is more important vs bosses.

I only asked because the Fab video shows his double Ort spellbreaker killing Fabius in over a minute or so, whereas I can typically take him down in 12-15 seconds with a revamped Stormheart Sabo.

This is mine. I used to have another one, but it got deleted as it was disappointing.

A bit more OA, let’s say like the commando posted above, it’s the only thing i really want to improve (maybe switching the Essence with Peerless Eye, when i can).

Thank you for all the constructive feedback.

I have made significant changes (read: improvements) to the build.

The HP, damage, devotion, skill distribution, gear, and resistances have been altered.

Two new videos have been added.

I tested dual wielding Ortus, I gain 5k more tooltip sheet dps.

We are flogging ourselves by dual wielding Nex + Ortus since our damage is lower than dual wielding two blades of the same name.

I will wait for another round of peer review and critique before I submit this to the guide compendium

I tested dual wielding Ortus, I gain 5k more tooltip sheet dps.

This is strange. On my sabo posted above my dps is actually worse with two Ortus (around 100 less). Also you lose 2 level of Fire Strike, the Nex proc (CD of 0,5 sec, mine does around 3000 cold damage.) and the set proc (meh).

It depends, really, to me 2xOrtus is the highest dps combination:

Here’s my fuck all defense guy:
2xOrtus:

Nexortus:

You I can understand, because you are clearly abusing fire dmg, but on the OP setup, which should have similar +% cold dmg as mine, or even more as it is wearing some Deathmark’s items, i cannot explain a 5k dps gain just switching Nex with another Ortus.