Screen Freezing problem !

bought the game yesterday on sale from steam, and started playing it, all was well and good for 30 mins and then outta blue the game just froze like hardcore screen frozen, no response to mouse or keyboard, windows aint responding either, game was on full screen mode. the only pausible option was to hard reset, which really hurts knowing that it effects my pc so badly doing that.

Specs :
OS - Windows 10 64-bit
Motherboard - MSI 970 Gaming
Processor - AMD FX 6300 six core processor 3.50ghz
RAM - 8GB Corsair Vengeance single stick
Graphics - AMD radeon r9 series ( sapphire dual-x r9 270x )

Windows 10 full updated, graphic card drivers fully updated, directx reinstalled and updated. i checked all the possible updates mentioned in reddit and steamcommunity, did the windowed borderless mode (which only worked for me like once from hard resetting then it was back to normal way of hard resetting), changed compatibilty to win 7, every possible solution suggest but in no luck for me. please do help me out over here. i do love this game genre but i am so frustrated with the constand random freezes, hard resetting everytime just breaks my heart apart & my pc.

Yep, same here. Funny that it just started today, had 40+ hours without crashes then suddenly it’s every 30 mins. Guess it’s hard to fix :furious:

I have 400+ hrs on GD and today the nightmare started:

After like 5-20 min the screen suddenly freezes but I can hear and control the game in the background (abilities/menues). But I couldnt opened the steam overlay. Had this the 10th time in a row today, lost my SoT run due it :confused:

Win10, Nvidia (Debug Mode already enabled) Normally everything should be updated automatically. I wish I could something like a crash report, but it doesn’t seems to be a crash in this case.

Start with this post…
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?p=423747

… And read the following posts, and the link provided there.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

It usually happens to me early after starting… although I have also played for hours before anything happens… then when it does crash, it causes the whole machine to restart… And I am having no other problems with almost 100 other games I have on my system…:mad:

happened to me last night for the first time, and the game was up and running for 3 days straight with alot of alt-tabbing/youtube/movies

I can relate. Thats happened to me once!. Not a pleasant feeeling…not a pleasant feeling at all!

yep just bought the game on sale and graphics freezes but i can move around in the game behind the frozen screen so game is still running. it happens about 10-15 min into the game each time and has done it every time i try to play. and from what i have read everywhere it is ALL different systems, components, mobos, cpus, ram etc. it is even happening on diff OS systems so it is NOT just win10.

so from what i piece together it is either steam implementation of the game (wrapper) or it is the game itself. so DON’T blame hardware and tell people to buy a new vid card like was said here… especially if the system specs exceed the ‘recommendations’ for play.

if you ain’t got a bloody clue then admit you ain’t got a bloody clue so people will not buy this game anymore. if i had read all the crap i have been reading today i would NOT have bought it even for 50% off!!! what a bummer and a waste of money :furious:

p.s i use AMD 7870 vid card and AMD 4300 quad cpu on a MSI 970A-G46 mobo with 16 Gb RAM and have no problems with ANY other game or software except for GD. and NO i do not have anything overclocked or any enhancement third party software

Try different video drivers. Either the latest, or rolling back to older drivers.

It is also possible the video card is overheating, though that typically has different symptoms such as artifacting on the screen.

If you can still move around in the game despite a frozen screen, that is video drivers failing and not recovering.

I think I may have found a fix for this issue - Run the game in Windows 8 compatibility mode. I’ve had the same problem for months, but I tried this fix last night and didn’t get any crashes for the over 2 hours I played (I used to get several crashes in that time span).

Same here, bud. Bought it in the last price off sale on Steam to give the game a try as I heard good things about it and as a huge fan of ARPG games. First impressions were very good. The game seems to have a solid gameplay. But after I reached level 6 with my very first char the problems started. With me it is crashing with less than 3 minutes of actual gameplay. Funny thing is, I have been playing PoE for a while (almost same style, same graphics and same video card requirements) and I don’t have this kinda problem. The same with many other steam games i play.
reading all the comments in this tread I have come to a conclusion that this is not hardware at all. It is some incompatibility with video drivers or even Windows 10 DirectX, or something like it.:frowning:

Solutions tried so far: Compatibility mode (Windows 7 and 8). Does not work. Crashes continue the same. No improvement at all.
Set Affinity to 1 processor/thread: Tried both (1 processor, 2 threads and 1 processor, 1 thread) with no success. Same crashes. No improvement.

Crate, please shed a light upon this matter, 'cuz it is affecting a good number of players who are trying to have a good experience out of this game you worked so hard to put together and launch.:slight_smile:

I found interesting solution for my self.
i turn off music and ambient sounds and my fos still more stable.
My proc i5. Onboard realtec.

I have same freezing problem!
I can play other game with no problem ,so I think video card or driver is all right.
This problem only happened in GD.

Exactly. The same here. I have even contacted Grim Dawn support by e-mail to help with this matter.
Eric Sexton replied me with these first repair instructions:
Run the repair.exe utility (It is usually located here):
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\Common/Grim Dawn

Update DirectX:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

Update VC++ Redistributables, mainly 2015 86x
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

Verify Files as described here:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

In the Video Options set the Window Mode to Windowed (Borderless).

Well, all that didn’t work for me. Then I’ve replied him with all the screenshots confirming that all repairs and installs were done.

So, he sent me an “options.txt” file with all video settings in low and with all extra features disabled (Triple Buffering, Post Processing, Detail Objects, etc.). Actually I had to disable V-Sync myself (with V-Sync freezes were still happening). The options file with V-Sync off is attached to this post.

It seems to have worked as I have been playing for hours with no freezing.

After that I will reactivate video features gradually and check what works and what doesn’t.

Last but not least, following the suspects about Cloud Saving, he sent me this options file with that disabled. So, this is actually the first test I will have to do. I will post an update when I have the results.

I am with BD on this 100%

This is the exact problem. The gave saves and things are being drawn, refreshed, whatever conceivable thing is happening and the program just slams to a stop because the save happened at the wrong time in coordination to what was going on in the game, whether it be too much FX or crossing a boundary, porting, eating a peanut butter and banana sammich, whatever.

in any case it the saving that is causing the freeze hiccups mixed in with many other variables that causes the crashes.

Fix the way the game saves and when and I would likely guess many of the freeze issues would be taken care of.

My game ONLY freezes when the computer is accessed to save. When I see a slight bit of what looks like lag or stutter i know a problem is building so I stop and do not let my character move, nor do I do anything for a minute or so. So far I have had zero freezes (well, still once in a while) when i see that death stutter begin and I say “whoa there young fella” and let my avatar sit and let the game calm down a bit. I too am tired of losing one use skeleton keys devs.

Devs need to look at a different save architecture that doesn’t interact with the rest of the system or place saves on low priority when the game starts to load up for whatever feasible reason.

Note to the devs. I am not going to change anything on my computer as I have seen some of you devs mention. This is not a problem with the computers but your program. I have far more advanced programs that work flawlessly and to state I need to debug my video card or look for new drivers or roll back to older drivers is…well, you know, I will be polite.

this is a great game, but it is faulty and needs to be fixed. if you cannot fix it, I suggest you get some outside help, say, ask Blizzard diablo devs or bite that pride and ask for help evaluating your coding. I understand money may be an issue for you folks. Just stating its your game that is the problem, not so many people having the same issues and you devs trying to have everyone adjust things on their computers so your game behaves as it should.

I am waiting for your next dlc to purchase so you havent totally pissed me off yet. Grin.

In fact, I will even help you, you send me an executable, or instructions on how to shut off, that disables constant saving and puts me at old school manual quick saving and i will see just how much more or less the game freezes, just throwing an idea around for you. Currently I still have 1 crash per two hour session

the save files are so small, they should not be noticeable and easily fit into the disk cache.

Having to load new areas / assets on the other hand might have an impact. By impact I mean cause refresh rate to drop / stutter, but never a freeze / crash. Freezes / crashes are likely graphics driver issues.

Since I got the GoG version of the game, I followed this:

TO FIX HANG / FREEZE ISSUES WITH GRIM DAWN v 1.0.0.9

• make sure Grim Dawn is not running
  • locate the file “d3d9.dll” in your Grim Dawn install directory and either rename it, or move it somewhere else (like your desktop)
  • run Grim Dawn and test to see if you still have any hang issues
  • if you notice any other issues, then simply move the file back (or rename to original)

taken from a thread by BigMike888, and no more crashes or freeze for me.

I can execute [Age of Empires 2 HD] after GD freezed.
And I try to run AoE2 with freezed GD,the AoE2 can run all right.
So don’t tell me my video card or driver has problem.The problem is in GD.

PS:
played in Win10 64bit + Nvdia 560ti

This was the solution here for me. I had over 100+ hours invested without any issues, took a break from GD for a little bit only to come back and experience random crashes and freezing screens. The game was basically unplayable. After trying A LOT of different suggestions and work arounds with no luck I tried starting in Windows 8 Compatibility. Ever since I’ve been able to run with max settings in full screen for extended play sessions without any issues. Think someone from Crate/Steam might want to double check GD’s Windows 10 compatibility. Not the only game I’ve had Win 10 compatibility issues.

I’ve had this game since early access and this just started happening to me today. I tested putting it in compatibility mode with Windows 8 and the game won’t even start. The only thing I did a bit before it all started was change my resolution to have 75hz and Vsync to off. Then it started this freezing with sound. So I put all settings back to the way they were and it’s still happening.