Seal of Ancestry

Hi all,

Could someone quickly clarify the mechanic for this seal. As of now I’m assuming that it functions in a similar fashion to Turtle Shell in that once triggered it will absorb a fixed amount of damage before failing. But with this seal are the two protected damage types (aether, chaos) summed to failure or is the amount per damage type? And which takes priority for damage absorption? Turtle Shell or Seal of Ancestry?

Thanks.

I’m pretty certain that it’s the sum total of both damage types.

Think of it as crab’s proc.

EDIT: In other words, it will block 10,000 damage from aether and/or chaos sources.

Thanks. Someone else stated much the same. Just need to stand still until whacked a bit lol!

For the sake of brevity, and should this thread keep continuing, let us term these damage absorption procs as ‘forcefields’ because that’s what they effectively are.

Logically speaking, I speculate that these sources of damage absorption stack. While I cant say for certain which take priority, I would assume that the one which procs first will be the first to go.

The possibility exists that both fields will be active at a given moment. Ancestral Ward should trigger on any chaos/aether based attack that passes through all other defense mechanics, and Turtle Shell will proc on the player’s health being reduced to 40% or lower of max health. This is where I become confused as to their ordering and as to any calculation made for damage absorption as they are both Damage Absorption mechanics and are both last in the ordering of defences.

So assuming that both fields have been raised (red alert) and that both fields are 90% intact:

The player is struck by a weapon dealing 2000 physical damage and 1800 aether damage. The maximum defensive yield might be obtained by the physical damage being deducted from Turtle Shell only and the aether damage being deducted from Ancestral Ward only, but this assumption relies on the game logic operating with a degree of sophistication. However, if Turtle shell is allowed to absorb all of the combined incoming damage first then we will not achieve the maximum defensive yield as we are reducing an ‘absorbs all’ shield whilst leaving an ‘absorbs X’ field unchanged. And therein lies my query?

Ah. I see.

In all honesty, while I do agree with you completely, I do think that the answer to the question you seek isn’t entirely practical (no offense :P) for 2 reasons:

1. The net damage absorption remains the same. The cooldown on both these procs are far too long for any inefficacy to truly impact you.

2. I am of the opinion that turtle’s absorption value is too low for this to be entirely noticeable. The fact of the matter is that turtle vanishes almost as quickly as it pops up.

That being said, I suppose it is worth testing. Perhaps someone with more brains than me could use fiendflesh’s mantle (it has a 10k absorb-all field) to do so.

In that single example it remains the same but the ordering will have an impact. My experience of Turtle Shell is that it is frequently still activated after an engagement has concluded and I see much the same thing with Ancestral Ward. In fact, they appear to stay active once proced until the limit of Damage Absorption is reached and the relevant field fails; I’m also assuming that the cool down timer begins after the field fails and this in turn allows for fluctuating Damage Absorption potential. This is primarily caused by the fact that they are last in defensive ordering – and this is also what makes them powerful in defensive terms as a character build will have many other forms of defense employed first.

Where the circumstances indicate that both Fiend’s Flesh and Turtle Shell are active – again, this seems to be a possibility – one might assume that the potential Damage Absorption is simply summed prior to any deduction being made. But there still appears to be a novel scenario wherein Ancestral Ward is also deployed. When considering world areas such as the Necropolis region the likelihood of that novel circumstance increases.

A brief caveat: In relation to this inquiry, I am not discussing Crucible.

I’m also assuming that the cool down timer begins after the field fails and this in turn allows for fluctuating Damage Absorption potential. This is primarily caused by the fact that they are last in defensive ordering – and this is also what makes them powerful in defensive terms as a character build will have many other forms of defense employed first.

Very, very true. If you’d like to understand the mechanics on CD better - http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68791&page=3

one might assume that the potential Damage Absorption is simply summed prior to any deduction being made.

And no, unless fields work on a distinctly different damage absorption mechanism than say procs like blast shield does (which I find highly unlikely, if not they wouldn’t last 1 second), you’re right in stating that they occur last in the defensive order which makes them quite valuable. Hence, my personal predilection for crab. 2260 ele/chaos/aether dmg abspn every 3 seconds? Fuck yes, mate. Fuck yes.

But yes - overall, I concede to your point. I’m sorry I can’t help more. I lack the knowhow needed to test these things.

Not at all, and thanks for hashing it out with me. I primarily use questions to find out what I don’t know, so you have been a great help already. I’ll check that link to learn a little more.

As do I! We have so much in common! ^^

no questions about the functionality

… im just wondering about the costs :confused::confused::confused::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::eek::eek::eek:

1/4 seal of ancestery needs 1 olerons blood

1 olerons blood need 4*3 Chthonic Seal of Binding

so … we need 48 (FOURTYEIGHT) seals to gather one seal of ancestry?
a runebound topaz or seal of annihilation or any other rare components are cheap compared to this.

maybe is it fixable?