Seasons need them badly

I understand the want for seasons, but I think the game is good enough to not have seasons. The game has a good amount of content already. What I do is play D2 and/or D3 for a small part of the season, get bored and then move back to Grim Dawn to play at my own pace.

Maybe things will change with Grim Dawn 2, or not. Either way I enjoy playing the game.

Agree, If Seasons would mean we need to sacrifice a good offline and moddable Game i rather do not (Iā€™m not very fond of Seasons to begin with)

Which iā€™m super grateful for and the Reason why GD is right now my top 1 ARPG on the market and i geniunly hope when GD2 ever happens that it keeps that spirit up.

5 Likes

Easily!!

• I think I personally ā€œsoldā€ over half a dozen people from my other forum on GD after D4 came out and was such a huge let-down :laughing:
4 Likes

I mean - i donā€™t find Diablo 4 in itself a ā€œhuge let downā€ , iā€™d even argue in itā€™s core itā€™s a great (Diablo-)Game, it simply feels on some edges a bit rushed and wouldā€™ve needed some more time before it dropped. So purely from itā€™s content, mechanic and such Diablo 4 had quite the potential to compete with GD for me, if they polish the edges. So it only lands potentially on the second place of my favorites (by the way iā€™ve the habit if i do favorite lists and such, i donā€™t put more than a single entry on it without a very good reason[like a spinoff would be an exception] - so you wonā€™t see something like 1. GD 2, Diablo 2, 3. Diablo 4 and such in my favorite lists. I want some fair variety of and people can already assume that if i put one Diablo game on my top list, itā€™s interchangable with the other entries as well if i like them). Third would still be Torchlight 2 though ngl based if they hold their promise with a true offline mode Last Epoch have a very good chance to push Torchlight 2 down. But back to topic.

My major gripe and thatā€™s general speaking, goes for most games which is why iā€™m rather picky on this and only buy a few exception (like Diablo 4 in this regard) which for most part still bother meā€¦ is that online-only bs. I really hate that. And thatā€™s not only a concious thing like i think to it on purpose or whatever, but i saw it for some examples like - letā€™s say Diablo 3 or Vermintide 2 - which had on PC online-only, and i didnā€™t invest as much playtime as i normally would, cause it geniunly kills my mood and motivation for it. If you bundle that with the Monetization of D4 thatā€™s what frustrates me about D4, but the Game itself is a potential banger to me.

Anyway went too offtopic here back to seasons:
My Problem with seasons is also that i just donā€™t like the FOMO-Essence of it, where you can ā€œmiss itā€ and miss content and features out. I donā€™t like it when Games want to tell me when i should play or not play a game, and itā€™s very disrespecting towards peoples time, because maybe some have like no time to play right now because of work and such and than canā€™t experience the seasons. If it would be mere ā€œleaderboardsā€ than it would be one thing, but so iā€™m not really into this Season concept.

1 Like

Seasons in PoE and Diablo 4ā€¦arenā€™t good. They are usually 20 minutes of story thinly slapped on top of a mechanic for getting certain kinds of items that once you have seen, basically mean nothing because they wonā€™t exist in a few months. Itā€™s really shallow design that screams ā€œwhoa look at thisā€ but obviously doesnā€™t matter becauseā€¦next season is coming. Stay on that mediocre treadmill of games made for people that buy games that exist to enhance investor return on share price.

3 Likes

nop

not every game needs seasons nor should have them/use them :+1:

allow non "live service"games to exists and enjoy their differences/you getting the alternative and option to appreciate both

3 Likes

i understand wat ur saying an thats fine but thats y all arpg that have seasons have a eternal realm or standard for the people such as urself can play whenever on there own time an pace if thats what u like go for it but u need to understand there is a whole community of people that far outnumber that way that do want seasons they just want be here in a grim dawn forum but regardless we r the majority an u r the minority so wat im saying is if a game had seasons an it would still also have a eternal realm like poe an diablo have had for a decade so that way its good for everyone in grim dawn compared to other arpgs there is no choice an for u an me the consumer more choice is better i hope u undertsand

First of all:
No - i highly disagree on that. There is not an good compromise or solution so far, because letā€™s say you start playing Diablo 4 right now with an Eternal Realm Character, you miss out the new Quests, the Season-Mechanic with the Blood and the Rewards (bundle into it the battle pass as well). As a Eternal Realm Player you get most often less contentā€¦ like in D2 back in the day you didnā€™t even have certain rune words. So thatā€™s a problem. IF it would be ONLY Leaderboards we could have a debate over it, but outside of it, it kinda threats eternal realm players as a second class citizien which they try to force into seasons with the FOMO bs.

Secondly:
Also i disagree on the point of ā€œmore choice is betterā€ when said choice might hurt the other portion of the playerbase (like mentioned above - getting sorted out of new content and mechanics because season exclusive).
I mean take the following as a anecdotal evidence, but most often if you read about people hyping GD up is because it doesnā€™t follow the modernized live-as-a-service seasonal approach, but rather the more traditional way: You buy a finished game with a lots of content and to do. ā†’ then they drop Updates or Expansion if they feel it fits. And no FOMO or weird Monetization-Mechanics. Thatā€™s a part about GD which the GD Fandom hypes about. If you would take that away you would hurt that. Even further you risk - where as now GD have itā€™s own target audience and market which they please, that you push GD to the mainstream and a different market, which than would mean they would need to compete with Games like Diablo 4 or Path of Exile (2) - and that market is highly over-saturated. And esp. live-service games where itā€™s kinda a neccessity to spent a lot of time it could hurt the Game because for one - you might drive away their fandom which 've gone into the game esp. for the non-live-service-non-seasonal approach, for another you might not appeal to the other audience because how timeconsuming and moneyfocused it is and there isnā€™t a good reason to shift over to another time,- and money-sink. Like look at Battle-Royale or MOBA as example, how many of them failed? Not even matter how good they are but rather they cannibalize themself because how much maintance they ask for the players.

I donā€™t say a Grim Dawn 2 wouldnā€™t have some aspects to tackle and stuff to modernize. And itā€™s not like iā€™m 100% entirely against Season at all, what iā€™m saying is this feature is on a very sensitive spot which - if at all - when introduced needs to be done very carefully and right and their focus should still be the ā€œeternal realmā€ players because thatā€™s the target audience of the first Game already. And that nothing - not even seasons justify that parts of the core get ruined (like Modding, Singleplayer-Experience(in offline) etc) which made GD such an appeal in the first place.

I mean GD seems pretty popular without Seasons so they donā€™t even really need it and for the few itchā€™ers who love Seasons there is the great Community-Seasons by @RektbyProtoss. And even if it would be ā€œnicheā€ such Games are important tooā€¦ i mean one of many reasons why Indie-Games are such an deal and popular is because they are allowed to be niche and donā€™t need to follow investors and greedy profitā€¦

2 Likes

Not something Iā€™m interested in and I think you havenā€™t grasped the differences between the companies. Crate Entertainment last I heard had 20 people, Blizzard and Grinding Gear Games have hundreds dedicated to churning out content every few months. Thatā€™s a big difference on top of all the other things that Zantai pointed out.

Also from what Iā€™ve read since I donā€™t play D4 or PoE is that D4 pretty much flopped as far as content went and PoE leagues are becoming less and less fun as well. So both are going downhill from the sounds of it.

Another factor is burn out; churning content out like this takes a toll - sometimes a big one - on people. As Medierra , founder of Crate, said ages ago the company has a great team and he wants to keep them happy and enthusiastic about what theyā€™re working on, not getting bored and burnt out doing the same things for years so they go looking for jobs elsewhere. One of the reasons he himself stepped back from the day to day work on GD was he was beginning to feel burnt out as heā€™d been working on ARPGā€™s for over a decade so wanted to do something different. Crate being totally independent of any publishers allowed him to make that choice.

Not every ARPG needs seasons and such stuff. GD is one that doesnā€™t and I sincerely hope that Crate keep to that if/when they get around to making a GD2. Iā€™d much rather have the option of the game being moddable than being restricted to always online season stuff. Live service or games as a service are just another way to fleece customers. I prefer to pay up front for my games and thatā€™s it.

3 Likes

And the fleecestealer knows!

3 Likes

or they could have spent a lot more money while making no more or even less than they did, because there is plenty of big name competition in that field while GD found a niche that distinguishes it from the competition and lets it be successful

because that is what you want and you believe that everyone wants the same thing as you. Someone probably does, you are an example of that, but many others do not.

I do not want a constant treadmill, I do not play seasons in any game and actively avoid games that have seasons

1 Like

do you actually have numbers to back that up, or is that just wishful thinking?

Even if it were true, which I doubt, that still leaves a sizable market that does not want them, and games that cater to that audience. Not all games try to be GTA or whatever, just because that sold more copies than any other game, that is just a flawed logic.

2 Likes

Iā€™m guessing that @Alucard7 is having such a hard on for seasons because heā€™s too young of a gamer to remember pre-seasons gaming, not to mention pre-online gaming period.

3 Likes

Not sure if someone mentioned this but you can just do it yourself. Delete all your savefiles after a certain period and start over. Repeat the process based on the amount of time you give each season. Done.

Fan-made seasons arenā€™t any less legit than the ones made by devs.

3 Likes

add micro/macro transactions, loot boxes and season pass which are objectively GOOD for the players and companies !

1 Like

I would argue that the fan-made seasons for Grim Dawn have been fantastic additions to the vanilla game play and have legitimately given the game developers ideas for future content.

4 Likes

Donā€™t forget on-line only. Itā€™s a great advancement in the field.

1 Like

lolwut?

Oh right, Iā€™m arguing with a kid, who also for what ever reason, still hasnā€™t learnt to see the bigger picture. Anyhow:

1. While Crate have released 2 cosmetic packs, those were created to service the communityā€™s stated desire to support Crate for being so awesome.

2. The inclusion of illusions into the game happened roughly at the same time, which allowed players huge freedom to dress their characters as they see fit, without the need to add more cosmetics.

3. Furthermore, in order to sell such things constantly, the game usually needs to be always online in order to prevent players from pirating the stuff instead. But also to show off to others to say ā€œlook what I have!ā€ and so help drive Fear Of Missing Out. This creates problems for anyone whoā€™s vulnerable to that stuff, but I havenā€™t had my coffee yet, so I suggest checking out The Jimquistionā€™s episodes on DLC and cosmetics for the dets. For frankly, there art ethical qualms with the whole fucking thing.

4. But thereā€™s an added problem, the above requires expensive infrastructure to run on, even if itā€™s leased, itā€™s still a drain on the budget, along with the people needed to build the net code, run and fix it. This is one of the key reasons you donā€™t really see any indie MMOā€™s or Live Service games, because those costs are too expensive for them to handle in the long run.

5. And then thereā€™s the costs associated with content, which you need artists, 3d modellers, programmers, writers and management and direction to bring it all together and into the game and running properly. None of which is a trivial, cheap or easy thing to do. For if youā€™ve ever played Destiny 2 youā€™ll know the regular fun of things going wrong with season updates and gear getting disabled (hello Telestro lawl), never mind the costs of doing this in Fortnite et al.

6. So having established that setting this stuff up requires significant resources, where exactly is an independent game studio like Crate going to get that? Oh right, theyā€™re meant to sell out, even though the devs have been on the record multiple times theyā€™re not interested in that stuff. And their income most definitely isnā€™t going to pay for this stuff either, so hello the economic and studio-based reality that this stuff isnā€™t possible.

7. Then thereā€™s perhaps the biggest issue of all - as various failures into the live service segment of the market have shown, much like with MMOā€™s, thereā€™s limited space in the market for them, as players only have so much time and money and social connections. So they tend to stick to 1 or 2 games and play those as their main live service/MMO. Which makes entering the current market a shitshow on whether or not youā€™ll be able to gain enough players to meet your needs to keep the game viable.

8. Thus - show us all the evidence then that your take can totes overcome the problems above. Which you canā€™t, because you havenā€™t even got the slightest grasp on the real world costs and problems lawl.

Ergo, given the above, I hereby establish that your demand that Crate provide Seasons is completely detached from the economic reality of the Live Services Seasonal content model, and the reality that Crate doesnā€™t want to be a big company either or sell out their independence.

And Iā€™m sure your reply will be totes measured and rational and you wont through a tanty at having an anvil dropped on your fallacious, badly thought out ā€œopinionsā€.

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Right, fuck this, I need coffeeeeeeee. Oh and I pulled the above off on crap sleep, zopiclone side effects (minimal, thank Korvaak) and having a mound of other thingsā„¢ I should be doing. Because ADHD lawl.

1 Like

please donā€™t ever change :pray: :trophy: :1st_place_medal: :man_bowing: :people_hugging: :partying_face:

5 Likes

good joke, you missed the :V at the end