Shaman Primal Strike not casting but activating cooldown timer

Hello,

First of all, I want to thank the team at Crate for giving us this absolute masterpiece that is Grim Dawn. I’ve played my share of games and only a handful are as good and satisfying as GD. Fantastic work.

And now for the bug report. Since the new 1.2 patch, I see an odd behavior with the Primal Strike skill for the Shaman build.

I’m on version 1.2.0.1 Hotfix 1 and the issue is that I have PS assigned to the right mouse button, I’m close to an enemy or enemy group (or even alone, for that matter), I press the right mouse button, nothing happens on the screen (no lightnings coming down) but the cooldown timer starts ticking. This was never an issue before. Hope the description is good enough.

EDIT: I should mention it’s not that it never works, but it doesn’t more often than it does. :frowning:
Thanks!

EDIT 2: So, interesting, seems like the behavior of the Primal Strike casting changed at some point and didn’t realize? Since a quick press of the mouse button most often than not fails to cast PS but still activates the cooldown timer, I tried holding the mouse button to see, and it’s weird. It actually always casts PS correctly, but the time it takes to cast it is not consistent. At times it is cast almost instantly, at others, it takes more than a second, which, at lower character levels, with less resistances and more basic gear could mean the difference between dying and living to see another day. Before the recent major updates, casting PS was faster… does anyone else have that same feeling?

I remember @fordprefect writing about it in the past

@tqFan , interesting, I’ll see if I can find that post. Thanks for that.

miss, dodge/deflect, fumble, i think this is normal interaction iirc?

i think it has to do with right-click behaviour which seems not to track move to any given target but just moves to the initial location of your target when you first clicked and then activates exactly there when your char arrives. if the target moved a bit in that time and since attacks like primal strike or amarastas blade burst need a target and cant actually attack the ground nothing happens.

at least that was my working theory of that when i leveled with abb on right-click and it seemed to miss a bit too often. id have to actually test stuff to be sure its not only enemies with dodge but it was something i noticed.

it shouldn’t trigger the cooldown tho iirc
you can test this easily tho, stand anywhere without a monster/target, RMB the ground to “force walk into range+execute attack”
if it triggers the cooldown doing that in ex devil’s crossing/without a target, that’s it
if it doesn’t, then it’s likely just regular hit detection interaction, ie miss/dodge/fumble

@bdurruti and @Gnomish_Inquisition ,

Thank you both for breaking down what seems to be the correct mechanics / behavior of that skill. I’ll definitely give it a try later today and post my findings, but I believe you both are on point on that, and I really appreciate your thoughts on that.

EDIT: So, activating Primal Strike inside a safe place (any city), aiming at an empty spot, doesn’t do much, just builds some static around the character, no lightning strikes and no cooldown timer activation, as expected. Outside the city, same behavior. When close to enemies, I noticed that after spending a skill point in Torrent and Storm Surge, the Primal Strike activation seems to have changed. Now, a quick single click, even on an area containing a mob (meaning, hard to click anywhere that’s not an enemy, like the floor) most of the times doesn’t activate SP but also doesn’t activate the cooldown. Holding the mouse until SP activates, then works as expected, but, again, it’s not immediate, it takes a bit for the lightning to strike. Anyways, I guess this can be considered resolved. Thanks guys.

Yes, it still feels weird but apparently it’s all due to mechanics. I understand using spam version having miss shots due to fumble or low OA but having it with CD version and losing it’s cooldown aswell is very annoying and frustrating.

1 Like

to be fair, if a miss didn’t engage the CD it would basically completely trivialize the miss as you’d get a free do over until you hit :sweat_smile:

I can’t disagree with that logic, @Gnomish_Inquisition . :vulcan_salute:

True that, @fordprefect . Thanks for all the fish.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.