Was trying to aquire the new shamlers MI to complete my collection of transmog and to plan a potential new character, and it made it obvious that shamblers are waaay too rare, especially for their MI drop rate. only having a handful of them that can spawn across the map, with multiple spot where they aren’T even guaranteed to spawn, is not great
Yeah I noticed this trying to farm one for my physical Archon. An effective 1% drop rate from the rarest enemy type is just insanity.
To get 1 I had to do around 20 runs through arkovian foothills/kymons retreat and I have no idea how many savage totems. And then of course it had terrible affixes.
Man i had a level 10 primordial stone for smite! I found it on a shambler that spawned from the water pump totem. Put it on a fresh bersker+oathkeeper and had tons of fun before beeing shotgunned by viloth. Then i tried to farm a low level primordial stone in arcovian foothills but hit the same low drop rate wall and low spawn wall of the shamblers that you describe! Man early level smite with this weapon is so fun however!
Yup. Seems kind of excessively rare, this one. A bit of an outlier in the semi-target farmable item universe.
The existence of MIs suggests implies a design choice intended to allow players to play <build X> throughout the game.
However for the primordial core/stone it just flat out doesn’t seem feasible to acquire one without excruciating (NOT FUN) effort until level 55+ - and I’m not picking that as random: this is the lowest level one I’ve found since release. This is kind of underwhelming given that the min level for these items is 10.
Depends on the Shambler actually. Mossy has a 2% drop rate with a 50/50 split on whether it will be a Core or Stone (so effectively 1% for each) and Stonewrought has 3% with a 50/50 split. And Hero Shamblers have 10% (10.08% to be exact) with a 50/50 split.
The drop rates are fine, compared to most other MIs. But the spots where you can actually kill Shamblers are very few.
I created a new merit character and spammed only the best options I could think of for Shamblers from level 6.
Starting with the yellow Shamblers in a2, then Pine barrens/jagged waste, and smugglers passage and the mountain deeps at level 10 or so. both have totems that can spawn Shambler heroes with reasonable reliability.
Kept xp pots off, obviously. I was level 32 before I got 2 stones to dual wield (I’d also dropped 2 cores). The first dropped at level 25. Just killing the troggs and manticores by accident god knows how many of those mis I got, the de and briarthorn shields, pox sword, re dagger, both manticore belts, 14 million blues (oke getting warmongers shoulder a legit bonus).
The experience for setting up a build with these items is VERY VERY far removed from any other non-direct target farmable MI with a sub-40 min drop level that I can think of. The only comparable nightmare mi is the occultist/necro lunal’valgoth belts but a) that’s a 40+ mi, and b) that’s a 50-50 on a direct farm, so you’re not going to spend 5 hours and 25 levels getting the right one, are you - it’s just a pain in the dick.
– edit: have thought of a couple. Low level sandspitter and riftclaw slicer can be kind of hard to get as well. These have similar droprates to the maces. riftclaw you can eventually force into essentially target farmable (onarix). you’re probably in 20s before you’ll get this, having run A1, ramzul, and sprinted to vanguard. Sandspitter is harder as basically the same droprate as the maces, but is an order of magnitude easier on the basis that there are natively way more snakes than shamblers.
Options
-
Up the rate (boo, but still yay). For context Vampiric bonewall has a base drop rate of 8% from the trog flesh rippers, which also have a 6% separate roll for the other 3 Mis (2% each). So have an aggregated mi drop rate of about 13.5% from a super common champion mob. This is compared to the Shambler champions 2% aggregated chance where those champion mobs are as rare as rocking horse shit.
-
up the Shambler spawns (yay but extra yay)
-
And/or put as an additional possible drop on the Ancient Shambler (ehh, boo probably. I’d rather not this option, but would better that than nothing.)
It’s almost like we looked at the exact same info on grimtools or something.
You could combine 2 and 3 and have a small Shambler colony in the vicinity of Ancient Shambler (displacing a few Slith). Solves your problem and also gives Ancient Shambler the chance for a social life.
Probably explains why he stays buried underground - poor guy’s desperately lonely ![]()