Significance of gear value

At least in general terms, is more valuable gear usually better? In a pinch I typically go for keeping the more valuable gear rather than conduct a detailed analysis. I’m sure that I am being overly simplistic, but certainly gear value matters…

I know the game has been out for a while, but I had not played it too much until I got the expansion packs that were on sale over Christmas. I have finally started playing again and feel like a newbie. I love the game and I can see how it could consume A LOT of time to research and play. I just don’t always have as much free time as I would like and would rather spend more time playing…

I’m sure nobody here looks at the gear value. Read/watch some beginner guide and you’ll be able to quickly determine more or less which items are better by looking at resistances, armor, %damage/conversion to your damage type, + skills etc. it doesn’t need to be very thorough. If you try to simplify it like that, then you’ll most probably only gimp yourself.

GD is one of those games you need to invest some time/work into to get far more satisfaction and enjoyment later. If you’d like instant gratification without too much effort (nothing wrong with that and everyone needs it to some degree) than it’s probably not a game for you.

Also you can follow a leveling guide that will guide you and say which items to take (and you’ll just completely ignore the rest and maybe even use the loot filter) so that you can learn the itemization along the way. Probably the best thing for you at the moment if you don’t have much time.

Thanks. I was afraid of that… I have no trouble putting some time into research, reading lore, examining gear… all the things that make me prefer GD to say, Diablo, which is probably more attuned to “instant gratification.” I am just looking for the right balance. GD does give you a lot of choices, and that is a good thing. I will ignore value in the future and see where that takes me.

correction: diablo 3. with its arcade-like gameplay and loot pinatas all around.
meanwhile diablo 2 and gd share the same need to research gears and builds with zealous fervor. gd is slightly more forgiving and generous with its gears than diablo 2 though.

2 Likes

You know, I don’t think that I have ever played the earlier Diablo games. I was referring to Diablo 3, of course. It is the only one that I know.

while diablo 3 does a great job of familiarizing hack-slash-loot isometric arpg genre to the masses of the world, many diablo 3 fans forgot that diablo 1 & 2 are the games that set up the foundation for this genre’s communities (for both developers and players). to respect the diablo franchise, players should have played all the trilogy games, then appreciate/criticize their strength and weaknesses.

without diablo franchise, titan quest would never be born. and grim dawn will never be born too since it uses heavily modified titan quest engine.

and to truly see the full extent of those choices, we as players should research and experiment with many varieties of builds. only then will we truly enjoy the full experience offered by grim dawn.

2 Likes