Single Class Solution

Hello Community
let me present my idea:

What about making a “neutral” mastery that can be chosen as the second one?

I always liked the idea of a single mastery build.
The single class mastery could be designed in a way just to help pushing some stats and offer some wps and some decent skills for all types of playstyles. I dont think this should be hard to implement but would offer so much more variety in builds.

I am quite sure crate could come up with a good solution

Its kind of sad it not being viable to run a single mastery build

Feedback is welcome :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: Yeah i am not thinking about it as in terms of a mastery like the others. More in terms of simple quality of life skills to improve the synergy in a single mastery class build.

just one spamable skill of each playstyle, melee, caster, range, for pet style a pet and/or a buff/debuff proccer
One kind of circuit breaker/heal
Some passives and thats it

Really it should just provide so much stuff so each mastery is able to standalone

I am getting ur standpoints but still i think the current system loses out om much potential not integrating single mastery buildsss

Just thinking on the idea and not whether it should or shouldn’t be added.

For a single mastery build, personally I’d prefer nothing more than a 2nd mastery bar (1-50 or 51-100 whichever works) so I can continue to add to base health / energy, but without any added skills so it stays a single mastery build, not a single mastery with a few extra skills. If that makes sense :wink:

Well there would be way too much balancing since besides the class itself they would have to balance EVERYTHING:gear, constellations and components.
Maybe havin a tertiary utility mastery with things people are asking for like damage conversions and weapon damage-modifiers to skills w/out them, some +%total speed etc.?

If you have a second mastery as “neutral”. You will end with two masteries. Your “main” mastery and your “neutral” mastery. So, you will not have a single mastery build.

Let me know if I’m getting this.
You want a second mastery as “support” that can complement any “main” mastery.
Right know I can think about Demo. No exclusive skill, so can be used as “support”, auto attack skill, so can used as “main”, debuff skill, RR skill, total speed skill, can be used for melee or caster.

That’s already been suggested several times before.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51630&highlight=single+mastery

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35581&highlight=single+mastery

Absolutely pointless. Picking a second mastery and investing in its bar only already gives you the added stats.

Since you actually propose a new mastery with some skills you even go farther than that and even invest in skills outside your main mastery. So you might as well invest in 2 or 3 skills of your second mastery.

Your proposal is almost indistinguishable from simply having a regular second mastery at this point. The only difference seems to be that you do not spend your points close to 50/50 but more 70/30. You can do this today already however.

Single mastery builds can work anyway.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68362

There are several older Soldier and Arcanist builds too in the Compendium archives. Of course they haven’t tackled AoM, but they may also work.

It’s not easy since the game is designed for two masteries, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have a lot of fun with just one. I’ve got several single mastery builds to try out: Nercomancer, Inquisitor, Shaman, Demolitionist. They may not work, but I’ll have plenty of fun trying. :slight_smile:

To be fair Arcanist has it going due to Inner focus for gear and low phys req on gear. All you need is to pump health then

I am yet to try making a single class character seriously. Just have a few as mules. I wonder how viable a single class build can be.

Yeah i am not thinking about it as in terms of a mastery like the others. More in terms of simple quality of life skills to improve the synergy in a single mastery class build. :stuck_out_tongue:

just one spamable skill of each playstyle, melee, caster, range, for pet style a pet and/or a buff/debuff proccer
One kind of circuit breaker/heal
Some passives and thats it :wink:

Really it should just provide so much stuff so each mastery is able to standalone :cool:

I am getting ur standpoints but still i think the current system loses out om much potential not integrating single mastery buildsss :rolleyes:

What do single mastery builds offer that the combos don’t, other than a different class name ?

Esp. with your proposal of a neutral 2nd mastery there is nothing whatsoever that it offers over picking a regular 2nd mastery from what I can tell

yeah thats the point :smiley:

its an astethic conflict

if i want to play as an Occultist and choose the sec mastery just for the statpoints and minimal inv in some passive’ish sklills… still the class name changes according to your choice of sec mastery.

Some players actually find it annoying :o

So it makes sense to offer some solution even if it takes at min a different mindset of viewing the game as itself :cool:

And from the Lore/Immersion perspective:

I assume that there are many single mastery npcs around and being the player making those inferior to dual classes seems off to me. So its not even an option of being an Occultist the whole life cause of just missing statpoints from sec mastery makes build so much less viable to play.

Ok I figured out the absolute best solution to this single class “dilemma”:

Remove single class titles. No more aesthetic issues. Now if you choose a single class you will remain title-less and incomplete until you choose a second class.

wow thats a brutal one :rolleyes:

An easier fix, IMO: enable the possibility of choosing the same class again while blocking the skill points in it.

This would enable the extra mastery points while blocking the extra skill points and, to top it off, you’d get to keep the name of the class.

This could further be boosted by, if choosing to go this way, having the “2nd version of our class” not having it’s skills blocked but seriously reduced (capped): about 1/5 (rounded down) of what the normal class has.

For example, soldier:

• 1st class selection has the current cap on skills
  • 2nd class selections has a cap of 3 to Cadence, instead of 16; 2 to Oleron’s Rage, instead of 12, and so forth
  • the way to fix potential problems with +X skills / skills in class / skills in all classes is to have it be applied only to the 1st class selection meaning that, when the 2nd is capped, it stays capped, even with gear with +skills on it: such gear would only influence the 1st class selection.

Interesting points, i like ur idea of how to manage skill but it seems annoying to have skills doubled :wink:

now i get the idea of a upgraded version of the mastery, that would be nuts!
Like u can choose ur sec mastery or choose to upgrade your first.
So you could boost authenticly to the mastery style the mastery dependent areas of build viability:

Example: Demo
If upgraded a exclusive skill pops up in the skill tree :stuck_out_tongue:
Some skills getting synergy between them
alternate pathways of skills
Skillconversion nodes :slight_smile:

omg imagine the possibilitys :rolleyes:

Easiest fix has already been introduced in the modding scene; the ability to invest in the mastery bar beyond 50 points.

in other words there is no actual problem :wink:

And from the Lore/Immersion perspective:

I assume that there are many single mastery npcs around and being the player making those inferior to dual classes seems off to me.

consider them low level, because up to level 20 or so it really does not matter whether you have 1 mastery or 2, only past level 40 or 50 you are usually better off with 2.
Most NPCs are nowhere near that level

that actually is harder than simply adding a mastery with no name, let alone the skill-capped second version of it

It is?

I’m not a programmer so you could very well be right!