Single class support.. thoughts from community?

Inspired by the classless thread i could imagine a “single class mastery” mastery for supporting going only one class being great. :metal:

• Attribute points like normal mastery (1:1:1 ratio an stats)
  • AA for melee/range, one generic spam spell with transmute etc
  • some defensive stuff (minor shield supp, some res)
  • generic buffs/auras
  • maybe even a pet line (what kind of pet can u imagine :slight_smile: )

Just to make going single class a viable option. For my taste it would be awesome to actually being able to go “single class” like solo occu <3

Still i can see why its not an option cause of design phylosophy and somehow still not.
Yeah lost potential for sure that wouldnt require any balancing in terms of items. Those skills doesnt even need to be supported by items or what not. The mastery would be there (only as second pick) just to give the single class option a little boost.

Any thoughts on this?
Stance from the almighty occult master Z? WutFace :zantai:

Same answer as in the other thread. :wink:

Game’s most distinctive feature is the dual class system. You shouldn’t receive incentives for trying single class only. It’s more of a challenge than actual gameplay.

So last bastion for this idea is the modding forum. :wink:

Begone wayward thought! /s

Good luck on the modding if you choose that rabbit hole.

You can get inspiration from the [1.0.7.1] Single Mastery Challenge, which was done prior to the release of Forgotten Gods.

1 Like

I know this Topic comes up from time to time, but for me this whole idea is wonky to begin with, because for me there isn’t a “single-class” but a single “Mastery” which is more like Half-Class - like if you would buy an Car without wheels, or a Burger with only the bread it itself(no stuff like meat or vegetables to actually fill it and make a burger out of it), so the only “single-class” is for me once you choosed two skilltrees a.k.a Masterys.

i dont get your approach.
example: occultist is a class name and the mastery itself.

And that’s where we think differently, because if this would be the case, we would’ve a proper single,- and dual-class system. The Fact that a second mastery is vital for late-game due the attributes and stuff, should tell you, that picking only one mastery doesn’t make it to an singleclass, but rather you only have half of the class because you didn’t pick the other part of the class.

Folks like you make it sound like we have a traditional class system like Diablo - with it’s classfantasy and stuff, but as an extra you can pick a second class… while i’d argue such classfantasy doesn’t really exist in that limiting context, because your character isn’t defined by it’s one mastery, but with its two masteries and the builds you create with them.

And for me it doesn’t make it sense, that you want to play occultist, and than don’t see you actually can if you only choose to put / spent points into occultist and the other mastery for it’s attributes… but your only hangups are that in your charactersheet your class isn’t called occultist because of that.

Wont argue on first and second paragragh. Cant think of anything constructive in that regard.

Yeah thats it. Being able to stay just occu with a no-name mastery (or doubling first mastery bar to possible 100 points when not choosing second one) would be epic. Adding some skills to this “neutral mastery” would make the icing on the cake (even just minor stuff).

Making single mastery approach not just a fun gimmick or challenge for dedicated veterans/players is something i would appreciate. Dont blame anyone for no resonance on this topic. peace.

I always considered and will consider that dual-class system is opportunity, not duty. You choose: take second mastery, or evolve more solo-class abilities to the max.
Idon’t say that is good or bad, I just play game as it is.
Let’s remember Neverwinter Nights: you can even make triple-class character but it also require more management.

2 Likes

i remember back in titan quest i was liking the single class title such as hunter, that i played a lot as single class hunter or warrior or something back then. its weaker than dual class of course, but i really like the class name and can’t be bothered to change it until i got bored and delete the char.

after learning much of the gameplay mechanics from tq and gd, i now consider playing single class/mastery only is a matter of gimping yourself for extreme challenge/aesthetic purpose (ex: you just want to play a soldier, not a witchblade or blademaster or other soldier+… combinations. because you really like the class name or you just want to torture yourself for extra challenge).

guess what? the dual mastery designs of tq and gd also allows you to only invest in mastery points just to increase your attributes. why do people want leveling in arpg like gd? because they want new skills, new equipments, AND increased attributes growth.

in simple rpg designs. warrior gets more strength and health as they level. just like how the soldier mastery points gives you more health, physiques, and cunning compared to spirit and energy.

if you really want to play a single class mastery WITHOUT bothering about the CLASS TITLE, then pick another mastery which offers similar mastery point bonus to soldier mastery. like the nightblade, which offers more cunning than physiques, but the physique and health bonus are still decent, and its spirit and energy bonus are slightly better than soldier’s bonus. both soldier and nightblade are the archetype of warrior/assassin, their bonus attribute points closely resemble one another, leaving you the freedom of picking only soldier skills or nightblade skills just to enjoy ‘single’ class gameplay while having the benefit of attributes growth you got from leveling by only putting the extra skill points into the other ‘support’ mastery’s mastery points.

no need to add convoluted gameplay mechanics or mods just to adhere to the requests of single class/classless builds. they can tweak the system with the method i just describe above, they just have to accept that they don’t get the unique single class title’s aesthetic value when they choose that method.

if they don’t want to use the method i described above, then they should just call the single mastery/classless challenge builds they play as single mastery builds ‘WITHOUT THE NECESSARY ATTRIBUTES GROWTH FROM 2nd MASTERY POINTS’
or classless builds 'WITHOUT THE NECESSARY ATTRIBUTES GROWTH FROM ANY MASTERY POINTS.

here’s an example of options you can choose when you want to play single class build:

1. you pick a soldier. you only put skill points into soldier mastery points and skills. thats it. you play soldier as much as you want. you kept the class title ‘soldier’, but your build’s growth potential is greatly capped to around lvl 50 or something. and options for your build variety is very small because you don’t take another mastery even just for its mastery points.
  2. you pick a soldier. you put skill points into soldier mastery points and skills. and when you’ve picked the core soldier skills you want, you pick nightblade as 2nd mastery. which offers pretty similar mastery point bonuses like soldier. but you only increase the nightblade mastery points, not increasing any nightblade skills. this way you get the illusion of playing single class build without hindering your character’s natural attribute points growth from leveling. your build’s options for variety is pretty big because the nightblade’s bonus mastery points gives you easier access to equipment stat requirements. however, your class title changes into ‘blademaster’. accept the class name and the illusion of single player mastery in order to be strong enough to complete most of the game content while playing your ‘single mastery’ build.

my point is, you don’t need to request additional feature to cater to single mastery/classless builds. you just need to tweak the mastery points to accomodate your aforementioned builds. giving you the illusion of playing single mastery/classless builds. of course, you can just still choose to play single mastery only and not picking the 2nd mastery. you just need to ignore the potentially necessary attributes growth from 2nd mastery’s mastery points and suffer the consequences of it in late game. have fun meeting the stat requirements of late game equipments. oh and also have fun getting the necessary RR skills if you play a mastery that don’t have reliable RR such as arcanist.

1 Like

yes yes and yes :drooling_face:

I see there is no sympathy for this approach.
It feels more like its forbidden to go only for one mastery than recommended going for two.

Look… claryfieng personal gaming experience…
My first build was a Witchblade
I looked at the builds in forum and most were physical WBs etc. (picking BoD, CoF only from Occu)
Immersionwise i told myself:
“Nope thats not a “real” Witchblade, just a Soldier who learnt some spells from an Occult master LOOL
It needs Sigil and focus on Chaos or no WBs i said
Vit/Chaos dmg to make it some kind of adept in this field of sorcery”

I know… Its a personal way of approaching the game, no need for someone to come to point me at that (general, not you kuku).

It makes me happy thinking how a class needs to be, wich skills to choose to make it authentic from leveling till end game. Its like my first priority, efficiency comes second.
Thats all on my part i am aware of it, and i love it that way.

But knowing it wouldnt take any effort to not crippling a build furthermore if it wanna stay single mastery is beyond me (looking at minimal solution/ideas in this thread, neutral mastery just for stats).

Yes i dont pick sec mastery just for the name in the charscreen. :star_struck:

People saying “noooooooo pick 2 masteries or go home”.
Assuming like i am a retard who cant pick sec mastery, explaining game mechanics i learned 2 days after playing.

Only tried Occu solo in like 20 builds (even hybrid, not full pet) and wished it wasnt that gimped just because of stas.

Lastly
I asked for opportunity to make a small option for support (or more hehe),
devs (Z) said “No! 2 masteries or gimmick-self-challenge-masochist” :rofl:

I can live with it. :relieved:
Grim Dawn is still the best arpg game ever made… FACT :zipper_mouth_face:

Personally I like the dual mastery system. Its basically the main selling point for this game. It makes me play so much. I make a build around primal strike four times with different supporting class that feel different. Everyone of those class combos I could make some other build out of that would all be very different. I really like Diablo as well with the clearly defined, fleshed out, single classes but I can make one sorceress around lightning skill… I can make another around frozen orb. With GD you can have so many options around one skill where as Diablo really only has one.

Yeah sure. Could be my words too.
Look…

[quote=“nola369, post:13, topic:89642”]
Only tried Occu solo in like 20 builds (even hybrid, not full pet) and wished it wasnt that gimped just because of stas.
[/quote] (stats)

Also tried everthing with Occu. Sometimes similar builds to look wich combo has the upper hand. Seems Shaman is ur favourite one :slight_smile:

Whats ur stance on support for going single mastery? (regarding ideas presented here)
Something u consider is worth being discussed?
Or should it stay like it is? ( no stats, only if choosing sec mastery, class gets changed therefore)

I want to support the idea of a single class mastery system.

The second “neutral” mastery could just include stat points and several enhancements, like increased magic damage for certain damage types, improved melee and ranged combat, some resistances and defenses and offenses. Something like that.

The advantages would be an increase in variety even more. I also like the idea of focusing on one particular mastery, with a second “neutral” mastery as an enhancement of the chosen main mastery.

1 Like

How is having one less mastery somehow more variety? By giving up a second mastery, you are giving up more variety.

A pet Occultist is just a lesser Conjurer/Cabalist/Whatever other Occultist pet build with something else.

Plus Zantai already responded above and there’s no intention of having actual support for single mastery characters. Further discussion doesn’t seem it will do much to sway them.

You are welcome to mod that in.

I see no reason why something nonsensical like a second mastery with very limited abilities to allow you to pretend you play a single mastery should be officially added.
You basically can accomplish this with the existing masteries already by limiting what skills you select from your second mastery.
You put way too much emphasis on the class name, as that is pretty much the only thing you would need this for.

Two masteries make a class. There is no single-mastery class.

PROBLEM SOLVED, NEXT!

Why the charscreen (or mainscreen on starting) states i have an occultist class when i have chosen only occultist as mastery?