Siphon Souls could use more range

Is there any good reason why Siphon Souls has a measly 7.5 meter radius at 12 points when skills like judgment and war cry seem to cover the entire screen?
Using this skill on a ranged build feels awful as you have to wait for enemies to be in melee range when the entire point of a ranged build is that you can kite enemies and kill them before they reach you.

judgment+war cry has different function and purpose?
War cry is a debuff, not mainly about dmg
both is a single instance of application; siphon souls keeps ticking
SS leeches too
just a guess that those might be factors playing in, might ofc not be at all related :man_shrugging: and devs just had different balance or famously “thematic” stuff in mind :sweat_smile:

then why are you using a caster skill on gunner builds? :man_shrugging:
also personally don’t see why SS is an issue: when Aura of Censure has shorter range and is also used on gunners ofc

and in closing re gunners:

:woozy_face:

*this is not me arguing against increased range, just trying to respond to specific questions there

I guess half the screen at lv 20 (8,3m fyi) with decent dmg and rly good heal isn’t enough :sweat_smile:

Seriously tho, SS is fine af as is rn.

1 Like

You are right about war cry, that was a wrong exemple on my part, but judgment is very similar to SS, they are both single tick skills the DoT portion of SS comes from blood boil just like judgment has heart of wrath
Has for the leech sure it’s nice against packs of trash mobs but how useful is it against bosses?
I would rather have less leech and more area so it hits more mobs resulting in more leech, and the argument that it’s a “caster skill why are you using it on a gunner” is total BS, you and i both know that’s not how the game works the game heavily relies on applying debuffs to enemies

Very useful

they are not
one is a direct dmg aoe with a true dot, the ticks are secondary and it’s in essence a single attack/direct instance aoe nova
Siphon souls is a an aoe pseudo dot (+debuff) - with true dot secondary again, unrelated to its main ticks and main purpose; pseudo dot healing (applied screen wide)
should be highly obvious they are not at all similar both in function nor in purpose

it’s really not, less so in this case

and this is not really one of those for gunners “usually”

Yes, you are correct i completly forgot the skill has a duration, so i assumed the tick came from blood boil as there is no vit decay in base SS

As for the “gunner skill” argument i can’t agree with i think that makes it needlessly restrictive

it’s not that you can’t use it, the game lets you
it’s more like "if it’s technically optimal"for your build, the leech is often not beneficial/significant for gunners, making that(main node) investment potentially not that useful, the useful thing can be the OA shred, but is an additional investment, and you’re then spending cast time on a archetype that probably doesnt’ have much casting speed, slowing you down/aka only take the debuffs that’s worth casting.
And specially when we then compare it to either necessary casts; they are just better to cast for you/natively fits smoother(WoP/Curse of Frailty),
or similar AoE skills that are a requirement(Aura of Censure), the game again shows us; gunners doesn’t get to stand a screen away if they want all the goodies (devs don’t want too much range benefit #GrimDawnIsAFacetankSimulator meme earlier)

1 Like

Syphon souls and war cry do very different things so they should have different ranges. My understanding that more skill points into the skills the larger their radius. Considering sypon soulls is a aoe and life leech at the same time, it should take skill points to increase its radius. It does substianl damage and can add healing in a massive way. If there are cool down options then it is even more deadly.