Skillz

Let’s run with this generalization (it could be accurate I guess)…I think that’s 1-2 active skills per-character build…not ever. Having that choice maybe you still only end up with a couple active skills but maybe you make another character and mix that mastery with a different one? Those additional choices you will probably end up with different active skills…or other ways to build the exact same mastery choices to suit a different play style with the same class.

And yes, having 25 other skills definitely will make the game more fun.

More skills = more builds = more options = more depth = more variety = moar = MOAR! = MOAR!!! =

25 skilla, that includes any passives, buffs, synergies and summons. its really not alot.

As my Haruspex spear wielder, I used way more than two active skills. Same with the Warden. Hunting and Defense are my favorite mastery choices. Take Down, Study Prey, Batter, Shield Charge are all rotated regularly in a spear/shield wielders rotation. Many other skills such as Call of the Hunt, Herbal Remedy, and Colossus Form are active skills as well, although you can’t or don’t need to use them constantly due to cooldowns/buff lengths.

One could argue that spell casters can afford to spam one or two spells most of the time, but that’s why I tend to avoid straight up spell casters in ARPGs. The Sorceress was a one trick pony as well you may recall.

My point is, Medierra has proven that they have the ability to design some really fun classes. Let’s not hollering for a change until we see what they are bringing to the table. If each mastery has filler skills like Circle of Power, then we can discuss further. :wink:

As Renevent pointed out that may be per build, but not in general. I had builds where I had only two active skills (LMB and RMB) and I had builds which used 3 or 4 skills (not on any mouse button) constantly.

The former were melee builds, the latter mages.

Personally I liked my Oracle build best of all the ones I did, it was certainly not the strongest char, but it had the right amount of active skills, meleers always ended up being a bit boring with just the LMB and RMB skills :wink:

well in the original zelda you had links smashing board (sheild) which you could use to kick the crap out of enemies with, why not this game but dual wielding them :smiley:

more skills = more variety; perhaps even open out new opportunities and tactics. keep up the good work:D!

i dream about a skill system where it is the attributes that will control what to do, and then all skills are open, you dont need to have a sertan skill to unlock another at higher lvl.

simpel, if you want to go summoner, then increase the attributes to get max benefits and so on if you want to go 100% melee, might be good to go dex str con.
that way you can be stron in one thing and semi strong if you want to use spells and melee at the same time, or make a mage tank.

hope you see my point and dont flame me:rolleyes:

ps. i also like when difrence skills benefits eatch other, so there is a purpus to increase a low lvl skill becorse it will give a bonus to a higher lvl skill and visa versa, a low lvl summon skill will benefit from a higher summon lvl skill.

Code187, to some extent we already have this in TQ. GD will go a step further:

Read the full post - it’s very enlightening.

THX m8 did not see that:D

Dual shields, yes plz.

This was a bug in a release of a Roguelike I used to play, everyone loved it.

Using dual shields does indeed sound quite good, but is probably difficult to balance. You’d have to look that you don’t get some kind of invulnerable and that the damage you cause is still enough to get through the game. the damage in general should of course be lower than the one handling with weapon and shield or dual weapon.

Personally, I did prefer passive skills in TQ. They don’t need to be activated and make your character as such stronger. Having too many skills which are needed to activate does complicate the controls. I did like most having three skills which needed to be activated and the others as passive skills (pet skills and auras etc. not included because they are mostly just used when starting the game or when the pet dies).

If we get dual shields, should we be able to put boots on our hands too, instead of gloves? Ofcourse, you’d need a seperate “walk-on-all-fours” animation.

In this case I vote for quadruple wield - a weapon each in your hands and on your feet … while you are sitting on your fat ass riding a steam powered vehicle. :stuck_out_tongue:

What i found dissapointing in TQ was that there were no 2 handed weapons:mad: But there are 2 handed weapons in GD isn’t there?

Hah, sorry… :o

Not yet but THERE WILL BE! We just can’t make all the art and animations for an additional weapon set right now but we’re planning on adding 2h melee weapons in the future, so there is yet hope. :wink:

oh yay i’m so happy now i’ll be looking forward to it:D

Medierra, will melee reach be a factor?

For example, will you be able to swing long hafted weapons at (unarmed, or short armed?) mobs which aren’t within striking range of you, and gain an advantage that isn’t possible with faster weapons like daggers?

Hmm, that actually sounds like an awesome idea! Then there’d be more than just attack speed as a difference

No, melee reach won’t be a factor. I think that level of interaction is a little too precise for our camera distance and control system. That is something I think would work better in a game where you had direct control of your characters movement via WASD or a thumbstick. Even so, unless the game has finely tuned combat like a fighting game, which takes a lot of focused effort to get right, I don’t think it would really have any noticeable, enjoyable impact on gameplay. I think this is one of those ideas that is good in theory but can only be fully realized in the right circumstances.

Thanks medierra, good to hear that you guys know where to draw the line.

I just wish my girlfriend knew when to stop cooking a steak (oh god…I’m dying…)