Skyrim (Buy Legendary or Special Edition?)

Yes, it’s been 6-7 years and I’ve never done a complete playthrough of Skyrim. Skyrim was a game I picked up for the Xbox soon after it came out and then never really touched games of any kind until I picked up Dragon’s Dogma about 2 years ago (totally worth it). I had my old Oblivion disc from ages ago and tried playing Nehrim with it - it was alright, but it kept crashing on my laptop and sucked the fun out of it (I play on a Windows 10 Dell Laptop). Large, open-world games with lots of exploring and dungeons with boss battles and loads of loot are my absolute favorite type of game to play, so I’d love to get into Skyrim again, but wanted to get people’s input on what I should go for:

Apparently SKSE is beginning to work with Special Edition, so that’s a plus there.
On Special Edition’s side, I hear it’s much more stable so crashes wouldn’t happen as frequently. I also hear that perks like Ordinator (I specifically play Conjurers + pet summoners in any game I can get) are fully used for Special Edition. Also, the Steam page only has Special Edition and not the Legendary edition.

On Legendary’s side, Deadly Dragons and the Mage College mods (I hear they completely overhauled the university in the second one) is only for Legendary as of now, not to mention Enderal, which is built by the same people as Nehrim for Oblivion. I fear crashes would be an issue, but I know they have a lot of mods that help for that. Also, where would I even be able to buy Legendary in the first place?

Keeping in mind I’m solely a magic user / conjurer in RPGs, I’d like to hear what mods people go for. I’m not a survival needs person, but I do hear good things about a variety of combat mods (EnaiSaison or something like that makes really good ones). I know modding Skyrim is a big ordeal in itself, so I want to hear how people go through the trouble to get Skyrim to work.

Neither, Skyrim is crap

the original skyrim with mods still a better option, skyrim SE was nothing but a blatant money grab. but yeah, skyrim isn’t that great, crap story, crap things to do, and still buggy regardless of version. especailly the SE edition which came with more bugs the original, and bugs from the original were never fixed.

Not a good game in my book, morrowind was far better, it had flaws, but better.

If you know what mods to get and how to install them you won’t crash and get better results than SE . SE is just comfy I guess

I played an easy 10,000+ hours on both Morrowind and Oblivion (mostly testing helping test FCOM) but Steam has a total of 22 hours logged on Skyrim for me. The entire game felt dumbed down to appease the console crowd and by the time any decent mods were made, I didn’t care anymore.

With that being said, if you know how to mod the game and your computer can handle it (standard Dell laptops aren’t that powerful), the original release will be far better.

I heard what people said about the vanilla game, which was why I was going straight into mods. Sounds like Legendary version is still the way to go, and I learned that you can just buy the game on Amazon when I thought the game disappeared into the ether. Derp.

My biggest concern is whether the laptop can handle it, Nehrim was fun but the low graphics and the crashing just became too much. Enderal should be much better in both those regards and my laptop appears to beat their requirements, so I’ll give that a shot.

EDIT: Was looking at the wrong settings. It looks like my laptop won’t be able to run Enderal or mod-intensive Skyrim well at all. That’s a shame.

I was hoping people that had like 400 mods in one set-up would tell me what combat mods they liked or what quest mods they liked, because I’m mainly in it for the conjuring spells, the caves and the dragons. Anything beyond that is a bonus for me, really.

Enderal is wonderful indeed and runs smoothly for me. Plus the dlc is due very “soon” (next update) which brings quite a lot of changes and an alternative “secret” ending. :smiley:

You’ll have to mod magic if you want to have a correct experience.
Skyrim devs never gave any love to magic and you can’t play a pure mage as you’re progression will soon be stopped: spell damages don’t scale contrary to weapon damages. Hence, past a point in the game, you become less and less efficient as ennemies continue to become strongers while you stagnate.
Moreover, mastering magic mostly consist in reducing the cost of magic. Which you can do more efficiently simply by being a crafter (you can craft equipment to reduce to 0 the mana for a spell).

I don’t know if there are mods for the caves, to add more variations. Else, they feel like they’re quite all the sames.
And their quantity doesn’t help.

I think spells and caves are what made me stop the game.
Mostly spells because I wanted to do a pure mage, I would mid level and couldn’t progress anymore remaining a mage, while ennemies could still grow to double their power.
But caves contributed by making the game boring.

I am simple. I liked Skyrim:rolleyes:

Made many builds, hundreds of hours, but never finished main campaign oddly enough. Was always about finishing the concept of the build

I was really enjoying it and had 150 hours in it, was still enjoying exploring, then I maxed enchanting and realised that no matter how many new areas I explore there was nothing better in the world to find than what I could craft myself. No new toys to find, no new upgrades and no more interest in bothering to play.

Yes, that was the problem in skyrim. No loot aside for a few uniques.

But i liked making a concept build so much that I would deliberately gimp mysielf on Legendary difficulty even.

For example 1h Sneak Nightingale with Nightingale sword only. No illusion invisibility magic used… Smithing+Alchemy only, no enchant. stuff like that

Damn… respect to you being able to do that, I couldn’t restrict myself that much, so I downloaded Enderal instead :smiley:

I hated leveling enchant the most. There are ways to do it fast. But alchemy can be brought to 65 within an hour or so and it’s very strong

That was the plan, I was going to find a perk mod like Ordinator that revamps spells, and then combine it with other mods to increase difficulty and such. Not to mention getting to try out Enderal (I’ll have to be on the lookout for the DLC).

Sadly, I searched around a little bit more and it turns out that my laptop is woefully inadequate to play Skyrim reasonably, much less its mods. That means back to Nehrim and trying to cause less crashes and what not. Thank goodness for older games being really good that I can play on this machine without any hassle.

“But TPOM, you should have looked that up before making a thread about it!”

Yeah, yeah, I get it, I messed it up. Glad to hear great things about the conversion mod, though.

Eventually all builds end up as sneak archer/dagger towards the end

I’m loving terraria these days, it has so much depth now

Alternatively, you could purchase Skyrim for up to a ninth time when you get it in VR!

Last I checked, Legendary Edition still had an edge on Special Edition in terms of mod availability. Of course, that was months ago, so this info might not be current.

If you’re a caster lover, I’d recommend using LE, since extra hotkey support for SE is still limited. On that one, be sure to check out Apocalypse Spells and Ordinator on Skyrim nexus. Vanilla Skyrim is not kind to casters, but a certain Diablo modder really worked a marvel to make them fun and powerful.

Wow that actually looks amazing. Stuff like this is all the argument one needs FOR modding. It’s tempting me to give it a go this weekend.

Definitely worth giving it a go, get beyond the initial small starting area and into the game.

Actually don’t get too far into it as they have the DLC finished and are just working on the translations and then it’s ready for release… so hopefully in the next month or 2 at the most.

And yes it’s bloody amazing and seriously well worth the time playing. I’ve had a few moments of “Damn that wasn’t what I was expecting in the slightest and I didn’t know the engine could do that”… :smiley:

Not to mention it is “stunningly gorgeous”

Last year I played LE cause mods. SE was undeveloped back then, dunno how it’s now. Much of the modding scene shifted to SE because SE had fewer limitations IIRC so potentially better mods.

I had a quite opposite experience. Out of 3 enchanting is the easiest :rolleyes:

This.