So anyway... how does Cadence work?

Timeless classic of GD. Since Cadence is getting buffed next patch i tried to refresh my memory on the mechanics of melee WPS granting (or not) bonus charges for Cadence. Most latest posts i’ve found on the topic address to the same “findings” of how DW melee Cadence hit doesn’t care for your WPS pool and defaults into regular DW animation: 25% for each hand and 50% for a generic double swing resulting into 50% chance to get an extra charge and therefore get your Cadence hit every 2.5 attacks (40%). Which is absolutely not what’s happening in reality.

In short,
With 100% wps pool Cadence has hit 88 times from 206 attacks (58 series have a bonus charge, 30 - dont), so 42.7%
With 0% wps pool Cadence has hit 48 times from 130 attacks (14 series have a bonus charge, 34 - dont), so 36.9%

I had another 2 goes with 0% WPS to eliminate observation error and got 51 from 139 = 36.7%, and 47 from 131 = 35.9%

These numbers might not be very representative but you can see how much often 100% WPS pool grants an extra charge compared to 0% WPS pool.

Another misconception spread of forums concerns the animation. In the first video you can see that if you hit the target with a lag, your Cadence hits in fact default to standard DW animation. But if you hold lmb suddenly Cadence starts being proced by WPS animations (but it doesn’t have any observable effect on the charge rate).

My question for the rare enlightened: what’s the actual mechanic? Very hard to plan a Cadence build without knowing how the skill works.

7 Likes

3 Likes

looks like some wps straight up guarantee a fast charge, while some also guarantee the cadence icon “bug”/where cadence icond doesn’t go away despite being discharged (and still needing an extra hit between discharges), Zolhan, Whilring, Shears,
seems like Execution almost also guarantees a fast charge but has these intermitten instances of not,
and AQC appears to be similar inbetween(but maybe that’s because animation lenght/hard to distinguish?)

idono animation(+speed?) jank when then mixing wps means game can’t maintain guaranteed fast charge on dw wps?

aqc and zolhan slowed to minimum speed, looks like 20 speed is the floor?

speed doesn’t seem to be a factor at all, just holding down mouse button+wps is
first cadence hit seem to be the usual 3 hit combo, subsequent is then fast charged to every 2nd hit /every 7th hit on ACQ (aqc does 3hits per wps)

additional finding, looks like cadence slotted to Keyboard is quite slower than LMB :sweat_smile:
hit YT upload limit for today tho
*unsure if that means the above 20% speed AQC is invalid since using keyboard in that

keboard shears doing 3 hit cadence

mouse, doing 2hit cadence

*will upload on YT tomorrow when limit is restored

Yeah it’s very weird situation where lower actual attack speed can grant more Cadence hits per second.

We need a solution to avoid it at any circumstances. Is there a way to delete melee cooldown altogether but impose a limit to charges from one attack in a way that AQC and relic WPS won’t give you so many Cadence procs? Just so you could gety your honest 50% Cadence proc rate with invested and capped WPS pool and not worry about these absurd interactions?

The internal cooldown has worked well enough for 8 years. If you’re going to start wishing for reworks of every minor quirk of the original code, there won’t be any time to actually make anything new or interesting.

The skill goes bonk, things die. If things die too fast, make bonk smaller, if not, make it bigger. There is no need to overthink the ungabunga.

13 Likes

Warder Bonk Bonk
711522791618510849-1

2 Likes