So... How Damage conversion works and influences skills and devotions, their bonuses and effects?

Hello everyone! :wave:
You know how it’s said, “If life gives you lemons - make a lemonade”
And recently Grim Dawn gave me not one, but two pairs of lemons, and these lemons are called Mythical Nex and Ortus. And I want to make a character around them. I’m really excited about it, and i find this “Light and Darkness, Fire and Ice” aesthetic really compelling and fascinating. But to make it work I have to figure few things out first and ask some questions, mostly about damage conversions.

1. N&O have PoisonAcid=>Fire/Cold conversion on Flame Touched. Does it mean that ALL poison/acid damage will be converted to Fire/Cold while Flame Touched is active? Is this conversion Global?
  2. Do Global conversions affect steroid-skills like Lethal Assault and convert their bonuses? Will +% Posion/Acid Damage be converted to +% Fire/Cold Damage or it will only affect flat Acid damage?
  3. Do skill-specific conversions affect passive bonuses from skills like Nidalla’s Justifiable Ends? Will this +35/200% Poison Damage converted to +% Fire/Cold Damage from N&O’s Shadow Strike modifiers?
  4. Do Global conversions affect devotion’s Resist Reductions? For Example: will Rumor reduce Fire/Cold Resistances if I have global conversion from Acid to Fire/Cold? (Also: I’m pretty sure that global conversions don’t affect devotion’s passive Damage bonuses, but maybe I’m wrong? You tell me)
  5. Do Global conversions affect Resist Reduction from skills like Veil of Shadow and Night’s Chill? Will this conversion provided by Flame Touched alterate Acid Resist Reduction from Night’s Chill?

Also I have a question about Brimstone, Fire Strike’s passive bonus. Does it have any effect in Melee? I know for sure that Splinters won’t appear in Melee, but maybe it has some other AoE Effect or Buff aside from flat Fire/Chaos damage? Maybe this Fire/Chaos damage applies on enemies hit with Explosive Strike?

1. yes, yes

2. only flat
    it’s not the end of the world because the flat is actually way more important for your dps

in this case yes but this is not a general rule, there are exceptions Secondary Skill Modifiers
btw everything on this skill affects Shadow Strike only

This works differently than 2 (because it’s a skill specific not a global bonus) and actually be always converted or rather this % Poison damage will always be beneficial for the flat 150 / 780 Poison damage on the skill. Even if it’s no longer Poison after conversion. This is the only case in the game of sth like that and it’s counter-intuitive in regard to the rest of the mechanics.

However it’s not actually very important whether it does because it’s additive with % damage (% frostburn or % burn) so it’s not very meaningful when you have i.e. 2k or 2.5k of these. It’s more important when leveling.

no

they do convert i.e. flat Acid damage on a devotion proc or passive flat damage, i.e. 12 Acid damage or 50 Poison / s but they don’t convert % Acid damage or % Poison damage

no

no

yes it should boost damage to the target(s) you’re hitting with it , passive damage buff

fun fact - splinter’s damage is not converted by conversions from modifiers only global
but the damage I talked in the previous sentence is converted by conversions from skill modifiers

1 Like

Thank you for your detailed response and your time!