Some indie game companies attack key resellers

" Small video games studios are asking the public to stop buying their titles from “unauthorised” markets, saying the sales cost them more than they earn.

Several have said it would even be better if consumers pirated their games rather than purchased discounted unlock codes from the “key resellers”.

One label is running a petition calling on the biggest such market - G2A - to halt sales of indie games outright.

But G2A has defended its business model.

It said the indies benefited from its policy of sharing a cut of sales made by third parties.

“Hundreds of developers earn money from selling their keys through marketplaces such as G2A,” head of communications Maciej Kuc told BBC News.

“We don’t plan on taking away that possibility anytime soon, as it would be hurtful not only to our customers but also to the many developers who use our platform to their benefit.”

He added that G2A already took measures to tackle illegal sales.

And he said developers were partly responsible for some of the scams on its site because of the “thousands of free keys” they had created for giveaways.

The campaign’s organiser, however, has dismissed this defence.

“They are harming our industry and the value of our games,” Mike Rose, from the Manchester-based publisher No More Robots, told BBC News."

this video covers some of the follow up to the current g2a controversy

Registering on this forum to argue with a moderator seems like a poor use of anybody’s time.

That said, that petition is not going to be helping anybody either.

I’ve removed the nonsense and reopened the thread if people wish to continue to discuss what shady garbage G2A is.

1 Like

People actually needed years to realize that they’re scammers. I’ve never supported this website, I just didn’t like the fact that I could buy a game for 20$ on Steam and 15$ on G2A, so I’ve never actually bothered to buy anything from them. Few years later, a streamer was offered partnership with G2A, he asked some questions, and he also asked how do they get their keys, so they answered that they basically scam developers (don’t remember how they exactly did that), and as I knew this streamer doesn’t talk when he doesn’t have information about something, so I’ve believed him straight away. Now, after 2+ years it came out to public.

The funniest thing was, that I’ve been saying that they’re scammers since then, but everyone said “no, they are not scammers, they work hard to get their keys and there’s no scam involved”. And I still think that we’ll see people defending G2A for some idiotic reason. :stuck_out_tongue:

Only games I get via reseller’s are those from publishers who insist on charging NZ$100+ for a game. And that’s only if I can’t be bothered waiting for the eventual price drop or massive sale, or in the case of Destiny 2 - getting the base game free. Because I’ve got better uses for that much money than enriching Activision, EA’s, Bethesda’s or 2K’s etc shareholders et al.

But I’d prefer it if the key’s I’m buying aren’t brought with fucking stolen credit cards and that those stores didn’t engage in obviously fraudulent fucking bullshit like G2A’s been doing. Not that G2Play is much better mind you, though I’ve only gotten 2 AAA publisher games through them and Offworld Trading Company (can’t recall why, stupid brain) due to the AAA one’s being stupidly overpriced at the time.