Stack cold damage conversion with elemental damage conversion

Hello,

I build a shadow strike Infiltrator with 2 noctirns with under 100% cold damage converted to piercing damage (47% and 43 %). I add Bladetwister signet with 23% elemental damage converted to piercing damage. I guessed that the 2 conversion types stacks and i get 100% cold damage conversion. But when i see the tooltip of Shadow Strike, i see cold damage as damage component of these skill.

Why this can happend? And how works elemental conversion in combination with a single element conversion?

Thanks for your help.

As far as i know elemental conversion comes first. So you get the 23% elemental converted to pierce, then the 90% cold to pierce converts 90% of what remained from the elemental to pierce and that’s why there’s still cold left.

So yes, elemental to pierce and cold to pierce don’t stack.

In this case Cold conversion comes first. It depends on which slot conversions are whether a single elemental or Elemental conversion acts first.

However in this case, since both Elemental and Cold are to the same damage type, the order actually doesn’t matter - you’ll get the same value regardless of the order because

Pierce = Cold * C1 + Cold * (1 - C1) * C2 = Cold * (C1 + (1 - C1) * C2 ) = Cold * (C1 + C2 - C1 * C2) ← this is the amount of Pierce damage we get from conversion and it’s the same if you swap C1 and C2 with each other which means the order doesn’t matter. But if the conversions were to different damage types it would matter of course.

1 Like

I always forget about, well, that complete mess of conversion order.

And yeah, the order of conversions doesn’t matter here since they are both to the same damage type, the end result is the same.

2 Likes

Excuse me, where can I corroborate this information?

1 Like

This has been known for quite a while and I tested it in game personally 2 or 3 times on different items.

You can test it in game, for example by using Avenger’s Crusher with 100% Lightning to Physical and Elemental → Pierce rings or something like that. You’ll see all damage is Physical.

Similarly with some different items Elemental conversion can work first.

the pic in question was provided directly by Zantai on the forum in a reply to elemental dmg conversion questions
if you search is comments you might find it

2 Likes

the pic in question was provided directly by me.

1 Like

pardon my poor choice of words :sweat_smile: no offence/non-credit meant :pray:
the information listed/showcased in the picture was provided/confirmed direct by Z