Stacking DoT on Pseudo-pets

From Mad_Lee’s bleeding build thread:

I’m wondering if this interaction still holds true for other pseudo pets that have a secondary skill or 2 different attack forms…

If I added burn damage to Guardians of Empyrion, would it apply to Celestial presence’s aura too ?
Would it stack x3 for 3 guardians (or 6 times for guardians attack and their aura) ?
Would adding electrocute damage affect both Wind devil and maelstrom ?
Does the DoT damage from 2 different wind devil’s maelstrom attacks stack ? what about their aura ?
What about “The big one” ? does adding burn damage to mortar also apply to it ?
Why would blade spirit’s whirling blade aura stack but not wind devil or Thermite mine’s aura ?

1 Like

Maelstrom stacks but auras do not.
Same for Guardian of Empyrion’s basic attacks stacking but not their auras.
Thermites do not stack.
Big one should stack.
As for why it works for Blade Spirit aura is I’d actually question if it does.

Which skill mods apply to which pseudopet skills is manually set up in the editor, I only have vague idea about these fine settings tbh.

2 Likes

They key thing to understand is that debuffs between player pets do not stack in any way but attacks do.

Out of your list, Celestial Presence, Howling Winds and the damage added to it by Raging Tempest (Wind Devil) and Thermite Mine’s Flare are counted as debuffs and can be checked through grimtools pet database (except for Celestial Presence and skills that aren’t a default/starter skill for their pets):

Checking in the same way, for whatever reason, Whirling Blades is marked as a damage aura/attack in the similar way as attacks like Guardian of Empyrion’s Cleave or Storm Totem’s chain lightning are instead of a debuff:

As for empty attacks like the one for Wind Devil up above, I’ve never been given confirmation of this but my assumption is this empty attack is used for proccing bound devotions, hence why player pets don’t proc devotion skills on the training dummy by default, as Pet Attack orders them to use this empty attack on the dummy, standard enemies their AI applies it as normal.

2 Likes

I think I got an idea.
It’s not an aura, it’s a buff akin to Phoenix proc that is cast on spawn and has infinite duration.

4 Likes

That explains it :slight_smile:

Now, is added damage applied to all of the pet’s attacks ?
If I add electrocute damage to wind devil… it should apply to the base aura (and not stack) but will it also apply to maelstrom ? (and stack?)

Or better yet: if I use this: Hexflame - Items - Grim Dawn Item Database (grimtools.com)

To add burn damage to mortar trap, will it apply to the base mortar hit, stack for how many mortars you have, and also apply to “the big one” (and stack as well) ?

If I have 3 mortars out, will this bonus burn damage apply 1x, 3x, 4x, 6x ?

Thats what I had assumed too but turns out it isn’t for whatever reason, also explains why - % RR to Blade Spirit isn’t a thing. You can think about that as similar to reckless tempest or maelstrom, just Maelstrom has pretty animation.

IIRC it was in some changelog that skill mods for mortar now apply to big one as well, by whatever means.

1 Like

That’s interesting… potentially if damage is added directly to the skill, it could apply to that empty attack :slight_smile:

I realised right after that I misunderstood your post and was too late in deleting mine it is seems :sweat_smile:. I’m still perplexed by it though, I can’t think of any other cases on player skills that deal damage every second in an AoE but aren’t mechanically debuffs. Heart of Wrath maybe?

Edit: Storm Box comes to mind actually. I’ve been told that stacking it on multiple enemies beside each other will damage each enemy for each Box individually.

Yes and should do yes.

Would need testing, but based on some other tests I’ve ran for different player pets, it should do…?

1 Like

How about Sigil of Consumption and Grasping Vines?
BWC too.

Hm, those are instances of skills that don’t move around though. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen a setting in various dbrs to allow for skills to follow the player (like for Guardian’s Gaze) so I suppose a similar kind of skill could be made for the player or for player-pets then. Guess that would work.

1 Like

Wendigo totem is also an “attack” not a debuff :slight_smile:

It doesn’t really matter.
Why say Themite Mine is mechanically a pet but Sigil on the ground is not? Or that bush GV spawns? Doesn’t make any sense, isn’t it?

There’s actually no way to tell the difference between a debuff and an offensive skill that does damage once a second at glance. The only way is to check whether damage stacks on a dummy.

Edit: the sure way to tell though is whether the game has RR mods for it. If it doesn’t then it’s not a debuff and vice versa.

2 Likes