Steam Deck's Steam Cloud half-synced (half of all characters with no shared stash and no blueprints) - v.1.1.9.8

Grim Dawn is installed on the old laptop where everything works great. Tried to transition to the Steam Deck. Very satisfied with overall performance and controls on the Steam Deck. Would like to continue playing on it. But the cloud sync bug halts seamless transition.

Tried to reinstall and resync multiple times, not using mods, but still issues are consistent:

1. Only half of my characters are synced. With no apparent logic - only some characters are synced. The oldest and the newest characters are synced, DLC based and non-DLC based, Normal/Veteran/Elite/Ultimate difficulty characters mix. Synced characters have their builds, items, personal stash and open map/locations intact.
  2. All the synced characters quest was reset. Wherever location character is loaded, main quest starts from the beginning (secondary quests are also gone).
  3. The shared stash is gone (all the items in the “shared” space are gone, pages are not opened/not bought yet)
  4. All the blueprints are reset too. there are no known blueprints at all. (personally the biggest issue for me - new character for the steam deck is logical, but complete blank slate with no progress is a little bit too hardcore for me).

I’m not completely sure it is a sync problem. Different reinstalls with different resyncs have the same result (same list of characters).

We have no control over Steam Cloud besides linking the game to it.

I would toggle cloud saves off/on on the laptop and see what happens to the character list. I wonder if your laptop is actually using local saves and only some of your data is actually in the cloud for the Steam Deck to grab.

did it, but dont understand the meaning of the results:

on the laptop:

• Turned off cloud sync in steam - nothing happened (everything intact)
  • turned off “Cloud Saving” in Grim Dawn options menu - Restarted the game - everything is gone. all the characters disappeared. Blank game.
  • turned on “Cloud Saving” in Grim Dawn options menu - Restarted the game - everything is back.
  • turned on cloud sync in steam - resynced files.

repeat everything on the Steam Deck:

• Turned off cloud sync in steam - nothing happened (everything intact)
  • turned off “Cloud Saving” in Grim Dawn options menu - Restarted the game - everything is gone.
  • turned on “Cloud Saving” in Grim Dawn options menu - Restarted the game - everything is back.
  • turned on cloud sync in steam - resynced files.

Some form of resync happened - new character created on the Steam Deck was synced back to the laptop. But everything else stayed the same. Some characters synced, some not.

P.S. got worried at the moment when everything disappeared from the laptop. Looks like it never saved locally? what is the best way to backup my progress on the laptop?

for steam cloud to work it needs to be on both ingame and in steam library
if you have steam cloud off ingame then steam will not sync to cloud regardless of your steam library settings, that’s because the “physical” save location switches on your computer with cloud on/off ingame
*i’ve no idea which location it uses on steam deck/proton

when you’re on your PC, with cloud on ingame and ingame, you can make steam upload to your cloud by “activating” the files by engaging with them ingame, ie load all your characters and mess around with you stash etc
^that should force steam to sync/upload to cloud upon exit
if steam don’t want to manually download clouds on deck, even if you ask it to verify game files, you can try to either reinstall and see if it pulls the save during the reinstall, or you can manually pull your cloud saves

and then manually transfer them to whatever location steamdeck is saving to
^there might be some canoodling there that has to be done if steamdeck operates the same way Grim Dawn does with cloud saves on ingame for PC
in which case you need to follow the reverse steps here (how to move saves back to cloud) at the 2nd half in this post How to - Move your saves from Steam cloud to Grim Dawn's default location. - #208 by powbam , by putting your newly manually retrieved saves in the “local” save location on steam deck, and then have the game pull them to the “cloud” save location via the ingame transfer function
*this is ofc only assuming you don’t get steam deck to proper sync/pull cloud saves on its own via some of the earlier steps mentioned

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.