Still Fps Optimitation In Grim Dawn Is Bad

I think there is little you can do with its aging TQ engine. Having lighting low and keeping vsync off helps a little.

Hello, man. You are wellcome to this thread. :slight_smile:

I might be wrong of course, but I believe it’s more like how much time and resources they are willing/able to spend on it.

Now, after the game release, with free patches, I didn’t expect anything of course.

For an expansion/dlc that is going to cost a reasonable price, again I don’t expect anything, but I would like to see some improvement for what concerns the frame rate.

Grim dawn is by far my favorite Arpg of the last years, but it’s also the one that is running the worst for me on my machine.

I would be willing to accept even a measly 30fps, but stable at any given time, even the most chaotic / polygon heavy parts of the game world.
Unfortunately this is not the case, and I often get spikes from 60fps to under 30, even under 20 sometimes, which is unplayable in my book.

Hopefully a Dev will clarify if we can look forward to any even small improvement or not.

There are rumours stating that GD may be “ported” to D3D10 when reaching XBOX. I don’t know whether this is truth or myth.

If the engine will support D3D10 we will probably get some gains for it.

Devs better use Vulkan for GD but i’m pretty sure it will not happen :(. DX11 (not DX10 from year 2006!) implementation will not give us anything in terms of FPS increase.

What I do not understand is why the game stutters like mad with vsync ON. In theory, it should have to draw less frames per second, right?

On the other hand, the game is a stutter fest no matter what settings you try, but it’s specially bad with vsync ON (I mean built-in ingame vsync - using AMD videocard now).

Totally agree. All we know how much praise Crate Entertainment has received for its excellent work. But, it is not reason for them to relax himselfs in this part, letting this issue out of fix.

Customers really deserve some words or announcement, from the developers, about this…

They need to launch a Kickstarter campaign to implement Vulkan :slight_smile: Honestly i’ll support them if they will do it.

Yes, a Vulkan version would be real nice. I think it’s not possible to accomplish right now though. That would mean recoding a whole new engine from start. Not an easy task.

But what about using any third-party already made engine (like Unity)? Could it be possible? I think not. If possible, the devs probably had taken that route already.

So… this thread will remain in the “wishful thinking” area for now.

What i am wondering is about; why have we, the customers, making those suppositions, and questions, when should be the developer team, who clarify those stuff to us??..

Maybe they have already clarified and we are not aware of that info existence. :stuck_out_tongue:

I understand language barriers may be a problem but have you searched/looked around? Crate has talked about improving performance before.

Winner, winner chicken dinner. I was waiting to see where this thread went before saying anything but eh… here ya’ll go.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?p=488766#post488766

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?p=488790#post488790

You can mostly thank the XboxOne port. :wink:

It requires DX11 and we’ll also need to do a bunch of work to get decent frame rates on there. We won’t be changing anything else about the PC version that will affect gameplay but it will get these engine improvements and some additional controller functionality.

We also are planning another “spin-off” game that is based on GD but a somewhat different kind of game.

The totally new non-GD project we’re working on uses Unity.[/QUOTE]

No known ETA but I would say it is not out of the realm of possibility that it would be sometime this year. As far as I’m aware this is still being worked on and since they have not responded here to allay your “fears” I can only assume that they are still working on it and choose not to speak on the subject at this point.

Nice info. Thanks.

I never had issues until 1010 or 1011 - but I did skip a few updates during my time off playing other games.

It tends to get worse the more the map has been discovered if I go back to Devils Crossing, but of course, anything above a minor amount of stuff on screen and the engine chokes itself to death no matter where I am.

Certainly Veteran doesn’t help matters, but then why is it in there if the engine cannot handle it?

I have also has total freezes and crashes. Z says they have done some optimization - and sorry, but that sounds like a lie given the game has gotten worse over time.

• One of few people who can act superior online due to ACTUALLY having a super high end rig, even thought he doesn’t bother to act that way (this run-on sentence notwithstanding), because such things are for people who secretly feel lesser in some way than others.

No it’s not, it’s a bunch of nonsense from someone who knows most who read don’t know the first thing about programming.

There are other games out there, ARPG’s included, that don’t have these cpu-blamed issues.

Also, if it really were a CPU issue, then those of use with really high end, fast CPU’s would have less problems. I am such a person, and I have these problems. In fact, it almost doesn’t seem to matter what CPU you are using.

hmm…

ah. mhmm.

I have 3 videos right here of the engine not choking to death with minor+++ on screen, on Veteran, with a decidedly less than “super high end rig”.

You could list your specs and settings I suppose and maybe describe your symptoms more exactly? It’s likely something solvable.

So very interesting, that, considering the bits that he is referring to about as being “nice info” is the fact that I quoted medierra’s comments, founder/head of Crate, who also is probably aware that most the serious people who frequent the forums DO have some small idea of the words which he typed. Maybe brush up on your english comprehension BEFORE you start slinging whoopy around.

Also, everyone except you seems to know that it is, in fact, a CPU issue related to the aged engine, by and large. It’s fairly easy to see it and prove it to. I could link you to a guide on how to use the bare minimum tool available to verify, Task Manager?

Then again, when you’re a binary god I suppose you just assume that everyone else assumes you must know what’s what, kinda like in the same way we just assume that you maybe kinda sorta have a super meg@t0nic warh3ad for a computer. Must be nice, to be you. I wonder how many times a day you check the mirror.

I just hope DX9 remains supported (or Vulcan) so I can keep playing on Linux. Though I understand why that may not be so.

It will be DX11 not Vulkan. I guess DX9 will be still supported though. :wink:

Yeah… there are a lot of games that use both. So Gumshoe might be alright there yet. Guess we’ll see.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk