Stormserpent

So given were still throwing out some wish list stuff… I’m running a Warder in the season 2 group, I suddenly had this wild hair about a lightning nightblade.

With the conduit it’s got a meme Pierce to lightning on shadow strike.

And there really isn’t a lot of other piece to lightning except…

https://www.grimtools.com/db/itemsets/156

Any chance this three piece set could get a boost to legendary status? I think a shadow strike lightning trickster would be hella fun.

4 Likes

I doubt it will but I’m gonna list what the set actually needs just for fun :stuck_out_tongue:

+1 Skills to Nightblade or Shaman(or even all to use it with AA focused Saboteur etc)

Some CDR to Shadow Strike itself.[or maybe it can be added to wyrmbone handguards(probably too much)]

More Cold>Lightning conversion so we can atleast reach %75 with MI shoulder.

Some physical resistance like %5.

When you use Stormrend to get some skill points, CDR and phys resist you end up something like this https://www.grimtools.com/calc/62aamQx2 , it looks neat but you either use spam PS and lose the cdr to it or you end up a DW Melee caster build which uses CDR PS/SS that needs to spam Wind Devils and kite around. Also cooldown PS does not do reliable damage even with 2H so 2x Stormrends PS is only good for DoT stacking which kills your survival. Also you lose the meaning of the set because you don’t actually need the pierce conversion(conduit already converts it for SS) on it and you can’t use the WPS with PS.

When you use Stormhearts instead to use Savagery, you suffer from lack of skill points, phys resist, CDR etc. https://www.grimtools.com/calc/xZy0QX0V Like this

So I don’t really know what the set really do but in the end it’s a blue set so maybe we ask too much. Though I would really like to see Lightning Nightblade AA builds.

Edit: For example, a lightning SS/PS build without stormserpent set, https://www.grimtools.com/calc/mN49m952

4 Likes

This is a great breakdown. Thanks for putting these together.

My hope was as some sort of as build using SS and savagery + nightblade top row. I knew the minute I looked at it skill point starvation would be an issue.

And I wouldn’t necessarily desire for it to take on the deep endgame stuff like celestials but I think it’d be a heck of a lot of fun to play. Strike in, unleash hell, watch the lightning storm. We’ll nickname it Flashpoint Speedforce. :laughing:

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/wV19eknV

This was the setup I played two patches ago, it’s more AA focused than SS. It was okay, surely no problem in MC and can do some 65-66 if you play careful, damage was not that bad as it seems on GT but it was too squishy. The sad part you don’t have enough OA to utilize those crit damages and no skill points to invest WPS.

That looks pretty similar to what I was just theory crafting though hasn’t quite finished with it. That’s what gave me the idea to ask about serpent.

If it got buffed to legendary status you could put a oa% on the belt. Frustrating with the weapons as well. Not really any greens to throw in the either. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ve tested this set a great deal a couple of weeks ago and done some feedback. Hopefully it will see better days :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Oh damn! I tried to search to see if there was anyone else calling for it. I’ll see if I can find it again, much easier knowing who, and I’ll put a link in your thread so it’s somewhat consolidated

You won’t find it in the open forum :stuck_out_tongue:

But it exists and it gave stormserpent all the love it could. For SAvagery+ SS that is

1 Like

Well any upgrade to the set or changes some other items to be used in the archetype is welcome. Maybe we get an AQC modifier with lightning damage? Because it’s mostly useless without 11/8 and this build has not such skill points to invest that and I really feel pierce>lightning conversion obsolete without having AQC and WD wps invested.

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue:

praetorian

HEH. But thanks for giving Stormserpent an inner circle shout. Who knows, maybe it’ll get some love.

In my defense i’ve never posted long feedbacks in the open forum ever. There used to be a no reply feedback section on the old forum and i’d post there :stuck_out_tongue:

Long, very long story short storm had 3 issues to be addressed:

1. Survivability, resistances, hp, phys res
  2. Skill point hungry, very hungry and all over the place
  3. Simply needs a bit more damage

With all of these it could do under 5 min crucible consistently i think, and without dying all the time

But we’ll see :wink:

3 Likes

Okay, this is what I’ve theoried up. Don’t laugh. It’s OBVIOUS meme-ry.

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/O2GnEBGN

One thing that has me baffled though is the Pierce to Lightning Conversion. Helm, Amulet and Chest + the three piece set bonus all point to 100% pierce to lightning. Am I not reading that correct? Because if so, why is there a metric shit ton of Pierce showing in Grim Tools.

Other than that everything else is obvious to me. Starving for skill points. Low Phy Res. Low Secondary Reses. Trying to keep AS up and OA up and DA up.

huff huff huff

I’m tired thinking about it.

Oh and that green amulet, those affixes are OBVIOUSLY DREAMING TO BE BIG but aside from the huge damage losses you don’t really need it (i took it for the AS mainly.)

I have everything to test this except that ‘specific’ amulet make up. Will probably just give it a go to see how hilarious it is. :smiley:

Grimtools isn’t reliable when it comes to showing converted damage. Better test it ingame.

Because grim tools didn’t read that conversion from conduit, so in total it read only 75% pierce to lightning. You can check yourself by removing the conduit prefix.

So, put it all together in game.

1. The pierce to lightning, it’s not as bad live BUT turns out it’s the physical to lightning on the Crystallum that is causing it.

2. Oh is this meme-ry at it’s finest. Took me 18 seconds to kill Zarthuzallan. :flushed: And I nearly died once. Now, I’m not the best pilot in the world so far be it from me to say that’s pretty bad, but, yeah.

I have played in the past Stormserpent Trickster and build was cool but sadly lacking on multiple levels. The biggest concern was the lack of +mastery and set is occupying head and belt slots, which usually are your main booster. Especially problematic if you use MI weapons.

Also defensive problems , Trickster class is usually pretty glassy and set is actually intensifying this problem. I hope it’s improved, lightning Shadow strike is pretty cool concept.

2 Likes

The pierce ratio in crsytalum is also the culprit, but on your off hand, there should be no pierce damage

1 Like

This is what you can do if you go full retard with greens :rofl:
Impossible Lightning SS / BS / Chillspikes trickster:
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/p25YvPo2
(survival in Crucible not yet known but maybe Twin Fangs on Chillspikes
with 67% proc chance on single target thanks to 5 projectiles can carry)

2 Likes

Just wanted to pile on and say, I’m also very interested in this set, but it’s hard to work with without +1 to skills. Really the best solution here is to add +1 to all three classes on the helm, there’s no other sources you can use, I checked on grimtools and there isn’t a single cold+lightning weapon that brings +1 to all skills to Nightblade or Shaman. Maybe alongside, (just throwing suggestions out there), rework Shard of Asterkarn to have cold + lightning damage and attack speed, and move the conduit affix to that weapon. Then we could use a Kaisan amulet. Or better yet, if we want the set to truly shine, add some global acid -> lightning somewhere, then this could turn into a cold+lightning alternative to Nex and Ortus.

Or instead of any of that just upgrade the set to legendary status. If there’s so much interest in the set + playstyle then perhaps it deserves an upgrade.

I’ve got no comment on demo side of the set.

Edit: Also, for people making builds with this conduit, you really want Lethal Assault, like you would with a Morgoneth SS build. It’s a gigantic damage boost.

1 Like

Now that’s just perverted. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

This is what I asked for so I’d give this two thumbs up! :+1:t2::+1:t2: