Strategies for bosses and other tough enemies in one place?

Just wondering if some of you maybe come across a written guide / post / video on multiple bosses / tough enemies. There’s a ton of info on our forum but it’s random, single pieces of information you need to do quite a lot of searching for. Something like ‘don’t let Sentinel stand near his crystals’ or ‘watch out for Grava’Thul raising his hands’.

3 Likes

I havent seen anything, but it would be awesome to have a post like the build compendiums/collections, thats updated over time by many different players sharing their experience with strategies and tactics against bosses for each class/class combo.

Sounds like a big undertaking to organize all that, but the end product could be really great for those who are curious to see how other players approach these fights.

1 Like

A great idea.

I am currently struggling with two lvl 100 characters to kill the Barrowholm nemesis “Reaper of the Lost”.
Both can clear virtually anything in the game, but this nemesis just wrecks them and I am at a loss of how to tackle him.

I have a few characters that I think may be able to take him, but unfortunately they are allied with Barrowholm so they cannot hunt this Reaper.

This actually is a great aspect in this game in that you can have a character that wrecks Kubracabra and BenJarr in seconds, but Lokarr will kill you in equally the same time. Like in real life, no matter how good you think you are, there is ALWAYS someone out there who is BETTER than you!

I do keep my own notes on which characters can kill which nemesis and other top tier bosses, but some formal guide on the attacks and mechanics on fighting these would be awesome.

1 Like

Would definitely be a big undertaking, not necessarily because a number of Bosses are threatening themselves but because some Heroes or normal enemies are more threatening than they would appear out there.

I suppose it would be similar to the Ashes of Malmouth bestiary topic we have but more concise and around all content.

The problem of this kinda guide is that most non-nemesis/nemesis enemies are really challenging in high SR/Crucible but rather easier in MC. The Challenge level also differs from build to build, and there is human enemies with rng items geared so it’s kinda self-learn knowledge.

I made that topic, heh… But it was based on just observations. I still dunno how exactly to use the editor to check monster abilities and what they do. I thought about doing the same for Forgotten Gods but to be frank, just did not have the time.

1 Like

Grimtools seems like it parses monster abilities in a format that most players can understand. Between using it as a reference and dissecting monsters/fights in-game, probably can get a good understanding of how everything works and develop strategies/pointers to watch out accordingly.

That said though, even if it’s only for a certain number of Bosses and more than one person were working on it, it’s something that would take a lot of time.

My problem with Grimtools is that is just lists abilities and you have to basically guess at whether these are projectiles or melee attacks or area of effect stuff, etc. But yeah I gotten some of the abilities from them when I was stumped about what certain monster skills do.

From my experience some more advanced mechanics and strategies for bosses do not matter until going for very high sr. In just 65-76 or Crucible it’s just matter of proper build/target focusing and basics like do not get hit by Alexander’s meteor or watch out for Mad Queen’s aura/Grava nullify. Safe overcaps for resistances are something like 50% aether/pierce and bleeding does not matter a lot/rest 30%.

Here are some fast tips from me for some bosses:

1. Ben’jahr: his crystals can be destroyed with fake pets like Guardians/Blade spirits/Termite Mines/Reap spirits/proc from Ring of Morgoneth etc. If he put a lot of it and you are arcanist just put mirror up and jump into them to make some free space for longer fight.
    If you facetank him with meele then go for some very tight corner, he will put his crystals out of your feet so there is high chance they will not explode and you will not touch them until he is dead. Be careful on HC because of his “kamikaze death”.

2. Moosilauke - take high freeze resistances and do not fight around crystals/destroy them if you can and kite very slowly to not make him spawn few of them in every corner of map.

3. Valdaraan - if you pull bosses in sr 1by1 and you want to pull him - do not move, do not react once you see he is coming for you. He will always teleport in top of you instead of teleporting you into middle of the room on all bosses. Sometimes he use some sort of lightning nova, disengage imediately once your health move down faster than usually.

4. Fabius - if you play meele, after pulling him (he is going to be invisible) put on mirror/blade barrier/aether crystal if there is a risk he can one shot before starting leeching from meele attacks which can miss if you can’t target him. Do not attack him once he put his blade barrier, it makes damage, disengage a little but not to much to not make him invisible again.

5. Iron Maiden - take stun resistances, that’s important, nothing more really. But there is one trick I found in act of desperation after meeting her in sr 125 with spellbinder where her every attack outside of MoT/Mirror was oneshot. Attack her near some big stone/column/wall (lava sr room) only with MoT up, and disengage in last second. Do not use any mobility skills, just walk slowly around object (the bigger you choose the better) and lick the wall, it must be very tight and you can’t make distance more than 50% of circuit or she is going to one shot with insta charge from second direction. All her charges will be missed if you did everything correctly. Can be done with some soldier archetype using Overguard/Absolution.

6. Grava’thul - his nullify can be kited in the straight line without any walls or without pulling other bosses on conclave map. Just go from one corner to another (closest to start position), it will expire. With teleport runes it can be jumped without being hit too.

7. Kaisan - similar to Moosilauke, do not fight near crystals/destroy them/kite very slowly to have as much free space in longer fight as possible. After disengage it may be worth to immediately put up mirror (arcanist only) or health potion to not being destroyed with his doom bolt.

8. Gargaban - in second phase move a lot of - he is putting vulcanos under feet and his plants hit like truck, kill them slowly if possible. Before jumping into him and attacking for some time bait his vulcano, try to have all temporary buffs up if possible, he is hardest meele hitter.

9. Alexander - I think he is tracking player’s cursor to decide where to cast his meteor (I am not sure and I can’t confirm it any way), that’s worth to known eventually. Fight near the wall, put your cursor into wall direction be very close to it, a lot of his meteors will hit it instead of you but be ready to go away. Do not fight near crystals.

10. Zantarin - bait his shotgun attack before engage, kill skeletons, they are deadlier than nemesis itself.

5 Likes

For any MayaTM Pet builds:

Everything except Crate of Entertainment: Run around like a headless chicken on fire while you wait for your pets to kill stuff.

For Crate: https://i.imgur.com/C6gXDyF.jpg

3 Likes

Could you please help me decide between two setups?

• one a bit less damage but 60% Reflect Damage Reduction (Presence of Virtue, Titan’s Plating, Serenity)

• the other one has 15% Reflect (Ascension) but more damage thanks to Meditation relic instead of Serenity

I use Acid Scions of Dreegs, DEE, Sigil of Consumption

I have tested two of them on Mad Queen many times but I don’t notice any particular difference on survival whenever I’m kiting or trying to facetank for faster killing time.

Is this 60% Reflect reduction going to be useful in SR and Crucible for such a character?

@Nery You could add a word or two on Reflect Damage Reduction to your guide: Guide: Recommended stats for end game

@Nery I’ll look into this guide but I remember it mostly for how to move your character, how to choose enemies for the best time.

1 Like

@ya1 have a guide about enemies in Crucible:

Ultimate Guide To Crucible Speedrunning - CoD 3b/VB Edition

It’s focused around speed and in Crucible is little different than in SR or base game, since enemies have less health pool, some stripped abilities but gang on you fast.

I also was thinking guide with strategies against Nemeses. I am not competent enough to comment super bosses.

1 Like

That’s not bad idea.

Actually for SR there’s one thing I like in OK and that’s resistance to life reduction. It’s mega nasty if you meet chtonics with your caster and suddenly go 7-8k health.

Reflected damage reduction is not that important in my experience, unless you’re playing physical build or you are not aware of reflect damage mechanic. Also it’s sound idea to have high overcaps on your main damage, just in case.

1 Like