Stun Jacks vfx blow out intentional?

Is the complete blow out on stun jacks intentional, at darker areas? Makes the skill pretty hurtful to play for longer durations.

What graphic settings are you using out of curiosity?

maybe play with Flux (makes colors warmer)
or set time of the day to permanent morning in Grim Internals

1 Like

Here are my graphic settings:

I have set my monitor (Benq PD2500Q), which has pretty good color display accuracy, to a very harsh low blue light setting. It might not be that a big issue for people without IPS panels (lower contrast and more narrowed color space).
I just thought the feedback might be valuable since such a big blow out might not be intended to occur.

Daytime does not fix the occuring blow out, only the intense glow.

Edit: This seems to be caused by additive particle stacking. It could be solved by a non additive shader with darker color placed behind the additive lightning covering the underlaying particles.

Particles to low will fix it.
I do it always when playing lightning or cold melee. Otherwise its always like… that.

Does anybody know which .pfx is used for the detonation of non-converted stun jacks? I want to take a closer look.

This is true for most effects in the game. Quite some time ago, i discovered that disabling Post Processing makes the game much much easier to eyes while still looking decent. Everything is much more readible. With PP, everything is just lightbulbs. I suggest trying it out

1 Like

God damn, that´s awesome!!
I can even play the game with very high particles without going blind!!!

Yep. You can max out any graphic options, just disable Post process and you’re fine (this is kind of subjective, but this game’s lighting effects are out of control with PP on)

This was the one and biggest critique I´ve always had with Grim Dawn! I either cannot see the enemy anymore or I miss out on that shiny effecs. Both was not possible at the same time. Until now! Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

While we’ve reworked many FX over the years, to truly address the blowout issue cause by overlapping additive FX would require some major changes to the engine that we are just not in a place to do at this point.

That said, I’ve tweaked the offending FX a little for the hotfix so it should be at least slightly less blinding.

5 Likes

I deeply appreciate your reply and I am thankful for taking this into consideration for the next hotfix.

I have luckily found the used pfx’s more as an accident and tweaked some settings which made it look pleasing for me to play with at day/ night conditions. It might help cutting down the needed extra time for tweaking the pfx or other players meanwile to customize their stunjacks vfx.

tweaked_stunjacks.zip (6.2 KB)

Some screenshots of the tweaked stunjacks:

Edit: I am looking forward to the changed FX and hope Grim Dawn will one day receive the mentioned engine changes for different shader / improved lighting.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.