Sunder is just bad for the game

Thanks for the MOD link - I’ll think about that.

Which endgame content are you no longer able to engage with, and on what difficulty?

At the same time that we added the Sunder mechanic, we also made the game scale to level 100 on all difficulties, meaning you can comfortably farm endgame loot on lower difficulties if you so choose. Apart from a few legendary items and secret superbosses that are exclusive to Ultimate difficulty, everything is available on lower difficulties. Consequently, Sunder is also much weaker on lower difficulties.

It is also worth mentioning that Sunder itself does not kill you. If you take a Sunder hit, you still have time to adjust and react to the attacks that come after, whether you choose to take advantage of the new evade skill or not.

Incidentally, we also made v1.1.9.8, the pre Sunder/Evade version of the game, permanently available under Steam betas. So that pristine version of the game is immortalized, from before we, uh, killed it.

12 Likes

Without sunder you could rather easily make every build able to facetank all celestials without much of a problem. I like it since it gives the player a reason to go overboard on defenses. If you dont have sunder there is a certain threshold of sustain that allows you to facetank everything and gives you no incentive to make your build any tankier.

now you basically have 3 different types of builds:

1. kite all the time
  2. facetank as long as you are not sundered
  3. facetank everything
2 Likes

Hi Zantai, I appreciate the reply.

The boss I was having trouble with was Lokarr on Ultimate that I wanted to farm for his set (as I did a full reset game to zero for this start). So it is proper endgame. It was with a solid tanky built Blitz Warlord, and I eventually did beat him but it was so frenetic and twitchy that it was not enjoyable, just really stressful.

I get it that you can’t build a game around 60 year old reflexes, and I will continue to play, I’ll just have to get used to not being able to do all the content I used to.

Thanks.

In defense of sunder, I can say that it replaced enemies’ RR. Means you no longer need to gain a stable overcap of resistances and replace components/augments by shifting the focus to other layers of protection or damage

Well you can definitely build Blitz Warlord to facetank Lokarr, I can tell you that.here’s some up-to-date one for example 1.2.1 Blitz Warlord

2 Likes

My build is quite similar to that, except I went AoM instead of RF as AoM is my favourite skill. I am also SSF. The biggest problem I had when I actually did manage to farm him was OA, as I was running Oleron’s Rage at first, but was getting shredded, so switched to Menhirs and lost all my OA.

Like I say, most people would probably cream him with a similar build, but aging is cruel.
Warlord, Level 100 (GD 1.2.1.2) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator (grimtools.com)

I wasn’t a fan of sunder initially, but it’s a very good change imo. Adds a level of immersion, makes ya pay more attention in some fights.

And it’s easy enough to hit spacebar and point the cursor in the desired direction. I don’t think sunder made any builds unplayable at endgame; or any stage of the game for that matter; game feels more balanced and QOL than it ever has.

2 Likes

i don’t think age is the issue there tbh, but partial build approach and likely fight approach; you’re basically a kiting capable build, Lokarr shouldnt’ really bother you much regardless of sunder
So, even if we ignore the OA part, just play into what your build allows, and don’t try to facetank him 24/7

That was how I eventually defeated him. It clearly isn’t impossible as I did it. My main point is that it was no longer enjoyable.

I think you underestimate the effect aging has on your ability to react. Your brain is a lot slower and your reflexes gone.

Anyway, I have my Lokarr set, so the pain is over.

Maybe Lokarr could be changed so that it is possible on Elite for the more mobility challenged of us that are also altaholics. It’s not like the drops affect endgame.

i’m not dismissing age having an impact on evade
what i’m saying is, you’re playing a particular build that doesn’t have to rely on evade
*the way i view this build lineup, “however not optimally minmaxed”, is just looking at the skills, is it’s basically the perfect/accidental “braindead” Lokarr sunder counter, you blitz in, and casually walk away, cast aegis, rinse repeat
^this will obviously no doubt not be fast, but the skill utilization in the build means it has a very large wiggleroom for “low skill”/reaction and timing based twitch reflex stuff

only thing more “casually comfy” would be a ranged cooldown caster/dot build :sweat_smile:
-you deciding to take aegis over RF actually made this build “simpler” in that regard, since you don’t have to contend with enemy attacks the same, or atleast have the option to ignore them for kiting/aegis casting at a distance

If it’s any consolation, I have never been able to kill Lokarr with my characters. So what you consider “taken away from you” I never even had and I don’t complain about it. This fight should be difficult.

I like Sunder and especiallty evade but there are times I notice some situations exacerbate survivability.
A few builds have so much area visual effects sometimes you miss seeing the Sunder; this is an issue I am having with my current piano skill build against Ravager and compounded by humanoid size enemies.

A more general situation is when suffering a lag-glitch and “input lag” to keyboard; I see the input lag or more likely keyboard-mouse skill queuing at times even when not associated with frame response time drop; strarted awhile back after a specific GD update.

Sometimes you can find lag that just means you take the Sunder and the follow-up hit before you can react, had that against Ravager.
These are just observations but I can put up with them as Sunder-Evade adds an interesting dynamic to the GD game.
Although the queue keyboard-mouse delay and waiting to move can be annoying, I think it relates to something awhile back update wise because Evade has much less of this issue compared to an movement skill.

Would be nice if there was an option setting to have even greater visual warning Sunder skill is about to happen, such as a column of light over the enemy or something comparable beyond the current warning.
Also while in intense combat I find I mistake the Sunder taken visual with that of being taken to near death flash.

You still have to stand still to cast Aegis, and also to use Blitz vs stun bosses you need to be much closer than usual due to being interrupted.
Of course they could just run around for 5-10 minutes taking pot shots then your point “Lokarr shouldnt’ really bother you much regardless of sunder” may have meaning, making it a terrible fight.

which matters how in terms of range? standing still for a split second had never been an issue for CD casters/kiters; they still offer the range advantage, the range advantage that here keeps you out of “melee” sunder spam, but also give the breathing room for not having to rely on evade the same

no you can still blitz from a distance, it doesn’t change, when the blitz is done you still walk away, the difference vs a potential interuptable attack or not will just be that it might not connect (and the longer distance you are from an enemy when you blitz the lower chance they will engange close range CC effects and would use long range like benji trap)

that is indeed an option, even part of the very method/approach i said this aegis>RF setup lends itself well to
you might not have tried blitz or ranged/cd casters much by the way you think they act?

1. You cannot Blitz once your stunned, have you tried it at a distance where you move because stun stops it?
    2.Mid range stop casting vs a spam sunder boss your still being hit unless you spend 70% of the fight running around like a headless chicken, terrible way to fight.
    Just saying because you make Lokarr’s attack with its combined Sunder sound trivial for players.

you blitz before/after it’s not rocket science - you’re not going to be caught out n every blitz, specially not when you do it from outside X skill trigger distance

mid range casting is, relatively “long” range/safe distance; lokar sunders in melee, because his attack is on his AA/“forcewave”, you can easily outrange him
it’s infact why/how Lokarr is Much easier now post sunder on non channel casters and kiters/kite capable builds, because they can stay out of nasty distance and only have to contend with shadow strike
try better

i’m hit by YT upload limit, but i’d make a neat little recording of just how much that “stun blitz interrupt” is either all in your head, or you’re thinking of something else/forgetting this fight/what blitz can do; stun preventing blitz is not an issue

You cannot stop arguing with me today can you :smiley:
It may had been more in the past as the goto was to have strong stun resist vs Lokarr and Mogdrogen, not just me thinking that but such as Rekt and co.
But again as an argument you focus on one point and not the whole context.
Context was you said to the guy Lokarr’s attack and sunder is trivial for the aegis and blitz build and inferred they should run around, along with age not being an issue (I feel your not listening to some of what drubchen says).
In reality at moderate range your hit by Lokarr’s stun atk (albeit I think every 6ish seconds), furthermore as I was saying if you then try to dodge most of the sunder and take pot shots that is a terrible way to fight Lokarr in the long term.
A player needs to judge their cooldowns-sustains and taking those Lokarr attacks to DPS then kite.
Anyway I love the new Lokarr as its a great way to test how tanky ones char with Lokarr’s consistency and strong damage without being too extreme; its the perfect boss to understand a build’s sustain capability for the harder end-game.

Edit:
And one piece of advice we all didnt give, mutators can matter vs Lokarr especially cooldown/speed related ones on enemies.

you’re mistaken, there is no arguing here, that would require you to come with something debatable
i’m, vehemently, “objectively”, telling you “this isn’t the case”
or in simpler terms; you’re fundamentally and mechanically wrong on this part
*this isn’t an opinion btw :sweat_smile:
**and like i mentioned in the other, if you don’t like replies; then just don’t reply, because if you reply to me i will reply to answer, either as “courtesy” however unwanted sometimes; or to “correct” things/clear up misunderstands or potential perceived misreadings/miscommunications (i’m great at not being legible :+1:); but most definitely also to counter a direct reply that’s flat out “telling me” something incorrect…
*saying “telling me”, because i’m recieving these as direct replies, (I would still reply if it was “mentions” tho/if it’s mentions that seem “direct” to me/something i said)

irrelevant to anything going on ehre and all points made, by both of us - that’s the skewing happenign

i am not, and that is indeed the key you take A, and B say X either to both or individually; and i’m addressing that in kind, fully, and soley - yes i am indeed “staying on top” (just our little side of it here now tho)

these are separate and i even highlighted their separteness, how, and where

i did not; i even very much specified, exactly because it was initially perceived so

i am very aware that twitch reflexes has been an issue for people post sunder, even those not dealing with age, hence why i’m not dismissing it
I’m very much directly specifically mentioning this whole thing because this is a semi niche case where we have almost the perfect lokarr counter where twitch reflexes/evade isn’t really paramount because of the way this specific fight can run, and how these skills then mechanically work in that element
*i even mention there are few things more perfect than this potential build, ie actual pure range kiters (since blitz technically puts us in close distance that is an element of threat/dmg but not where evade/twitch reflexes is then required still)

you are not - my videos will not only show this; grimtools will show this (and if you went and played the fight you’d quickly get an understanding of why that is), but i’ll spoil it
*medium doesn’t mean the same for NPC as for player

yep there is 12sec cd on hp pot, that is indeed somethnig to be aware; doesnt’ require twitch reflexes or evade skills

you can semi waltz around a lot of the dmg, not just so much because of AI jank but just the way skills and his skill work in general mechanically/“animation” and casting stuff wise
bigger(est) issue is actually when the waves start doing their weird homing thing later and travel round the arena, you can still avoid that but it can get awfully weird walking in awkward paths while looking out for the NPC; but again, it’s generally not really that much twitch reflex/evade requirement there (you’ll see)

very much, and the weapon he spawns with :sweat_smile:
haven’t fought lokar much after the phys dmg change so i’m not really sure how/if that affected him, but prior to 1.2.1 +phys dmg mutator could be absolutely murder on some low phys res low armour builds