Taking on the Clones of John Bourbon

I just attempted the final stage of Daila’s Secret Quest for the first time. Very neat stuff (I’m sure even funnier to people who were around in early access :slight_smile: )!

Actually completing the quest is a bit of a problem, though. Should the Clones of John Bourbon be thought of as a super-boss fight like the Avatar of Mogdrogen, which one should not expect a typical character to be able to win? I’ve never attempted to fight the Avatar so I don’t have a good basis of comparison. But my first character is pretty well geared, very tanky, can handle SoT and BoC with no problem. But the clones are just overwhelming. Looking at the Grimtools monster DB, I get most of the way through the fight, since it’s the Deathly and Tainted clones who kill me (six clones active - one or two might be Electrified or Burning, it’s hard to tell in the chaos of that fight). But the Final and Actually Final clones look to be even tougher based on Grimtools, so this fight looks like a big nope to me. :frowning:

Is there some benchmark that would allow a player to tell if their character is finally tough enough to beat the Clones? Or just “wait until every item is best-in-slot, then try it and see what happens”? This character isn’t quite there yet, though I don’t know that the last three gear upgrades would make such a huge difference…

Note: base game, level 85, if that matters.

Last time I did clones was back in vanilla but IIRC they were just a resistance check. Each clone deals one specific damage type, so all you need to do is to have capped (and possibly overcapped) resists on all damage types (physical is almost impossible to cap on most builds). Of course you need to have enough damage too.

1 Like

Thanks. There it is - the projectiles from the Tainted Clone have “50 Reduced target’s Resistances for 5 Seconds”. All my damage resistances are capped (except physical of course), but none are overcapped by 50, and only bleed (87+49) and aether (80+42) are close. In particular poison/acid is only at 80+6.

“Enough damage” could be an issue as well. DPS became sort of OK once I got most of the Warborn set, but it’s still a tanky character and is noticeably slower to kill things than my other high level characters. Sheet dps is 32152 if that means anything.

OK, I’ll have to pass on this one until I have a character with more overcapped resists (and better dps), if that ever happens…

Fighting the Clones in vanilla is a matter of proper positioning and aggro management. Many may have gotten used to being able to bypass such skillchecks what with movement runes in FG, but for the Clones, you need to “lose them” around the tight confines of the arena you’re stuck to.

As you discovered, Tainted Clones are by far the most dangerous variant of the bunch. Work on isolating it and fighting it solo, if possible. The Final Form isn’t too bad and the Actually Fine Form is a bit of a nerfed-Fabius, so if you can handle Fabius you should be fine there.

1 Like

What Ceno said, move around and try to separate the clones so that you don’t have to deal with all of them at once.

They are also kind of dumbasses and start trying to shoot you through the walls of the little hallway into the arena if you are just little bit outside of that hallway. The 50 RR skill from the Tainted Clone is similar to the Obsidian Tremor skill, a row of spikes gets thrown at you and you can actually dodge it because it’s not really super fast.

1 Like

Thanks! Aggro maneuvering was the key. One of the Corrupted Clones came out alone, turned into the Final and then Actually Final Form, easy enough one on one. The four Deathly Clones and other three Corrupted (I guess I must have killed the last Tainted when I died before…) came out together, but they were oddly bad at making the turn around the corner from the entrance to the space actual Bourbon uses as his office in actual Devil’s Crossing, so that was good for recovering health and energy. :slight_smile: Though managing to do all that without dying at least once still seems like it would be an impressive feat.

All that work, and the only legendary that dropped was Gazer Man. Thanks Crate. :roll_eyes: I shouldn’t have expected any different. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Gazer man is the best!