Temporary shelter giving me headaches

So I hope this topic didn’t get talked about this specific in the past and I just couldn’t find it… sorry if so.

I have read few times here and on other forums that temporary shelters are not working. And the answers I’ve seen in the past weren’t really eye opening to me tbh.

I know to build them at far away work places like mines and working camps. Also I know they are supported by wagoners. Now here the thing I don’t know: can they act as a food supply ONLY as well? I mean can a villager grab some food without being shown in there? If so, this would make at least a little bit of sense to me.

At the start of my recent game I built some temporary shelters relatively close to housing as my city is split in two (west-east) by a mountain (middle) and industrial area (north). I wanted to have shelters for people on the fields and mines (far south) for maximum efficiency. Now in the beginning shelters were used almost every winter - they had smoke coming out and people were sitting in there and getting out when strong cold was over.
Then when game went on I had to build mines even further away and I built shelters that could take up every single worker on these mines. Not too close to the mines (dirt) but on their way back to the city and definitely closer then a house. I built a dwell directly next to them and wagoners on the outside of my city in their direction for food and firewood support.
All the shelters are filled up with stuff and getting constantly supported very well. But they don’t get used anymore.

It’s like there was a point (let it be population count or I crossed a distance with shelters the game doesn’t like) where the shelters where deactivated to take up people from cold. People were using them good against cold when they where closer to town but as I went more away from town the switch was flipped kinda. During extreme cold people are running by the shelters into their city home (and can’t stress enough… a longer distance then before when they were actually using them).

I’m on v0.9.0 but if I remember correctly this was the case in the previous version as well.

Tl;dr as the game goes on (more population?) and the mines are further away temporary shelters stop working completely. Anyone having the same problem and possible reason/solution?

[Idea I will try next time starting the game: increase beauty around the shelters by parks and so on… maybe my villagers are too spoiled?]

1 Like

i also noticed taht at early stage like <300 people temp shelters are used a lot. and then at some time they are not as popular as they should.
but i keep looking at them and the food in those shelters is consumed so maybe its working, but still need some actual knoledge the deep mechanincs of it

2 Likes

Exactly… they should be used more but the opposite is the case. I also realised food changes but that also could be because of it rotting right?

Edit: also tried moving the shelters around - doesn’t change anything

dunno may be. when town is grown enough more then 400 people ur attention to those little details is dispersed

1 Like

I posted this in the preview discussion area as well, but I really think the villagers get… stupider as the city grows.

2 Likes

Something is definitely wrong with temp shelters.
I personally have never seen anyone actually staying inside. I have seen people going in for a second to grab food and get out. But occupancy is always emtpy.
The latest thing I just saw (I have a population of 1K) is seeing how a fully stocked shelter got emptied by a worker, who just arrived, took everything with him and left, leaving the shelter just with a couple of firewood sticks. (shrug)
Maybe I have missed it but for what I can tell, villagers never stay in temp shelters, they love walking all the way back to their homes.

1 Like

I experienced a “funny” situation yesterday.

I had two temporary shelters next to a mine and a couple of other smalls activities outside of the town. Two shelters, because more than 8 workers are working in that remote location.

The first of these shelters was supplied with firewood, fruits and meat.
The other one had not been supplied, so was empty.

About 6 workers went to take shelter there (why only 6 out of all the workers there, no clue).
They all decided to go in the empty one. And they all died from cold.

On the moment I really thought they were being stupid of course, so I wish there would be a bit more AI put in the choice of a temp shelter to go to.

1 Like

Interesting… I would have precisely followed the guy emptying the shelter. Like “where is that damn guy going with my stuff???” lol

That’s also strange… I also was at a point where I thought all the shelters out there couldn’t be supplied anymore. So I built wagoners right outside at the wall of my city near all storages and in direction of the shelters. I built them up until the point where they start standing in the wagoners house waiting for tasks… means slightly too much. So all shelters get supported very well and yet they don’t get used (for protection) anymore at all

You are right I should have totally done that

1 Like

Temporary shelter giving me headaches

You and me both man… They’ve never quite worked the way I had hoped and it has been a challenge to have them properly utilized due to the complexities of the AI and competing wants / needs. It is something we will try to revisit in the future once more critical problems and feature work have been resolved.

3 Likes

In my latest play (0.9.1p4), and my first on medium difficulty, I am experiencing the headache acutely. Some resources I only found quite far from my village and I can’t tell you how terrible it is to have the workers head all the way back to the village that will take them a few minutes to “seek food” or “seek shelter” when there is a fully stocked temporary shelter one tile from their work site and thats the only place I have that specific resource coming from. Now they are at risk of being attack by wild animals for no reason and I’m going to have to wait like 5-10 minutes for them to start producing that resource again. I don’t think I’ve ever seen any workers use the temporary shelter near them, but sure the grocers are wasting time stocking it for everything to go to waste.

1 Like

Glad to hear, not about the headaches, but that you guys have it in mind. Of course! I only can imagine what a ton of work combined with headaches it can be crafting a game. One step after another. Thanks for confirming

[quote=“Stonemason, post:12, topic:131253, full:true”] there is a fully stocked temporary shelter one tile from their work site
[/quote]

Just a side note because I have read that few times now. Shelters act like houses when it comes to dirty work places like mines. We normally first build the mine and then the shelter i guess. But then when it’s done take a mine again and hover it over your finished mine (or just to look at the effect, next to your shelter). It then shows you that the shelter gets unattractive. Doesn’t solve the problem I described in my initial post, but may solve some problems when shelters would work normally. Just a factor to keep in mind

1 Like

I have never seen a worker use a temporary shelter. They don’t seem to serve any purpose in the game. Hopefully they will get them working as intended.

I’m always wondering about that as well. I built three mines a long way from the city, and halfway between the city and the mines two temp shelters. They do use it, happy to say. I’ve wondered in other places but at least it works sometimes.

I’ve only seen them used during snow events.

1 Like

They already work. Try building a mine far away from town, wait a full year and look at the yearly output. Now build a temporary shelter nearby, wait for it to be stocked of food and firewood and wait another full year and then again take a look at yearly output. It will be much higher than before…because workers spend less time going back to their homes.

1 Like

Or maybe smarter… I mean would you want to winter it out in essentially a dry cabin when you have a manor full of spices, books, plenty of firewood next to a theatre , school, pub, and bakery waiting for you back home? :thinking:

Just sayin’

My villagers are born to work hard not to enjoy life. :rofl:

1 Like