The Carnival - A Guide to Pets

Ok, I know some have been wondering when I will update my Ghol Blightfiend based builds.

And I believe I have the answer.

Never…

I am not saying that they are no longer viable. But Blightfiends are no longer upto my standards. And no, it is not because of 1.1.9.0, but the patch before that, which saw Mythical Circlet lose its CDR to Blightfiend, effectively killing the Unstable Anomaly Ghol builds.

So, what about non unstable anomaly builds, you ask?

Well… I rather redirect you to Diviner Reap Spirit based Cabalists and Ritualists or… I can’t believe I am actually saying this, but… Skeleton Pet builds… over Blightfiends…

To me, Blightfiends have become what Skeletons once used to be. That is in retrospect rather ironic since I once stated that there was no reason to use Skeletons since Blightfiends with Unstable Anomaly were simply better skeletons…

2 Likes

Currently I’m just challenging myself with a mono-class setup.
Might go completely south with a non-pet second class.

1 Like

Blightfiends are still fine as support units right? They have an aura that reduces enemy’s DA and can cause fumble/impaired aim. And the huge AoE + confusion from Blight Burst stops trash mobs from fighting altogether. It has been pretty helpful for my Pet Ritualist.

Blightfiends are still fine as main pets also. But if using Ghol (which you want if going Acid Pets due to RR), you are pretty much stuck without Unstable Anomaly.

And that makes Blightfiends much worse compared to other pets for my needs, which basically amounts to lazily killing superbosses, doing deep SR etc.

1 Like

Fwuffy, unsurprisingly goes insane: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/O2Gn4m5N

EDIT: Another failure :frowning:
Takes more than 15mins to kill Callagadra. Also tried Primal Instinct in place of Mog’s Ardor, but same result :sob:

1 Like

A new build makes its way into the list (will be added to the actual list much later after thorough testing).

Mnemosyne - Pet Conjurer

I don’t know how you feel about mods, but Bonescavenger’s Deathgrips was bugging me a little bit. Seems weird that an item for a summoner would have to trigger off self-kills, so I learned some modding basics and modified it to make it act like Primal Instinct instead (20% chance to trigger on attack).

https://mega.nz/folder/stdzEKDb#FI339AfYOEdN42YgCz-7zQ
(rename this file GDX1.arz and put it in SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\gdx1\database and make a backup of your original GDX1.arz)

This only affects the Mythical version of the gloves, not the lower level version.

I realize you can try and snipe kills before you pets get them, but that’s kind of annoying and very unreliable in higher SR I find. This also lets you summon them on bosses, which might be a little OP? I dunno, lol. I like that it’s more reliable and I don’t have to worry about sniping kills now.

1 Like

Regarding mods, the only problem is that I can’t build around them as that would then require others to play with those mods to get the full experience :stuck_out_tongue:

As for the gloves and their proc, you could tinker with the mod a bit and test out various situations and fights and adjust values as you see fit, and then perhaps post the results in the feedback section. Perhaps you could convince Zantai to change the proc :woman_shrugging:

Ok, it gets its place in the list :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Not to be snarky, but you’re roughly the 50th person to lodge this complaint regarding this specific issue.

If you’re not worried about the Bound Spirits proc, the gloves are already stacked with pet conversions from Physical and Acid to Vitality. If you are worried about the Bound Spirits proc, I’ve already demonstrated a build that farms SR75-76 with ease as Reap Spirit does a good job in killing things to get the proc.

Seriously, not everything has to be SR90 proof for an item to be good. Zantai’s already made the proc to be 100% on Enemy Death to make hybrid pet/player builds finally viable, and they’re already good for people who prefer more standard pet builds.

Let people enjoy things, will you?

3 Likes

Bro what’s your problem, I just wanted to share a little edit in case anyone else was interested. I’m not stopping anyone’s enjoyment.

3 Likes

If I had a list of every post along the 3+ years demanding Zantai to change the Bonescavenger proc despite it working exactly the way he intended it, I’d have a stupidly long list.

Pet builds are already on the short end of creativity unlike caster or melee builds, and having items that reward the player for gearing offensively and having an active role in combat instead of playing the same passive summoner role is a breath of fresh air.

The way the post was phrased made it seem you were trying to beg Zantai to change it by going “See, you can’t argue with data!” If that’s not what you were intending, I misread the situation.

The guy just made a small mod where the item proc is changed.

Just like some persons have made mods for infinite stash space, free item creation, chararacter editing…

I see no problem in that, how that is denying people to enjoy things?

2 Likes

I already mentioned above that if this wasn’t attempt #50 to hassle Zantai into changing the proc, then my bad for misreading the situation. I admit I could have misread the intent.

Anything further is just forum drama.

2 Likes

Yeah, no, nowhere in my post did I even mention Zantai or changes to the item on the dev side. I didn’t ask anyone to change anything, I went and made the change myself.

2 Likes

Thank for you super hard work super deep information
but i have some questionwhich class (conjurer ritualist cabalist) that you prefer in term of clearing speed for fast farming legendary to other character?

1 Like

First of all, let me welcome you to the forums :blush:

Now, specific builds aside, generally I favour conjurer more. Mostly because it seems to have more variety of options.

Regarding Clearing speed, they are all pretty much the same since Shattered Realms shards 75-76 is rather easy on a pet build.

1 Like

thanks for your advice
your 110 page handbook are incredibly open my world for pet build :slight_smile:

1 Like

1 Like

that’s cool

1 Like