The State of Early Access - Update #04

I have 353hrs playtime and I just wanted to drop my two cents in. I think expanding existing mechanics will improve the game more than adding new mechanics. For example, another food type would add more enjoyment than adding bridges. I would love more items to craft, a few early game items and a lot more end game items could expand playtime farther. If chicken drop feathers, it could be interesting to require a feather to craft arrows. It’d be fun if the crafting & resource mechanics got even more complex as the game goes on. I think y’all probably already knew that, you’re doing a great job developing this in a fun direction!

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Retirement

2 posts were split to a new topic: How to access the Playtest version of the game?

I can’t stand these alcoholics anymore! They are slacking off! They got drunk on the battlefield! One of my heavily armed infantry not only demolished the tavern, but even killed 40 citizens, while I was completely powerless. We need police stations and prisons, or allow our soldiers to attack drunken individuals with violent tendencies!

1 Like

I have been playing this game for 558 hours and I have been committed to creating a sustainable and beautiful world. Some bugs are really terrible, and some mechanisms lack sustainability.
Firstly, there is a need for more population size choices. If I choose unlimited population, then the map cannot accommodate so much content.
Secondly, the production of leather is too low. I have a population of 1000 and 8 huge animal sheds. Whenever a merchant passes by my city, I still have to search for all the leather, but it still cannot meet my needs.
Thirdly, farmers often leave their fields. They left their responsible area without a trace, causing a large amount of food to rot in the fields, which is very incomprehensible to me.
Fourthly, we need more terrain change functions. Now we can flatten the ground, but we need a function to excavate the canal. The current multi-layer city walls are too fragile when facing siege vehicles. My soldiers have been on their way since they discovered the invaders, and two layers of city walls were captured before they crossed 40 squares. If more types of intruders are added in the future, it will be devastating. If we can dig the Moat, it will be an effective solution.

1 Like

sounds Fun!

This can make a crime horror film.

It reads like an anecdotal report from Dwarf Fortress.

The problem with pelt production is one I cosign, but not just pelt, also tallow.
I need to completely overload on meat production to get enough pelts and tallow. It kinda feels bad.

But once maybe more types of farms become available, this could fix the problem if those animals have different ratios of meat/pelts/tallow. I hope a pig farm for higher tallow production will be a thing in the future :slight_smile:

My current map in the Pacific has a capacity of 2,288 people, I keep food, I have some surplus, the game is beautiful, it is true that drunks kill people, but it is something that occurs in the Middle Ages

1 Like

If sheep are added to the game, it would be pretty cool to see Wool as a Pelts substitute.

Unfortunately, it’s only partial substitute. For example, while wool obviously can be used to make heavy outer clothing, unless you make quilted or padded garments you aren’t getting the protection of a good leather or hide coat (“buff coat”) . Sheep leather is also not suitable for making Shields - in fact, the English/Anglo-Saxon Fyrd were prohibited from showing up to muster with anything other than a wood or cow leather shield - sheep leather was simply too thin to protect you.

A better substitute value for Wool would be the linen clothing: wool was regularly woven into outer cloaks, coats, leggings, and other clothing, especially in central and northern Europe which matches the game’s general biome.

Additionally, for something New, wool can be woven into rugs or tapestries (wall hangings) which were a definite High Tier accessory to Medieval homes: a Tier 5 Luxury Good, perhaps?

1 Like

Im enjoying the religious addition, nice way to add some custom flair.

Maybe im alone, but additional terra-forming tools would be a welcomed addition.
Like direct up or down, so we dont have to “drag” the low points to get our raised cliffs.

I agree sooo much !

I love playing in mountain maps, but it seems like the building system is currently mainly made for flat cities. Using the current flattening system to build in mountains offen yields …strange (and sometimes ugly) shapes of the ground.

On top of enhancing the terraforming system with, for example, the possibility of designing slopes, I would suggest a new building : stairs !

6 Likes

Yes! Stairs! That would solve the steep slope issues and make it look better too!

1 Like

The new functionality is great! But not all of the mentioned additions is implemented yet in 0.9 it seems? When is the rest comming?

In a later patch or patches of course.

2 Likes

Of course, but do we know when?

Nope, not until Zantai puts the next changelog into the Public Testing Discussion section of the forum.

1 Like

Yes, tomorrow.
Note: tomorrow never comes.
:crazy_face: