The State of Early Access - Update #04

Farthest Frontier’s Early Access has been a tremendous success so far. Nearly one million of you have now ventured into the Frontier and braved its challenges. Your feedback has helped shape the game and your bug reports have been invaluable in tracking down some tough to reproduce issues. But now, with v0.8.3 in your hands and those bottomless resources at your disposal, we think it is a good time to talk about Farthest Frontier’s journey out of Early Access.

We have been busily gathering the community’s input and requests, seeing how they meshed with our own vision for the game as we plotted our course towards v1.0. Today, we are ready to share many of the myriad of major additions we are planning for Farthest Frontier up to its full release. These new systems and mechanics will not only flesh out the endgame but make each playthrough feel more distinct, offering new approaches and playstyles as you refine your ideal strategy for your settlements.

Coming up next, we are bumping the version number right up to v0.9.0. This is not merely a symbolic increment as the next update is going to carry quite a bit of heft. So let us dive in!

Note: everything you read here is a preview and is subject to change before release. This is not an all-encompassing list of every feature in the works. Nothing is set in stone, until it is!

Table of Contents

Spirituality

Religion has been a contentious topic in the community, inspiring some rather heated comments on both sides of the argument. Back in our first State of Early Access post, we vowed to make the addition of spiritual buildings another fun and engaging mechanic rather than something thrown in just to check a box on people’s lists. With v0.9.0, we are delivering on that promise.

With Farthest Frontier’s religion system, you will fulfill your people’s spiritual needs by designing your own faith through the use of relics. Relics are ancient objects that inspire reverence. Some were items once owned by historic individuals. Others are remnants from old legends, rumored to still carry a divine spark. Regardless of their origins, each relic features its own set of perks to bolster your town. By collecting and combining these relics in your settlement’s temple, you will generate a religion for your people (if you dislike the name generated by your relic choices, you can always set a custom name).

Relics come in many forms, bolstering everything from your people’s health, to your harvests, and even the prowess of your soldiers. One relic is rumored to increase the aggression of the wildlife and raiders. That one is probably not for the faint of heart though, but it sure sounds Achievable. :wink:

ICN_Relic_AntlersOfTheGreatSpirit01_256 ICN_Relic_MarkoviansBlade01_256 ICN_Relic_Treasure01_256

Your main source of relics will be through excavating ancient ruins. Your villagers will have to brave the wilderness in order to discover what remains inside. Be aware though: all this activity can also attract raiders! ruins will be generated when you start a new map, but existing towns can still interact with the relic mechanic by purchasing relics from traveling merchants, or as occasional loot from raiders.

If you like the aesthetic of the ruins, do not fret. Excavating them leaves behind a harvestable version you can preserve for your people, or tear down for stone.

Back to Table of Contents

Combat Updates

Unless you are into the pacifist playstyle, combat plays an important role in surviving in the frontier. We want to build upon the existing foundation and bring you MOAR.

You can expect new raider types, including catapults that will quickly put an end to passive defenses and those beefy triple wall stacks. But with new threats come new ways to defend yourself. Construct new towers to bring the pain back to the invaders. Recruit new soldiers, including the ability to specialize into ranged-only archers. Take out those new catapults with your new horsemen.

Er, wait…wrong one…

All of this will come with a new controls for deploying your troops and a new way to manage your army through the Town Center, including the ability to recruit soldiers before you build a barracks in order to have them patrol your city. This presents an alternative way to defend your town early on without resorting to static towers. No more having your soldiers turn back into civilians as soon as their barracks is destroyed!

In addition, exploring the wilderness will become ever more dangerous as you will discover that raiders have settled down permanently in raider camps. Clear these out to claim some loot of your own. It is only fair!

Paper Industry

With v0.9.0, you will have the option of developing a new industry in your town. Turn your flax into paper at the paper mill, then have the book binders turn those into books, a new luxury item for your tier 4 homes. Build a Library in your settlement as a new source of entertainment, as long as you keep it stocked with reading material.

Guild Halls

All that pristine paper demands some quality bureaucracy. With v0.9.0, you will be able to construct a Guild Hall. The guild hall will be an endgame building that consumes paper to boost one of your industries. Which industry is afected will be up to you but, with a limit of one guild hall, the choice will be consequential for the future of your settlement.

Crypts

With v0.8.3, trade and natural resources can sustain your towns virtually indefinitely, but there is one aspect of the game that will eventually run out: space to bury the dead. If you have ever looked at your graveyards closely, you will see that they paint a picture of the progress your people have made, with the earlier grave markers being much less elaborate than ones you see after your settlement has developed. But they take up a lot space. Crypts will allow you to give your people the respect of a proper burial while taking up a much smaller footprint.

New Animals

Moooo

Cows are great and all, but a thriving frontier deserves MOAR. In early access, we plan on adding chickens, horses, and goats to diversify your options.

Achievements

Achievement hunters out there can relax. Farthest Frontier will be shipping with an array of achievements so you can flax, I mean flex on your profile! You can expect Steam Trading Cards to go online in the future as well.

ICN_Relic_ArkOfVengefulDead01_256

Mod Support

We genuinely appreciate the time and effort players put into modifying our games and making them your own. Games are entertainment and if making some changes makes them more entertaining for you, all the better. Grim Dawn has some fantastic modifications and we hope Farthest Frontier will too.

As such, we plan on formally supporting mods in the near future. What form that will take is something we are still reviewing, but Steam Workshop support is definitely high on the list.

Optimization and Bug Fixes

It probably goes without saying that bug fixes and optimization are our top priorities. Every update has included some degree of both and we have no plans of stopping on the way to v1.0. In fact, we have a programmer on the team who is dedicated solely to improving the game’s performance when he’s not addressing the occasional bug report. You can expect every update to include additional improvements.

Quality of Life

As with optimization, we are always on the lookout for opportunities to improve the way you play the game. In the past, this has included things such as automation for the compost yards, improved planting options for arborists and of course an automated way to regrow trees with the tier 2 Work Camps.

Here is a list of some of the improvements we have planned:

• Storage Transfers/Limits: ways to not only transfer resources between storage but also set limits on how much of a resource you wish to store in a particular building at a minimum/maximum.
  • Raider info: select raider units to learn more about them and their stats.
  • Crop Summary: view all of your Crop Fields in one convenient list to better plan your crop rotations.
  • Notifications and Immigration Quest History: if you miss/forgot what happened, you can view a record of recent events.
  • MOAR

When is the Next Update?

V0.9.0 is in playtest right now! To learn more about public playtests, you can read the FAQ (note: this requires registration on the forum).

When is 1.0?

In our continued efforts to bring you MOAR, early access will go beyond our original estimate of 1 year. We want to deliver a quality product that we are proud of, one you will not only enjoy playing but can be proud of supporting. At this time, we estimate Early Access to last 5-8 more months.

What we have previewed today is not an all-encompassing list of what we have in store, and v1.0 is by no means the end of development. In a way, v1.0 is only the beginning of the journey, a foundation. We plan to support Farthest Frontier with content updates and expansions. Where the game will go next will be based in part on what you want to see!

Town Showcase

Some of our recent favorites, from the internet for the internet:

By bulle

By sumpfink

By Guilte

Share your best right here on our forum!

29 Likes

Still wanting a casual walking animation. Villager’s running everywhere is just weird. Felt that way since the get go :frowning:

None the less amazing update. So glad to hear more content/possible expansions!!

7 Likes

good job, I really like new buildings, but I miss church, as building. It could be nice mechanic to keep order in town otherwise villigarers would be drunk and steal things.

1 Like

Good read. Probably the best SoEA so far and I like where it is heading.

4 Likes

Still hoping 1.1 (doesn’t have to be right at 1.0…) will be hitting GOG. I’d hate to miss out on this title!

I want that horseman.

3 Likes

YES YES YES!! All that feedback was beyond heard!!! Thank you for all these updates and additions!!

3 Likes

Wow! You guys really delivered with this one. Nice job.

6 Likes

i wanna play v9.0 now. It looks interesting.

2 Likes

When is the release date for this update 0.9, i know theres a play tester but i watched the stream and i didnt really hear him say whens the release date… Anybody knows?

1 Like

That was MOAR with a mic drop!

3 Likes

Oh Holy! Awesome updates! please keep the good work!
So exited about upcoming features, that I gifted this game to a friend!

1 Like

It was released immediately after the 2 hour Twitch Stream ended. I was playing it within an hour!

Good!but i want to plant berries、hawthorn、mushroom、nuts、willow bush、herbs、mediciral roots。and i want to have bridges、ships,dig land to lake、Fill lake to land。we need!

5 Likes

You can join in the playtesting of the patch right now. Go down to Public Playtest Discussion section and see the FAQ there to take part.

No, because until they get everything into the patch they want, sort out any bugs that get reported, etc, it simply won’t be ready for full release.

The way religion ended up being implemented is brilliant.

The library and the guildhall both look VERY nice, but does it seem a little bit… too nice? Maybe it will fit well with the next level of housing yet to be revealed…

Starting modding support with decoration is perfect. I desperately need more varied decoration choices.

Overall what an exciting update - I’m taking a day off work tomorrow for the playtest :smiley:

2 Likes

Who said it hadn’t been revealed yet. This from July last year. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Haha yes I remember. I should have said “yet to be revealed in more detail” LOL

But I am so looking forward to tier 5.

So much of this looks wonderful doubly sad that this is ultimately a big disappointment for me. I realize that these spiritual (or magic?) innovations are what most people want but they are the opposite of the developments I was hoping for.
What I have liked about FF is that it creates a believable albeit picturesque world premised on rational mechanics and logical consequences. The absence of any kind of fantasy advantages or hindrances is precisely what has made the game work for me.
Relying on ‘magic’ relics for city development seems to me to be part of a different game not the FF that gives so much attention to the rational e.g., the manipulation of crop rotations and balancing of competing production needs and population demands. This new spirituality mechanism stops me being convinced that this FF world is coherent and credible, my belief is suspended, game over.
I had really hoped for an expansion of production and defense options via the acquisition of knowledge and some early technology not via creating a religion. I have nothing against including religion in the game but I would prefer to see it do what it actually did in medieval society which was not to actually improve harvests etc. even if it claimed it could.
Sorry to rain on this parade, I really have had a load of enjoyment from the game already so thats good.

5 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Where’s the code for Farthest Playtesting?