The vision behind FoA

I should have been more clear that I didn’t mean this forum specifically because I think you’re right that most of the frequent posters here have thousands of hours between them and are coming from a perspective of passion and competitiveness. I was responding to the part of Z’s post talking about the sense of heightened emotions everywhere and people taking any opportunity to lash out.

That said, to me it is not wild at all to consider it as a factor of bad forum behavior (again, not directed at any regulars here). Heck… Gears of War: E-Day just released today. Another long time franchise I happen to enjoy periodically. Go take a peek at that game’s Steam forum front page. Multiple topics whining about [insert buzzword]. And that’s just one game.

Believe me, I’m glad we don’t have that type of hot ass mess over here but my point was that whether we like it or not, people do have this stuff on their minds and real-world issues (cost of living, wages, health care, etc) can absolutely be a factor in people to lashing out irrationally.

1 Like

Which is why the FAQ says:

“This is a game forum and when you’re here, you are a just a gamer, everything else is irrelevant. We don’t want to hear your thoughts on someone else’s race, gender, sexuality, religion, political affiliation, etc.”

5 Likes

It’s almost like most online forums used to have a clear ‘No politics, No religion’ moderation policy for a reason!

I think people seem to assume Crate have a whole design department coming up with grand theories and strategies for how the game should evolve, instead of a small team of people that enjoy making their game and are trying to make it better.

Unfortunately they liked the ARPG genre, which comes with very strong opinions about HOW THINGS SHOULD WORK. It’s great, but also tricky.

2 Likes

I do have education. Stress EDUCATION and not INDOCTRINATION. Big Difference.

When the entire political and other discourse prevalent today is about PERCEIVED VICTIMHOOD it is very simple with my education to come to the conclusion that EVERYONE – WHETHER DESERVED OR NOT – FEELS LIKE THEY ARE A VICTIM. Entire political parties world wide exist because of this. Argument goes something like this — ‘Whether you know it or not you are a victim and you are exploited and put down all over the place. And WE have the answer. Vote for us and we will fix your life. Simple.’ The more people that they can convince that they are indeed victims the more success they have.

But my college + level of education shows me through years of observation that this just isn’t true. Sure there are victims – always will be with imperfect creatures such as ourselves. But anybody selling snake oil to the effect that the answer is just around the corner if you put them in charge are charlatans. And I stand by my statement that glorifying (perceived) victimhood leads to a lot of the extreme discourse prevalent today. People inherently want to be treated fairly and if you convince them that they are not then they WILL lash out.

I really appreciate you specifically helping me a year ago when I was having problems with my new computer and the mouse commands not registering in GD. In this case we can agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Never knew you just need a university level education to stop making sweeping irrational generalisations, but there you go!

I don’t have that university education, but even supposedly dumb old me can see this thread heading down the dark path of politics and perhaps we should avoid that and stick to the topic…

Indeed. Leave politics at home, this is a gaming forum.

8 Likes

I have requested the thread to be locked. The OP asked for the vision behind FoA. Zantai answered the question. And now people are jumping on Zantai’s “things feel shitty most of the time” to make the thread about themselves and their grand theories on how things should be run.

I’ve read through the mixed reviews of FoA on Steam. Basically all of the negative reviews are some variations of either “evade and sunder have ruined the game forever” or “my builds have been nerfed because of GDStashers and the so-called meta.” It has nothing to do with… anything that the last 50 posts claim it is.

4 Likes

This thread is getting weird, guys…

11 Likes

I was about to do the same, actually. Thanks to Zantai again for the insight, thanks to everyone making constructive contributions, I think we can bring this conversation to a close. If any moderator would do me the favour and lock this thread, I would much appreciate it.

3 Likes