Theorycrafting an Elemental Cadence Battlemage

Hi guys, ever since the new update, I see Malakor being used in mostly just Inquisitor builds due to the ridiculous RR. I’m just wondering if this weapon can be used anywhere else, cause idk if this is just me but I feel like ANY builds being made at the moment, there will always be “hey, why don’t you try that with Inquisitor” type of reaction. And yes, Inquisitor builds always rise to be on top due to Seal and Censure being mega op.

Malakor has skill bonus to 4 different classes. I’m trying to see if I can make an elemental build without the Seal and the Censure. And speaking of elemental, Cadence - Discord change was reverted, so I just have a try on an elemental Battlemage:

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/aZqRYX6N

I am certainly not surprised that the build is suboptimal. but what do you guys think

Edited build:

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/dVbJ398V

Yeah, that’s the reaction… It’s Malakor without the -75% rr.

But if you insist, lower mirror and squad tactics to softcap, max Iskandra, get nullification. Drop Harp, maybe Phoenix, get rumor, witchblade.

That’s like a very budget and very suboptimal version of my Malakor’s Tactician. You didn’t even take Ultos, so all you have is 10% RR. It’s not gonna work well, I am afraid.

10%?

He does have elemental storm :stuck_out_tongue:

Which is bound to OFF in a non-Mageslayer build, so it might as well not count. :stuck_out_tongue: Personally, if you’re definitely wanting to stick with the devotions you’ve got (though as others have said, some changes would be good), I’d:

Bind Elemental Seekers to Cadence - it’s gonna be your main attack skill, so having something with a short cooldown will allow you to get a ton of them out there quickly.

Bind Elemental Storm to Blitz for 85% activation chance, or put a point in both Callidor’s Tempest and Wrath of Agrivix for 100%. That’ll let you get the RR out when you need it.

Bind Phoenix Fire to Ravager’s Deathgaze. I’m not 100% sure on the mechanics, so somebody correct me if I’m wrong, but any crit from any attack upon a Deathgazed enemy will trigger Phoenix Fire, so you can technically still use Cadence to trigger it.

No, that’s not how it works. Deathgaze is the attack, your idea about how it works is hilariously wrong :stuck_out_tongue:

I know that Deathgaze is the attack. :rolleyes:

I just noticed that in comparison to “just using Deathgaze by itself”, “using Deathgaze and then throwing a bunch of other attacks at the enemy/target dummy” seemed to proc Phoenix Fire a lot more, and it wasn’t simply a case of certain attacks lowering enemy DA enough for there to be a difference. Figured there might have been some kind of additional effect/bug that happens when you link Deathgaze to Phoenix Fire. Wouldn’t be the first time that linking specific attacks to specific devotions made for some weird bugs. I remember one once where using Acid Spray in a particular way (maybe with Kalastor? Or something to do with Aether Crystal enemies? It’s been a while) simultaniously broke every breakable object in Necropolis. :eek:

But yeah, I ain’t sure. I’ll do more testing when I have some more time, try it out on a bunch of different enemies.

Maybe a stupid question but why is the activation chance changing? I thought the activation chance for every devotion proc is a fix number. So in this case 25% so 1/4 Blitz will activate it?

Attacks with a higher cooldown have higher activation chances. :slight_smile: Note that it’s the base cooldown that matters - the activation chance won’t suddenly drop if you stack a ton of cooldown reduction (either via general stats or item skill modifiers).

That said, there are a few exceptions - skills with a longish cooldown that deal damage every second (such as Siphon Souls) will generally have lower activation chances, presumably to balance out the fact that it’s capable of triggering the devotion ability (cooldown permitting) every second.

Ah, interesting, thanks for explaining. I figured something like that but then I switched the devotion binding to Blitz but the activation chance in Grimtools didn’t change. Is it being displayed in the game? Or where do I find that kind of information?

Yeah, seems like that might just be a Grimtools issue. The %chance does change in-game.

Okay, thanks :slight_smile:

game. gt is great but not perfect. I think all proc chances are displayed as if bound to spams.

Many thanks to the feedback!!

So I am aware of the subpar RR, so I added Viper instead of Ultos cause it’s pretty hard to ditch my beloved Harp and I think Seeker is super cool.

If this doesn’t go well it might not be a bad idea to just take all the RR like Arcane Bomb, Elemental Storm, Witchblade, Rumor and not have any tier 3.

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/dVbJ398V

This is my current setup with 2 floating devotion points left. All the RRs include: Elemental Storm, Ravager Deathgaze, Viper and maybe OFF

Would elemental seekers even be worth it on this build? Seeing as you don’t have any good skill to actually proc them like you would on an inquisitor

Cadence ain’t so bad, surely?

Granted, it’s no Word of Pain, but if you can keep up your attacks and quickly Blitz between enemies when needed, those Seekers should still be spawning pretty rapidly.

…if OP doesn’t mind binding Phoenix Fire elsewhere, that is. There aren’t many other good options (especially since that Deathgaze theory I had seems to be disproving itself now that RNG has stopped fucking up my testing and suggesting false results), but having it on Cadence seems kind of a waste. Personally, I’d just scrap Phoenix Fire and find a way to stick a bunch of points in War Cry instead for some %reduced damage, but that’s just me.