Thoughts on devotion setup (Cold caster Reaper)

Hello, I’m returning to the game after a hiatus of 2 years, and after looking around in my inventory, I thought the Chillwhisper set looked interesting to build around, with me having 2 pieces of it. This is only my second fully theorycrafted own build though, and I’d like some help on the devotion setup.

I thought the core constellations would be Murmur, Amatok and Leviathan, as the plan is to start hybrid Vit+Cold, but transition into mostly cold come endgame. Right now I’ve 2 general approaches, getting to the 3 constellations above in different ways:

chariot route: Reaper, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.6) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator
scythe route: Reaper, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.6) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

I’m not completely sure about either one, for example, I like the Scythe one, but I’d like to drop the Hammer and also take Crab, but then I can’t take the big Cold damage bonus star in Leviathan.

TLDR: Any thoughts on which setup (link above) you think is best, or whether I should do something else entirely?

These are good devos. For Cold builds you can always make many good devotions and I don’t think there are clear winners and it’s more dependent on your needs / content and details of the build.

In the Chariot one I don’t think Behemoth is worth it tbh as DE excels at healing you.

In the 2nd one I think I’d modify it slightly to take Harp instead of Scythe. And maybe add either Chariot or Crab for yet another proc.

@Zwijger I’ve found my SSF character: Reaper, Level 71 (GD 1.1.9.1) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator
As you can see I have both Harp and Scythe and also Chariot
With Scythe + Harp you have infinite Energy and Chariot together with Throne gives nice stats.
Obviously Wraith can be taken instead of Scythe and then 2 free Leviathan nodes for a bit more damage.

But if you prefer Crab then go for it. I’m currently playing a different char with :crab: planned.
Actually with both :crab: and :turtle:. @Crab_Turtle_2112

Btw if you want, you can go to Forgotten Gods in Normal / Veteran very early and get Belt + Shoulders for nearly full Vit → Cold
I still have PTSD from crafting Nemesis relic in SSF circumstances. And from not being able to destroy crates and other junk with DE.

Here are also 2 builds by banana_peel and mad_lee who use different devos. They are very performance oriented:

The Behemoth was purely because I had points left, didn’t really know what else to put it in. I agree with what you’re saying though, more regen is probably not the best.

I made more possible pages based on what you sent me and what I discovered:

Reaper, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.6) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator (Crab Lantern Scythe)

Reaper, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.6) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator (Crab Harp Scythe)
Reaper, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.6) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

Reaper, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.6) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator (Crab Harp Lantern)

Reaper, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.6) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator (Chariot Harp Scythe)

Reaper, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.6) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator (One inspired by you picking Turtle)

Reaper, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.6) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator (Chariot Harp Lantern)

Reaper, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.6) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator (Chariot Lantern Scythe)

It turns out that out of these 5; Crab, Harp, Scythe, Chariot and Lantern, you can at best get 3. That’s of course assuming what I assumed above, always wanting Murmur, Amatok and at least 5 points in Leviathan [Edit: I also always went :crown:]. I also found no way to get both Chariot and Crab + 1 of the others,
If you want stronger tier 1 Constellations (like :turtle: as you are planning) I think you might even have to settle for 2 out of those 5, but then you can put a powerful 6th star into Leviathan, so it might average out to being around as powerful.
Edit (well, I wrote the above before I saw your Wraith instead of Scythe remark) yeah it also works the other way around, you can pick more points into Leviathan by dropping a tier 2 for a tier 1 like the Widow, I personally found this out by reshuffling the Lantern for the Lotus in one variant, which is the way I got Crab, Harp and Scythe together.

Thanks for the help, and in general giving me somethings to think about when thinking for myself. Also, lmao this turned into me playing around with grimtools for multiple hours.

Yes I always take these. Sometimes players take Ultos / Chain Lightning instead especially with Lightning → Cold but not only but it looks bad and :cyclone: looks awesome.

I’ll try :wink:

GT is the real game. Grim Dawn is DLC for Grim Tools. Everyone knows that. I used to spent multiple hours in Grim Tools just on devotions… For one build. Or hours making illusions :wink: (see Fashion Dawn).

1 Like

The second build you sent me, in the second comment, is basically what I plan on the build looking like too, and he went something completely different than anything I did: going Wendigo and Ultos, which makes complete sense when starting hybrid and converting vit to frost as you go, and I didn’t even realize. Blows my mind how much that two constellations I have used in a Vit Summoner, and an Evoker of Elgoloth Vindicator respectively, could both just fit into a cold caster too, you can do so much with this game. Though I’m just gonna pick one of my own setups and try that now

Honestly agreed. However, as much as GT clicking is fun, I do think it’s finally time to boot up the game and just try one of the setups I’ve cooked up.

1 Like

Yeah, I used Scales of Ulcama on my recent Cold Caster

@Zwijger you can make

• Lantern + Crab + Chariot + Scythe

• Crab + Harp + Chariot

if you take partial Amatok, just the proc

Sweet, yeah I already thought finishing Amatok (as well as Crown) offer so little points back it’s not necessarily worth finishing them if you really want points elsewhere, for the same reason you don’t have to finish of the tier 3 constellations like Ultos and Leviathan.

I also found the one without Chariot or Crab, so Harp+Lantern+Scythe. Considering that’s the ultimate dumb glass cannon one, as it lacks the 2 defensive procs, and it also allows 6/7 (Owl/Throne+Spider) or 7/7 (Quill+Falcon) into Leviathan :upside_down_face: I think I have found the first one I’m going to run :upside_down_face: