Thoughts on the new Crucible

Yeah, except that Wave 160 is harder than 150 is on the next difficult higher. So going on is not just a step up, but a huge flight beyond the previous waves.

It actually is when you think about it, in main campaign Act IV -> V is a difficulty spike. So Base game Crucible -> AoM crucible is a difficulty spike. Looks fine to me

In time people should be able to adapt to these new waves as well just as how people got used to AoM’s difficulty spike

Sure they did. you nerfed the tribute reward for wave 150. you realize farming 130 to 150 was only possible because of the tribute rewards. i’m fine with it being less tribute rewarded, but you should lower the cost of resetting, maybe 5, 10, 15 instead of 5, 15, 30.

What I think has happened is that the bonus for finishing the last wave was moved to 170, making 150 just an ordinary reward in line with every 10 wave reward.

Hard disagree. I’m so sick of the difficulty fetishists demanding the game get harder to the point where no one can fucking play any of the content that gets released without being one of three builds, all of which are nearly identical, and are based around spending 80% of the game running in circles or rotating temp buffs. If that’s your play style, fine, but don’t force it on me because it’s boring as shit.

If you want the game to be so difficult that only you can beat it, make a mod and bugger off. Go play the Souls games. Maybe even go outside once you’ve beaten the content that is so easy you finished it 12 seconds after it was released. Just stop making it miserable for everyone else because nothing tells me & mine to uninstall and turn potential new players away from buying than saying “yeah you basically have to have X class with Y skills and Z gear or else you can’t even try endgame content.”

Nope, no change.

Previously wave 150 would automatically trigger the End reward. That total reward is the same as before if you choose to stop at wave 150.

It’s funny how my pimped out (min-maxed mythicals, millions spent on AoM components, some sick greens) characters that used to beat previous iteration of Crucible with ease and now they just get their shit kicked in. Well, wave 160 is not too bad for my melee Druid, by my CT sorc is probably gonna have hard time there, and my conjurer struggles too. Not even gonna try 2h ranged Vindicator, lol.

And yet I did it with Steam friend who got a Rune Spammer Magehunter in literally rags and it can solo new waves with ease. Non Arcanist classes are going to have a hard time I am thinking.

Also, what is going to happen on Extra Spawn? There was literally nothing to run at some point at normal spawn already.

I’ll tell you what I’ll do; I’m not going to play past 150 until it’s rebalanced.

Right now it caters to very very specific builds. But it does not feel like bullshit when you just don’t want to do it anymore (like Ravager fight), it’s just a very humbling experience.

I agree with both points. I guess we will see how many builds make it. The crucible was challenging before but there were 30+ builds that could do it.

When I was faced with 2 Kubacabra’s and Zantarin (have to stay in melee or dodge his shotgun attacks), along with another big nasty boss thrown into the mix. I just gave up after 5 mins of fighting. You can’t dodge Zantarin’s shotguns, and both Kubracabra’s bleed pools, and their breaths and manage to do damage to them. That was on Challenger wave 160, with a character that handles Gladiator 150 just fine.

If that was Gladiator 160, I would have felt humbled, but Challenger, with a Gladiator character, that was bullshit if you ask me.

Link your build, man

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/lNk1nQBV

It’s not a glamorous build. It is my first shield build ever, and didn’t turn out quite how I expected, but the character is a tank. The problem isn’t that she took too much damage, it’s that the Kubra’s force you to kite in order to not let them heal, and with 2, the whole battlefield was covered in bleed. Mixed into that, you have Zantarin who can shotgun you, and the battlefield had only 4 pillars which you could stand out of their line of sight.

It was an exercise of futility. After 5 mins, I just stood there and let them kill me. I had enough of that. Though to be fair, I did get one Kubra down 25% health, but with 3 massive beasts all running in circles around me, as they ran at mach 5, it was hard to even keep track of which one I was after.

Edit: I’m working on a Blademaster which will have Blitz and Shadow Strike to possibly kill a bit faster and kite better. I haven’t decided on whether to go shield or dual wield. At level 80, she’s dual wielding, and killing fast, but I feel a bit naked now that I’ve played with a shield.

I am no s&b expert but shouldn’t you choose like one set and stick with it? Like Octavius or Warborn or Markovian? Or have you just not found all items yet (or maybe you are playing self-found)? S&B experts here will surely guide you into right directions.

I don’t have a full set of anything, I have at best 2 from any soldier set. The only set I have completed for level 94 is for Necro pet builds and I don’t play pet builds. I’ve pieced together a solid setup without a set.

Anyway, the problem isn’t survivability. It’s simply a crappy encounter. You get 2 high HP, highly life leaching nemesis together, with another dangerous nemesis shooting waves of bolts at you, with another boss mixed in.

As everyone who has commented on the new waves, wave 160 is harder than 150 on the next difficulty up. That’s just too much of a step up for 10 more waves.

So IOW if you cash out at 150 you get the same tribute reward as before. But if you continue to 151 you’ll have less from 150 bc you have not cashed out yet.

Personally I like it, tho they (probably) pigeonholed builds that can do it to casters and hybrids (Im talking w/o buffs and banners, didnt tried new cruci with buffs and banners) and made it next to impossible for melee, but at least its challenging enough.
Also I have a feeling that they made it that hard on purpose to give some ultimate challenge to cruci comparable to celestial fights in main game.

Even with buffs and banners, melee will still have it very tough because there’s a lot of slows than it used to be. And Kupa being kupa healing everyone in the pools. Even non-arcanist casters (i think, haven’t tried them yet) will struggle even getting to 170 because nullification and mirror has become so important. Hell, I even put Nullification at 10/10 and then specced to Hourglass on a BWC Sorc to make it comfortable for me to make a run.

Also (this is for Zantai), I don’t know if I got short term memory loss but I started at 150 with 100 tributes, spent 61 (3 buffs x 12 + 25 for 150 start) so I had 39 tributes remaining when I started. After I cleared wave 170, my tributes went up to 70, for a total of 31 tribute increase. Is this intentional? Cause this means that Crucible isn’t an efficient farming route anymore, which I’m totally fine about.

It’s always been double buff (+ banner) for sustainable farming.

If you go triple buff + skip to 150, starting with 100 tributes

end of first run: 70 tributes
spend 5 to reset
end of second: 96
spend 15 to reset
end of third: 100 (12 overflow)
spend 30 to reset
end of fourth: 100 (1 overflow)

so you can spend 49 on buffs and break even on tributes for a rotation of four resets (though if you don’t have buffs to make the third reset you could just reload and save 5 tributes making this 48 worth of buffs over three runs). Depends on how fast clear speeds are. As ever slow clearing builds aren’t optimal.

I don’t like it.