Time to make all the rest of 4-piece set to support 3 masteries

GD is nearing full completion, and that being said, I think it’s time to make the itemization more consistent. It’s clear from all the new set introduced, most of them support 3 masteries. As the third expansion is not most likely happening and ever more so for the 10th mastery, I would like to propose for revamping all the remaining 2-class supporting 4-piece set to support 3-class instead.

BTW, I am not proposing any change to 4 piece set that is not including armor though. Obviously some of my suggestions might not be good, so need you guys to chime in more to give crate more ideas. Let’s go one by one:

Allagast Masterpiece
Storm box part of it is perfect, can be made into lightning build or aether build. TSS is not so much. @Pareto may scream at me, but I am still thinking that this should support aether/lightning devastation instead with some flat CDR :stuck_out_tongue:.
This set can support aether lightning stun jack which convert the physical in stun jack to aether. It should support either the spam version or CD version.

Belgothian’s Slaughter
I would say that this set should also support inquisitor :stuck_out_tongue: , specifically inquisitor seal, but it will be too strong and not really fit to the current thematic set. The set should support another wps. Necrotic edge come to mind, but necromancer will have a really hard time supporting pierce.

The Blood Knight
The set is decent, but honestly it needs more RR. the deathknight side is really slow because vitality need a lot of RR. So the set obviously need more RR. To be more fair to soldier, this set should support another mastery without vitality RR too. I propose this to support vitality blade spirit or Ring of Steel. Both thematic with quite significant bleed in their damage. I vote for blade spirit though, as blade spirit support in demonslayer will need to be moved here to be more consistent. :wink:

Dagallon’s Destruction
Honestly, just removed that deadly aim mod, it’s useless. This should either support lightning/fire Righteous fervor or savagery. Savagery will be easier because shaman already got the RR.

Dark one’s Gift
Will be changed at 1.0.4.0 by also giving mod to wendigo totem. Just one more suggestion, pelase give some more damaging mod to ravenous earth please…

Darkblaze Garb
To have a similar playstyle, this set should also support Inquisitor’s word of pain. Give also modifier to word of renewal converting pierce to chaos while you’re at it, and it will be the best chaos set ever defeating rah’zin.

Deathguard
The set is honestly is a mess. Only the dagger is the best part of it. RR is much needed, more stats are needed. I really don’t know what to do with this set. Need some more ppl to chime in.

Diviner’s Vision
This set is complicated, the reap spirit part of the set is relevant and have become quite a strong pet set. Devastation part is not, the useless modifier in its offhand need to go. I honestly don’t know what will be the other third mastery that are thematic, not many mastery supporting aether. I am thinking for it to support oathkeeper’s judgment, but cannot really imagine if it can be good.

Ghol’s Malice
One of the most powerful pet set. I think this set should also support acid hellhound. Need more pet player to chime in.

Korba’s Fury
Cold Righteous Fervor here we go!!! Already in conduit though, so just give RF some more WD maybe. and give some cold RR to GoE while you’re at it… :stuck_out_tongue:

Shepherd of Lost Souls
Another pet set. Maybe give it a vitality briarthorn modifier? Need more pet player to chime in.

Nature’s Call Regalia
Also one of the most powerful pet set. This is an earlier set that also not consistent with current set. It’s already pretty fine though. Need pet player to chime in to make this set more thematic and consistent.

Demonslayer’s Armament
PB is good, spam PB is best. Consistently yield crazy cruci record but never been nerfed. It’s got buffed even. I guess Z really like this skill also :stuck_out_tongue:. Recently, Madlee also showed that it can even work flawlessly with less than 100% vitality RR. The skill is just so powerful.
So like I suggest before, move vitality blade spirit support to blood knight. This should support occultist and necromancer. I suggest occultist to support vitality doom bolt. On Necromancer side, reap spirit? Spectral binding?

The Infernal’s Champion
BWC side is good, judgment idk, but johnsmith has made a good shieldbreaker out of it, don’t like the chaos part of it though. Thermite mine will be good in 1.0.4.0, so it might be better to move thermite mine support to others, vanquisher come to mind. Other class to support is obviously Inquisitor. I want it to give even more mod to censure but I will be stoned for it, so I suggest to make fire/chaos rune of kalastor.

Trozan’s Skybreach
Will be change in 1.0.4.0 supporting cold/lightning sigil of consumption and I am so excited for it!

Valdun’s Betrayal
I think this set is also not in a good place. Ranged pierce and even worse 2H ranged pierce have never been in a spotlight. Cadence just doesn’t have any synergy to 2H wps, and even worse, the rifle is not giving 100% armor piercing. The WPS is neat though, but I think the whole skill bonus need to be revamped. I don’t know, need more people to chime in for this.

Warborn Bastion
One of the best physical set. Cadence part is good, EoR part is good. There’s a warcry mod on it, but I think just leave it in there, just take out +skill on it and replace it to something else. I am thinking physical bone harvest will be neat. Big fat WD fit really well with physical damage. Also fit well with that skull helmet.

The Spellscourge
What to do with this set?

The Vanquisher
Honestly I haven’t tried this set at all. X1X2’s skater build prove this set can be really interesting though. I suggest infernal Knight’s thermite mine to be moved to here. I think it can make shieldbreaker and sorcerer even better.

That’s about it. Please other chime in to give more ideas and maybe we can get some of this in the patch and get an awesome new set to play with.

1 Like

You missed infernal knight in this list)

Oh shoot, I forgot. I just remembered that it’s supporting 3 skills, but 2 from demo and 1 from oathkeeper. Will add it now

1 Like

Interesting list. It’s initiative for the future patches, cause GD life cycle is near the end and at some point final patch will be released.

• Spellscourge, probably Templar set,but it’s hard to create something not to be exploited by WL.

• Vanquisher, needs more burn support for CT to make CT Sorceress.

• Valdun, Idk. Maybe pierce Oathkeeper RF support?

• Korba, maybe cold bonus to Soldier. Cold Markovian’s advantage and crit damage to Cadence sounds nice, in order to challenge DM. And change bleeding of the weapons :angry:

• Deathguard, one of the worst sets. Acid RR to ILL Omen. Also more DA and OA to pieces

• Darkblaze, chaos Fire Strike Purifier is good idea

• Dark One, Mods to Storm Totem, to make vitality totems and RE, but Wendigo is nice, too.

While that’s something we review on older sets and implement where it makes sense, we do not want to shove skills onto older items just for the sake of a “standard”, especially if it’s going to bloat the item’s already packed tooltip.

It also has to actually create a viable and interesting playstyle, ideally one that isn’t already covered elsewhere.

3 Likes

I have added infernal knight suggestion and more vanquisher suggestion.

@neri: vitality storm totem has been supported by valguur and it’s in a good place. On vanquisher, I remember fluff said that he made a templar that can yield 500k burn ticks in dummy. I don’t remember He share the link though.

Perfectly understand. Some of this set is already fine even it’s not in current “standard”. However this kinda bug me out and I think I need to raise this up. I am not hoping all of these suggestions get incorporated to the game or all of this set can support 3 masteries, but I can hope that some of it get into the game and give us some more toys to play.

I’ve no problem with differences in taste: I’d rather Allagast retained TSS support and wouldn’t enjoy the gameplay of spammable Storm Box + Devastation (which I tried, I might add), but that’s about it. I also have no real opinion on triple mastery support, although it should be noted that Allagast isn’t exactly struggling to work outside of Mage Hunter and is already a better fit for three other masteries.

Nevertheless, I’d like to mention a few things with regard to your specific proposal:

1. Backwards-incompatible changes are galling for everyone but the anointed few who follow these forums closely.

I think existing builds should be broken only as a last resort, and even then, I’d rather pass the old set through a color filter to create a new one cheaply than change the ground beneath players’ feet. (I don’t mean “can’t do sub-6 minute Crucible anymore, ded build” broken, I mean “back to the drawing board and farming/trading gear” broken.)

1. Devastation already exists in plenty of flavors, less so TSS.

Devastation supports many conversions, and to my knowledge most of them work decently across masteries: aether/fire, pure aether, pure fire, fire/lightning, elemental, cold, aether/vitality.

TSS has less range: cold/lightning, pure cold, elemental (with some issues), aether/lightning (with plenty of issues). Oh, and acid.

Is this really the time to unmake a TSS set and be left with Skybreach, Spectral Bludgeon, and a single-mastery set that deals less TSS damage than Skybreach and is mostly driven by converted devotions?

1. Aether/lightning devastation could plausibly be made to work with a couple more sources of global fire to lightning conversion.

Then you could combine Allagast with Terrnox’s Aether Tome and Outcast Secret to have Devastation on a 8-9s CD.

My 2 cents on the pet sets:
Ghol doesn’t need Occultist support, it’s mainly a Blight Fiend set and it’s already incredibly strong on Cabalists. Nightblade or Oathkeeper might be interesting but given the history of hybrids it’s probably not worth the effort to try to make that meaningful.

Lost Souls/Diviner’s/Beastcaller’s
I’d love to see all of these have better support for Ritualists which have always been worst performing pet class.

Beastcaller’s is effectively Shaman with a few nearly irrelevant skill bonuses to Occultist (Hellhound and Bonds of Bysmiel). Blight Fiend bonuses or general pet bonus modifiers for necro skills would definitely be welcome. I’ve tried Beastcaller’s Ritualists before and really struggled.

Lost Souls and Diviner’s could both benefit from something Primal Spirit related, or passive Shaman skill modifiers that helper with either pet survival(resistances) or speed.

I’m not sure any of that makes sense in the grand scheme of things, but I’ve always wanted to see pet Ritualists do a little better.

Inquisitor on Belgothian would just make it the best option for the set. At the moment there’s some arguments you can do to use either Blademaster or Infiltrator, adding Inquisitor would just make the set bias to Infiltrator. Really don’t think this set needs to support anything else, because nothing else really fits with the set.

Plus Belgothian wasn’t known for being an infiltrator, he was actually the complete opposite. Charging mindlessly at enemies, with no regard for stealth.

Inquisitor, again, would make Darkblaze bias to Purifier, because of double chaos RR. Pyromancer already has barely anything, don’t take this from it.

Tbh, I am against including stuff just because. And I can’t really see much interesting stuff coming for pet sets without also making them overpowered or feel like another useless stat tacked on just for the sake of it.

Eg:

Hellhound support on Ghol’s Malice would also need to make Hellhounds viable enough first. Otherwise, it is just a waste of points.

Lost Souls without Occultist support, or to be precise Skeletons without Occultist support is just asking for suffering. Why anyone would want to do that, I don’t know.

Myth Beastcallers, I have no idea what to add to it without just making it a straight up buff, unnecessarily nerfing the base stuff just to that new stuff can be added, or trying to make it a hybrid set which needs Hybrid pet builds to be good first.

Spellscourge I disagree with. Battlemage needs unique to them stuff that warlords or templars can’t easily exploit three times better.

HEY!

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue:

When thermite mine has been fixed and there is proper support for fire DEE and Fire/Elemental Sigil, I’m sure that pyromancer can become one of the best caster.

@sigatrev @Maya: I very much like for a pet set to also support non-pet class like diviner, but I think it’s not an easy task designing such set. Hybrid pet haven’t really got a good representative compared to pure pet. Also, Lost souls supporting vitality primal spirit will be very interesting.

That’s a suggestion I once did, but then I realized it’s the same playstyle as Light’s Defender. And Sorc variant looked trash because Demo didn’t had aether RR back then.

No, it is already strong for inquisitor. It’ll just lead to Crate nerfing the set all around some time later, weakening it on Blademaster.

The problem of BK is it combines a strong skill from one mastery that has vit RR with weak skill of other mastery with zero RR capability. You can’t give it a crapload of RR on proc because a second class with RR will be preferable anyway. De facto BK is a single mastery Necromancer set.

I’d rather it kept being a Pyromancer set. There’s no logical basis under it.

Deathguard tries to do what BK is good for but with less RR and two-damage fluff, as for SS I heard it’s a rather weak skill in itself nowadays. Until the set is made work for Reaper I don’t think third mastery is needed.

Another set I’d rather remain to be two-mastery. Cold RF doesn’t ring it for me, esp. since it kinda works with DM anyway

Obviously? The set was most used on Sorcerer before FG though?
Honestly, Pyromancer. I don’t know how, but Pyromancer.

That’s an intriguing idea.

Shield spam forcewave with deciliters of horse hormones.
People would disagree with me, but I’d rather it be a battlemage exclusive.

I think Inquisitor fits the most theme-wide but it would be the same pitfall of making the set suit a class with better RR capability.

The rest of sets I’ve got no opinion about.

Deathguard just needs -XX% RR to a necro skill. The rest of its issues can be sourced back to the values innate to shadow strike. It’s already getting considerable flat damage, just comes up short on RR when played as reaper.

I’d like the Spellscourge to remain a pure Battlemage set but to get it buffed someway. Like adding a set proc (maybe with -% rr) or buffing 1h ba furthermore.

Allagast I’m fine with keeping TSS, so long as it ends up working well. If the TSS were to be replaced I’d want it done so with something completely new. Like lightning firestrike or something.

Belgothian is fine as it is. If it supported Inq in any meaningful way it’d probably outshine blademaster. I like the set as it is. Unless you want to try something like pierce savagery and purposefully make it a weaker side of the set.

Blood Knight could use a little improvement but I can’t say how so I won’t opine here.

Dagallon is already good but supporting Inq/Oathkeeper RF would be cool.

Dark One’s we wait and see how it turns out.

Darkblaze is stronger than it’s ever been already, with the class buffs and etc. I think people haven’t tested it in a while. It’s pretty decent now.

Deathguard has some probs but I haven’t tested it enough to give a thorough opinion there :/.

Diviner’s I wouldn’t want to see changed in any significant way, I want it to just work well for what it’s already trying to do.

Ghol’s is fine. Leave it be.

Korba I’d be worried that the RF Oathkeeper side would outshine the other sides but I would definitely not mind cold RF. If it was implemented softly.

Shepherd is basically fine. Let Sig and Maya decide. Same for Nature’s Call.

Nature’s Call is fine

Demonslayer will be fine next patch I bet

Infernal Champion, I dunno judgment needs support so I rather it just make sure its good with judgment

Trozan yup

Valdun is probably closer to fine than people think but it’s definitely not one of the top sets, but that’s okay. I worry if you give it something else it’ll just overshadow what it currently has. Pierce firestrike? I dunno.

Warborn is completely fine and needs no update.

Spellscourge is like 9min to 10min 30 second runs in Crucible from my tests. Honestly if the duration to devastation mod was just high enough that you can get permanent devastation the times would improve a lot, and devastation with %WD adds a lot of sustain. Again I think it’d be hard to add a third class that doesn’t just make new combos for the set that shit on battlemage.

Vanquisher is low-key OP so I rather it not get anything additional.

These are my opinions

I would. It’d be fire sigil of consumption bloody pox with some fire RR to boot.

I’m fairly new to the game, and from a newer player perspective i agree with the general thought. I chose a 2H melee tactician as my first char and it was kinda sad to see that some of mastery combos are fully suported by sets and some are kept on the side of the set action.

Yes, there is kinda tactician set (Valdun), but it’s built around 2H range, very niche option. There is another decent set i could build a char around - Runebinder. But again, 2H range.
It would be nice to see sets supporting more variety of playstyles. It would be more interesting to farm knowing more items will actually suit your char.