[Tool] Core Switcher - Force GD to use all cores equally!

OK, thx bro. :smiley:

1 Like

But Resource Monitor shows 4 CPUs for i3-4160.

Is that your CPU as well or are you looking at my picture, which is a picture of my quadcore?

Indeed. :joy:

I have i3-4170 which is almost same.

There ya go thenā€¦ online resources tell me itā€™s a dual-core so I went with thatā€¦ if your PC is showing you different then you want the 4core. I can only ever go by what I find on the internet so it is ALWAYS best for users to check in Resource Monitor and verify themselves :wink:

2 cores with Hyper-Threading, so Windows will see 4.

1 Like

Well, maybe I could try both of them.

Certainly wonā€™t hurt.

Can you upload to other hosts? Somehow I cant do direct download.

Really? Thatā€™s weird - considering that itā€™s the forum itself thatā€™s hosting them. Well, Iā€™ll take look at some other options I guess.

@powbam

hey, thanks for the work!

iā€™ve tuned the linux version a bit, so thereā€™s just need for one script to support multiple amounts of cpu threads (4, 6, 8 atm) and is more interactive so you can tell if it does what it should.

to make it work the command for the shortcut should look like:

command_for_your_terminal-emulator -e /path/to/script

works best in borderless window mode.

https://pastebin.com/f6xRVMMP

1 Like

@holystar88 - I uploaded everything to Mod DB. Hopefully you can access downloads from there.

Very niceā€¦ Iā€™ll test it out here in a bit. I really need to do something like this with the windows ones. Been meaning to but havenā€™t had the chance to figure it out yet :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Download section of the OP has been updated with a modified new version for the Linux script that combines all cores 4, 6, & 8 into one script. Anyone who needs one with a different core count just let me know and I will be happy to update the script to accommodate it - or if you know what youā€™re doing you can easily do so yourself.

Thanks again @wasted for showing me some new Linux scripting tricks with that.

I would also note that I am looking into combining the Windows versions into a single file as well and should have a solution available in the next day or so.

2 Likes

youā€™re welcome :slight_smile: if you need a helping hand for the linux version for testing or other stuff, feel free to hit me up.

1 Like

Download section of the OP has been updated with a modified new version for the Windows script that combines all (current) cores 2, 4, 6, 8, & 24 into one script. Anyone who needs one with a different core count just let me know and I will be happy to update the script to accommodate it.

If you already are using the original script you donā€™t necessarily need to ā€œupdateā€ - but if you do please be so kind as to confirm that itā€™s still working properly for you. If it works properly you should hear a soft system beep once you press the hotkey combination, then 8 seconds later another beep confirming that all changes have been enacted.

If your CPU core count is currently not supported by the script you will get a popup telling you how many cores you have and directing you to make a request for it.

If you try to fire the hotkeys while GD is NOT currently running you will also get a popup informing you to start the game first.

All the original script downloads can still be accessed in the Mod DB link at the bottom of the Downloads section, in case you find youā€™d rather use one of them still if for some reason there is a problem with the new one. Thank you.

@H_T_C - do you know how to use various tools (like Grim Internals) in Linux? I was just curious if you did and were interested in such things because you said you werenā€™t really too good with the technical aspects of Linux (some mods/tools require you to do a little digging to get them working). If you ever need help and want to get such things up and running Iā€™d be more than happy to help show you how.

I managed to make Grim Internals run once but was unable to repeat it.

Havenā€™t tried it again since.

It does require a little bit of setup.

1. You need to Set Launch Options (for Grim Dawn) in the Steam Properties.

Enter in this command: PROTON_DUMP_DEBUG_COMMANDS=1 %command%

Then run the game normally for a moment, then exit the game. You can now remove the above launch command from the options that you just entered.

2. Now open up a terminal and enter this command:
    cp "/tmp/proton_$USER/run" "$HOME/run_grim_dawn.sh"

This copies the debug output that you just generated from running the game and then converts it into a launch script and places it in your root HOME directory (under /home/your_username)

3. You need to edit this file. Look for the line that begins with - DEF_CMD= - it will have a path following it that points to Grim Dawn. You need to edit this path to point to the GrimInternals64.exe file in your root GD installation folder.

How mine looks:

Keep in mind that if you started the game up with the x64 version this path will lead into the x64 folder. You need to make sure your path to GrimInternals64.exe does not lead into the x64 folder or it will not work.

4. This file can now be used to launch GrimInternals. You can also add it to your Steam Library if you wish.

Your current version of core switcher will not work if you launch the game via GrimInternals, btw, I am now updating the download links above tho to account for this scenario. **Edit - file updated and done. linux_core_switcher now works with both GD and GI.

But i use GOGā€™s version.

Though i do have Steamā€™s version as well (which i actually bought 1st), itā€™s been well over a year since i last played Steamā€™s version.