[Tool] GD Defiler

Sano

The entire game is going to be fully moddable, with modding tools provided by the devs after release, so with or without this tool anyone who wishes to mod and change their game can do so.

This has been the plan for the game from the very start, exactly the same as Titan Quest and that has lasted for many years and is still being played. In fact it’s the mods made by fans that is helping keep TQ alive

As others have said when it comes to MP just play with people you know if you are worried about playing with someone who might have changed anything in their game from default.

bang, Bang and BANG! Nothing more need be said on whether the existence of GD Defiler is positive or not.

Take away a man’s right to choose and you are left with nothing but an empty shell.

Syn

Not only that, it’s not like it’s the only thing people can use to cheat. Have you ever heard of cheatengine? Yes that’s right it’s a memory editor. It’s a little more complicated to use than soulseekkors defiler but you can modify gold, experience, stat points, attribute points, and pretty much anything else with a numerical value you want to modify. I didn’t want to mention it but there it is. People who want to cheat are probably already cheating with it.

Odd choice of words. The game has plenty of choices already. I love customization, don’t get me wrong, but It’s about balancing choices and leveling the playingfield.

I get your point though guys. Let me use D2 again as an example. I used to play a mod as well called D2PK, which was PvP only and a new character started at lvl 99 with all the best gear available. It was awesome! However, it was not on Battlenet. It had its own realm.

I like to tweak characters, test things and such, but it should either be done separately(another server/realm) or through theorycrafting (the grimcalc). In my experience you can’t trust anyone over the internet with the honor system. Most of the time, as soon as someone get’s an advantage, others will do it too. Obviously I’m only talking about things that gives unfair advantages, like drop rates, hardcore revival, stat manipulation and so forth.

Maybe I need time to change my mind and in many ways it’s a great program, however, I stand by my opinion.

Well, you can stand by it all ya want, won’t stop it being made and made available :wink:

The author developed the original for Titan Quest and is still one of the most popular tools for TQ alongside TQ Vault.

You will find most people who play GD are going to be playing MP legit anyway. You’ll be able to find plenty here who will gladly play with people who want a legit game.

The Defilers primary function IS for theory crafting… It merely let’s you quickly test out your ideas on the fly.

Anyone with sense won’t cheat (long) even in single-player… It gets boring quickly when you breeze thru it all. At least that’s how I’ve always felt. Even back in the Game Genie days I’d scoff at my friends who did it.

MP is simple. Form a solid group of like-minded players. Either lock yer games or be ready to boot out people of suspicious character.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk

This is just the thing, there are no servers or realms in GD it’s not like Battlenet.

Crate is not supplying servers for MP to be played on. If you want to play MP it will be the same as Titan Quest. You don’t play in an online world with everyone else.

This is why people are saying that in MP if you’re worried you just play with people you know and trust and you can make sure you are all running the same game with the same mods, or lack of mods as you wish.

Edit… Just to add unlike Battlenet there is no online ladder or any form of MP competition in GD MP. Crate have said that IF in the future they have the money and staff to support servers then it’s something they might look at, but it’s not something that is likely to happen any time soon, if at all.

TQ Defiler is a great tool and i can’t really imagine playing the game without at this point. The basic 2-3 fixes are a MUST and i also like adding a few more options such as: always daylight, disable zeus etc.

Thanks for this, i ll give it a try asap :smiley:

Glad to hear it! Let me know what you think. :slight_smile: Work has slowed some on this right now, as the new file format for characters appears to be compressed…I haven’t had any luck yet myself, but I’m sure once the new format is out there someone in the community will figure it out. :wink:

Soul

New version has been posted, this is just minor changes as well as detection of the new compressed file format to avoid problems when the new build 18 is released.

Also added a PayPal donation button to the splash screen and main form for those who may be interested in supporting the project (helps keep my website up and hopefully will offset costs if I use my personal server to provide more features for the GD Defiler down the road).

Soul

What do they use to compress, doesn’t seem to be zip :wink:

Not sure, haven’t had any luck with that yet myself…I’ve tried a test app I found that tries all sorts of different algorithms on it, I then scanned through the result dumps and nothing looked promising.

Soul

So you’re saying that if that new compression format is fully implemented into GD, the Defiler may not work for GD at all anymore?

Soul - have you asked the devs for this info?

Possibly, but I’m sure someone smarter than me will figure it out if I don’t before too long lol. :slight_smile:

Yes, understandably without much luck. I’m sure that the situation is only temporary. Once the game is out of alpha/beta and is considered a full release I’m sure the specifics of how the new format works will be available, if not before then. There’s always people who can figure out this stuff, and most better than I (such as Raven and Bman who created those hard coded mods for TQ). Just might take some patience, for now I’ll be getting to work on some of the “extras” that I wanted to work into the GD Defiler. :slight_smile:

P.S. Please don’t message staff or post threads on the file format issue, at least not in relation to the GD Defiler. I fully understand the reasons behind the format change and don’t want to create hardship for the developers or Crate while working on the GD Defiler. Thanks. :slight_smile:

Soul

Since last game update … characters are not opening … giving gdc errors

Tested and same error:-

I deleted the Save Folder (backed it up of course) and created a new character from scratch. When I exit game and open Defiler … I get same gdc error !

They are aware of this, which is why the posts before yours are about trying to extract the new compressed player save files.

This. :slight_smile: In the mean time I’m working on other aspects of the GD Defiler, such as a settings screen, modifications screen, etc.

Soul

Smaller teaser update…the data on the screen is simulated but you can see what I have for the interface on this feature so far, should be nicer than the old screen of checkboxes. :wink:

Soul

Nice! Looks much more flexible.

Another smaller update…reworked the “Modifications” tab and made some progress on the “Mods Toolkit” tab. Also added pretty pretty icons to many buttons and menus, including the toolbar seen in the first screenshot below.

Main Window:

Mods Screen:

I should have this new build up tonight or tomorrow barring any last minute drastic changes. This is mostly cosmetic, although you can set your game paths for TQ/IT/GD in preparation for when the modifications screen is complete and functional. The plan is to go more of the route of having a “plugins” type setup for modifications. Custom-created mods by other people will be created in the GD Defiler (generating an XML file most likely) and can be freely shared on the internet and downloaded by others. It may include an update link where version checks may be performed, built-in mods such as the existing ones for TQ/IT will either be built-in to GD Defiler or separate however.

This being the case it will take a bit of time to create a file format for the modifications, but the interface should give you guys an idea of what may be in there.

Soul