[Tool] GD Defiler

So Soul. Please correct me if I’m wrong - the current version of GD Defiler is essentially just for us to view the interface and check that it is recognising all related information correctly? I can see that there is an accessible facility to change character names - I am waiting on the ability to change from Male to Female and vice versa.

I am looking forward to GD Vault for storage purposes. Will you be the one to release the Vault?

Thanks again, Soul!

Syn

Couple of minor points. The page you linked to should have two buttons for “Launch” and “Install” as it was not clear I could try to launch it without running the installer. Second, and trivial, if you could change the name of the download from “setup.exe” to something more detailed it would be nice.

Finally, I have a bunch of red “unknown file format!” warnings, if it would have reported the toon names I could send you those files. But it is also likely that I have lots of toons from pre-alpha that you maybe do not need to support.

installed correctly, np with kaspersky, no any particulary problem found browsing tabs etc with tq/gd chars, all seems work correctly. Win7 pro 64
Thanks a lot Soul! :slight_smile:

@ Syn
Yes that is correct, right now the saving has been disabled (for Grim Dawn characters). Titan Quest toons are fully editable, with exception to what hasn’t been completed yet such as waypoints. Gender changing needs to be done yet but that’ll be in there as well.

As far as the Vault goes I’m not entirely sure on that, it was originally done by Bman and then taken over by EJ Fudd for TQ Vault, I’ll have to contact him and see if there’s any plans to bring it to Grim Dawn at all…if not it may be something I’ll look into porting over myself when I have the time.

@ Jiaco
That page is auto-generated by Microsoft Visual Studio along with that install file. :frowning: I’ll look into seeing if that page or filename can be modified though.

I think there’s only one file format that may be missing yet from my samples, if you received those messages after I released that new build yesterday then I think you definitely have some of those I need yet…if you could email a few of those player.gdc files to me at [email protected] I’d appreciate it. :slight_smile: I’ll get that format in ASAP, only takes minutes with the GD Defiler to add file formats.

@ BlackSun
Thanks for the report!! :slight_smile:

Soul

Seems to work perfectly for me :slight_smile:
Is there any plans to add the ability to adjust drop rates?

Working flawless on Windows 7 x64 with AVG Antivirus running. All characters and informations are displayed correctly.

It’s running perfectly for me on Win7 64 showing all my TQ and IT character + GD and I can view all the stats… Just a question, am I able to modify the amount of “gold” on my character and will it save it? And skill reclaim points and such?

Across the board if you make changes it is only making it to a copy of that character in memory…for TQ/IT characters you can then use the menu to Save/Save As to actually save the changes done, for GD characters this is currently disabled to not interfere with the ongoing alpha/beta of Grim Dawn.

Soul

Had trouble installing it on Windows 8.0 at first - it kept blocking the downloaded file and gave me a big message across the screen when I tried running setup.exe (note, I’d rename the file since “setup.exe” is used by way too many programs, and I tend to keep all my downloads, so having a more unique filename would help).

Right-clicked the file, chose Properties, then clicked the Unblock button at the bottom, and then everything worked :slight_smile:

Just posting this to let others know that run into this - there’s no way I’d complain about a great tool like this :slight_smile:

I only saw this post TODAY, so I haven’t gone further than installing it and running it once, so I’ll post more after I’ve had time to test it more.

Oh, I did not quite understand from your description how updates to GD Defiler work - will the program (once installed) automatically detect that there’s an update out?

I believe it will scan for updates when you start the program.

Hm, I can’t find out how to run the file again now after I installed it…

I tried the “install” link on the site, but it only opens an XML document (I was using Firefox and sure hope you don’t need us to run IE, heh).

I couldn’t find anything called “defiler” in any of my program folders, or on my Desktop or Start Menu.

Where does the program install to, or do I need to run the setup file again? (which is what I’ll try for now).

===

Never mind, running the setup file starts the program again.

Still wouldn’t mind knowing where it installs to…

===

OK, I had a look through my four GD characters, and all the information that was displayed appears to be correct.

At this time, the Masteries and Skills do not seem to have names yet - I hope that’s on purpose and not a bug :slight_smile:

Anyway, looking great, looks to be very stable! Can’t wait for more :slight_smile:

Oops, found one tiny bug - cosmetic, only:

On the Basic page, if you resize the inner window, the checkboxes for Hardcore and Has Been In Game do not move along with their titles.

I’m a programmer (PHP) and personally want to know about things like this in my code, so I hope you feel the same way - otherwise please let me know :slight_smile:

Yes it will look for an updated version when it is launched…this is the built-in functionality provided by Microsoft, in the future I plan to give the GD Defiler the ability to truely patch itself rather than have to fully redownload everything repeatedly.

For me, after installing the application it places a shortcut to GD Defiler directly under the programs folder. Windows 8 on the other hand…could be tricky, probably have to look at the screen showing all your apps/programs, forget how to get there off-hand without digging out my tablet.

The location it installs to is the following (or similar):
C:\Users[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Soul’s Software

Right now the masteries/skills are displayed just as they are in the character file, for the masteries that means they are showing as intended…until I hard code it to display the name that we’re used to seeing in the game. :slight_smile:

And as a fellow programmer, yes I appreciated knowing any little bugs…even the cosmetic ones. :wink: Thanks for pointing that out! It’ll be fixed for the next release. :slight_smile:

Soul

Well, I have Classic Start Menu installed, so it should theoretically see that Start Menu entry… But I checked multiple times, and it’s not there. Weird…

Thanks for the installation path, I’ll create a shortcut myself, then I’m good again :slight_smile:

Something I’m noticing now, on the stats tab of my character, it’s showing Death Penalty/Recovery and Player Score as -1 is this correct?

Am I the only one thinking this is not a great idea?

I mean, I appreciate the work put into it, but to me, it’s basicly cheating. Which is barely passable if it’s single player only, but multiplayer is on it’s way.

I want a fair multiplayer game, I want fair duels (hopefully). I want hard work to pay off. If you show a great build, you should have earned that build. Not used some modifier that makes everything drop great loot and gives you unintended and unfair advantage.

My biggest joy with D2:LOD was the multiplayer and PvP part btw.

Sano, there are plenty of legitimate uses for this, and I don’t think it’s a good idea in general to try to get someone not to create something good just because it can be used in a negative way - that’s up to the user.

Example:
A few friends of mine hold LAN parties once in a while, and we have pretty much stopped playing Titan Quest completely because we pretty much have to start at the beginning every time so our characters are in sync. Using this tool, I could create a level 20 character for everyone and unlock the second act, and we could all start there and customize our characters the way we want. It doesn’t mean that most of us haven’t played the game all the way through half a dozen times already without “cheating”.

I agree - since Crate allows you to use any single player character in multiplayer mode, you can pretty much do whatever you want. But that is not a problem of the tool - it’s a problem with the ethics of the people you play with, and if you find a cheater, then don’t play with him.

No one’s saying you have to use the GDDefiler, it’s entirely up to you. Nor do you need to use all the features. It’s a tool and how you use, or not use it is up to you. As far as fairness in multiplayer goes, it’s up to you to find people with the same ethics as you to play with. That’s the hazard of multiplay, there’s always someone out there who wants to cheat. Which is why I’m quite happy being a single player only. I’m sure you’ll find that, once the MP is operational, there’ll be groups of like-minded people here on the forum you’ll be able to play with.

@Sano: It’s going to be a great tool. Most of us want it to more easily plan and try out builds to see if it will be worth investing the time in the build or not. If we like what we see we start over and build the character from the start. As far as MP, you choose who you play with.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk