[Tool] GD save file editor

Hi there!

It looks like there are a few issues here. I’ll try to explain them separately and see if we can sort things out.

1. Editor can “kind of” read _Loken if it can be found
On my machine, if I place the _Loken save into either my steam cloud save folder or “Documents\my games\Grim Dawn\save\main”, the editor can find it and can “kind of” load it. (I’ll explain why the “kind of” qualifier is added in another point later in the post.)

This means that for some reason, when you run the editor on your machine, the program just don’t know where to look for the save file. Can you give me the full path to the _Loken save file folder?

2. Editor needs to know where the game is installed
The editor needs access to the game installation directory. Specifically, it tries to load the game db file (“Grim Dawn\database\database.arz”) and the English localization file (“Grim Dawn\resources\Text_En.arc”). These two files are needed for the slightly more useful features like showing item names, generating items by name, and class manipulation by name.

Although I’ve only seen this issue mentioned by @Falala, it is expected that the current editor (0.1.1 [build 07dcc2d]) will not be able to find these two files.

Did you also encounter this problem? I need to figure out where GOG typically installs its games. Can you give me the full path to your game installation directory?

3. The editor doesn’t like characters files that haven’t been in the game
It looks like the Loken character haven’t been in the game before. The editor doesn’t really know how to deal with that at the moment. There are various pieces of data that’s added to the character when it enters the game then saved out.

While it’s a quick fix to allow the character to be loaded anyway, things like changing items in the inventory and equipment will be broken without further work. It’s probably better to enter the game with the character once after creation so every piece of data is initialized and saved into the character file.

Hi there!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3848680/grimdawn/editor/gd-edit-0.1.1-SNAPSHOT-path-from-registry.exe

This build will find your steam installation folder by checking the windows registry. Let me know if you have problems with it! =)

Hi!

1. C:\Users\Medved\Documents\my games\Grim Dawn\save\main_Loken
  2. D:\Games\Grim Dawn (it isn’t typical for GoG games)
  3. I thought so, too, so i have had some run for this character

Hello Odie, i’m new to forum, registered just to ask something.

it looks like i can’t use any input provided above, the editor kept saying “dont know how to handle this command”.

afaik, my GD savedata is located normally, on C:
just for confirmation :

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\73933796\219990\remote\save\main

and inside that folder there are two of my chara names.

what do i need to input there ? i tried my names with ‘_’ and it kept asking to load.
i’m sorry i can’t understand the instruction given clearly.
i want to change one of my masteries rather than making a new one.

thanks.

Hi there!

Sorry it took awhile to answer your post.

First, the link to a new build:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3848680/grimdawn/editor/gd-edit-0.1.1-SNAPSHOT-dir-checks.exe

1. The save path looks like the editor should find the save files

Nothing in that path suggests it might give the editor trouble finding the files. I don’t know what’s happening there. But… please try the the new build. It doesn’t do a whole lot more. However, on startup, it will report where it thinks the game directory and the save file directories are. If it can’t find the directories, it’ll also say which directories were tried.

Hopefully, we’ll get a slightly better idea of what the program is doing on your system.

2. Non-standard install paths
Well, I had hoped the editor would be able to find everything on its own without other user input. I’ll put in another command to to set where to find the game dir. I’ll put that in the next build and post it here when it’s available.

Hi fonfabre29! Welcome to the forums!
(Although I’m basically completely new here also. x)

Can you please try this build and see what it says on startup?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3848680/grimdawn/editor/gd-edit-0.1.1-SNAPSHOT-dir-checks.exe

The path you posted also seems like a location the editor should be looking at already. I don’t know why it think no save files can be found. This new build will print out which locations it looked into for the save file directories and game directory. Maybe it’ll help identify the problem?

here it is :

i see it both detected either :
1st = nonexistent save folder
2nd = wrong steam cloud save folder (i got that folder on SS but no GD save on it)

my save data location is :

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\73933796\219990\remote\save\main_Ars Infermio

^ that’s my character name at the end

my game installation location is :

F:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn

Hi Odie, i was wondering if it would be possible to make this work for Custom game saves too.

It doesnt detect characters in the “\Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\save\user” location.

Also, is it possible to make it capable of adding/removing classes from mods?

PLease, and thanks.

Hi Kazishini1889!

Yes, I’ll post a new version later today that will allow setting a custom game and save directory. It’s a feature that’s been asked for more than once. And also, it’ll solve the issues when the editor isn’t able to find those directories on its own.

Regarding adding/removing classes from mods… I’m not very familiar with what’s involved in modding GD. But it should be possible if I can get the editor to locate the additional db records and the localization file. Is there a specific mod I can take a look at to check the general file/directory structures of a mod?

Im using a large mod conglomeration, DAIL, adds a lot of new masteries.

i have played with your software, enough that i was able to make an Occultist/Shaman/Nightblade.

The URL for the mod page:

http://www.nexusmods.com/grimdawn/mods/11/?

Thanks again, I look forward to the new combos ill get to try thanks to your efforts. :slight_smile:

Hi, Odie !

i’ll read that you will add soon newer version but in this i see some problems:
1.wrong save dirrectory path. Your program try to search in dirrectory My Documents but un my prev. post and for now (I’ll change computer for 1 week) path folder has name Documents.
1.1. Next possible problem in path could be that you try to search in folder My Games (in uper case), but folder is named my games (in lower case)
2. Game folder is for Steam version, but here I have GoG version with path closly the same path in my prev post for 1 change - “D” drive to “C” drive.

Hi all!

A new build is ready!
Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3848680/grimdawn/editor/gd-edit-0.1.2-SNAPSHOT-standalone.exe

OMG! Where are my save files?
If the editor haven’t been able to file your save files, this build is for you! This build adds 2 sets of commands that will help the editor track down those sneaky save files.

• “savedir” command

Normally, when the editor starts up, it’ll try to look into your steam cloud save directory and your local save directory:
C:\Users<username>\Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\save\main
c:\program files (x86)\steam\userdata<steam id>\219990\remote\save\main

When the editor isn’t able to find the save files at those directories for some reason, it’ll complain quite loudly on startup. If that happens, please use the “savedir” command to point the editor to where your save directory is.

Suppose my save files are stored in C:\Users\Odie\Secret Character Backup\Characters. Here’s what I should enter as the command:

savedir "C:/Users/Odie/Secret Character Backup/Characters"

There are two things to note here:

1. The full path is wrapped in quotation marks. This is because there are spaces in that path. Without the quotation marks, it’s a little hard to figure out where the path ends.

2. The path is using slash “/” instead of the usual backslash “” to separate the path components. A library that the editor is using is eating the backslashes for some reason. =(

The command will save out a settings.edn file to wherever the editor is. The setting will be preserved across editor restarts.

Once new setting is given to the editor, run the “load” command (without any parameters). It should hopefully have located your save files this time! If it still doesn’t, please run “savedir” (without any parameters) to see what the editor thinks it is doing.

Lastly, if you want to remove the setting, just run the “savedir clear” command.

• “gamedir” command
    Works in basically the same way as the “savedir” command, except it is used to enter a setting that will help the editor find where your game installation is.

• misc changes

• Now looking in “Documents” instead of “My Documents” for the local save files

• Now checking all available steam cloud save folders for GD save files

Hope this resolves most major issues with running the editor! :slight_smile:

Howdy Medved2k!

1. The new version posted above will now look into the “Documents” directory. Hopefully, that helps the editor locate your save files automatically. If not, please look into the “savedir” command.

2. Please use the “gamedir” command to get the editor to find your game installation directory. To verify that this worked correctly, you can try the command “show weapon-sets/0/items/0”, which should print out the name of your primary weapon and all the related db records. :slight_smile:

Hey Od, just want to let you know IT’S FINALLY WORKING !!
now i can finally change one of mastery that i picked wrong :smiley:
i can even put my own game directory now.

Thanks a lot man :smiley:

=========================================

Btw, i followed the class add/remove post from previous page.
i did succeed in remove-adding a class that i want, but i notice something’s wrong with ‘mastery skill point’ that by default can’t be respec’ed by spirit guide.

Here’s the case :

• before using editor, i got 32 mastery points spent (tier 7) on arcanist, i can’t remove that so i let it be.
  • proceed to remove Arcanist -> add Nightblade
  • after using editor, i got full 50 mastery points spent (tier max) on nightblade.

Now where do i got those free 18 pts in my new class ? :eek:

PS: the skill points i redeemed from spirit guide remains same, i still got them available with same number.

nice program. i am using the latest 0.1.2. i am having issue replacing weapon.
i am keep getting
caught exception: nil
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
at clojure.string$replace.invokeStatic (string.clj:101)
clojure.string$replace.invoke (string.clj:75)
gd_edit.command_handlers$item_name.invokeStatic (command_handlers.clj:903)
gd_edit.command_handlers$item_name.invoke (command_handlers.clj:892)
gd_edit.command_handlers$analyze_item_name$fn__1937.invoke (command_handlers.clj:1121)
clojure.core$sort_by$fn__6993.invoke (core.clj:3104)
clojure.lang.AFunction.compare (AFunction.java:47)
java.util.TimSort.countRunAndMakeAscending (:-1)
java.util.TimSort.sort (:-1)
java.util.Arrays.sort (:-1)
clojure.core$sort.invokeStatic (core.clj:3088)
clojure.core$sort_by.invokeStatic (core.clj:3092)
clojure.core$sort_by.invoke (core.clj:3092)
gd_edit.command_handlers$analyze_item_name.invokeStatic (command_handlers.clj:1119)
gd_edit.command_handlers$analyze_item_name.invoke (command_handlers.clj:1104)
gd_edit.command_handlers$construct_item.invokeStatic (command_handlers.clj:1193)
gd_edit.command_handlers$construct_item.invoke (command_handlers.clj:1163)
gd_edit.command_handlers$set_item_handler.invokeStatic (command_handlers.clj:1250)
gd_edit.command_handlers$set_item_handler.invoke (command_handlers.clj:1226)
gd_edit.command_handlers$set_handler.invokeStatic (command_handlers.clj:752)
gd_edit.command_handlers$set_handler.invoke (command_handlers.clj:712)
gd_edit.core$fn__2114.invokeStatic (core.clj:52)
gd_edit.core/fn (core.clj:52)
gd_edit.core$repl_eval.invokeStatic (core.clj:162)
gd_edit.core$repl_eval.invoke (core.clj:132)
gd_edit.core$repl_iter.invokeStatic (core.clj:172)
gd_edit.core$repl_iter.invoke (core.clj:167)
gd_edit.core$repl$fn__2178.invoke (core.clj:180)
gd_edit.core$repl.invokeStatic (core.clj:179)
gd_edit.core$repl.invoke (core.clj:175)
gd_edit.core$_main.invokeStatic (core.clj:284)
gd_edit.core$_main.doInvoke (core.clj:272)
clojure.lang.RestFn.invoke (RestFn.java:397)
clojure.lang.AFn.applyToHelper (AFn.java:152)
clojure.lang.RestFn.applyTo (RestFn.java:132)
gd_edit.core.main (:-1)

Cool, thanks for letting me know! Looks like I’m setting newly added mastery’s level to something unreasonable. Will update soon. =)

Looks like I broke something at some point. Will update soon! =)

New build!

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3848680/grimdawn/editor/gd-edit-0.1.2-SNAPSHOT-standalone.exe

Just adding bugfixes from the the two above posts. The link location didn’t change. It’s just here so you don’t have to hunt for that link. I’ll also update it in the original post in case anybody is interested in running the latest build.

Lastly, if anybody wants to report an issue, please include the build info when the program starts up. It looks something like:

gd-edit [build f492168]

The build number looks like gibberish. But it’s useful, I promise! :smiley:

Thank you so much for this editor! See, I was trying to farm the warden for items but the map was so big and a Windows app crashed GD twice before I could kill him.

So with your editor, I managed to reset back to lvl 29, from lvl 30. Thx 'cos I didn’t have a later save file backup. ^^

No wait, that didn’t seem to work… lol. How do I reset my xp level?

Hi there!

Glad you found the editor useful! =)

To reset your experience… try “show experience” and “set experience <some number here>”. You might want to reference an xp/level table from somewhere.

Maybe try the table from this post? http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31206