[Tool] GD save file editor

That seems to have worked, I suggest changing the java link to this one: https://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
So one can choose 64 bit if needs be.

Cheers Odie, and well done!

Hi Odie,

It is not complaining as much. There seems to be one more registry entry or file it is not finding. See the output below.

C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Grim Dawn>gd-edit
20-03-01 14:39:47 PaulsPC DEBUG [gd-edit.game-dirs:?] -
gd_edit.core.main
ā€¦
gd-edit.core/-main core.clj: 549
gd-edit.core/-main core.clj: 567
gd-edit.core/start-editor core.clj: 535
gd-edit.core/initialize core.clj: 491
gd-edit.command-handlers/load-settings-file command_handlers.clj: 1233
clojure.core/reset! core.clj: 2373
ā€¦
gd-edit.inventory/fn inventory.clj: 103
gd-edit.inventory/bind-texture-slot-dims-fn inventory.clj: 84
gd-edit.game-dirs/get-file-and-overrides game_dirs.clj: 209
gd-edit.game-dirs/get-file-override-dirs game_dirs.clj: 175
gd-edit.game-dirs/get-game-dir game_dirs.clj: 150
gd-edit.game-dirs/get-game-dir-search-list game_dirs.clj: 73
gd-edit.game-dirs/get-game-dir-search-list game_dirs.clj: 76
gd-edit.game-dirs/standard-game-dirs game_dirs.clj: 56
gd-edit.game-dirs/get-steam-path game_dirs.clj: 23
com.sun.jna.platform.win32.Advapi32Util.registryGetStringValue Advapi32Util.java: 555
com.sun.jna.platform.win32.Win32Exception: The system cannot find the file specified.
HR: -2147024894

This cycles 6 times then displays the following (which are the correct paths
save directories:
C:\Users\PJ\Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\save\main

game directory:
C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Grim Dawn

Need help? Check the docs!
https://odie.github.io/gd-edit-docs/faq/

Iā€™m currently running the game while I run the edit utility. Do I need to exit the game for it to run properly ?

Hmm! Iā€™ll take a look at this again tomorrow. Iā€™m really surprised itā€™s printing out this particular exception still.

In the mean time, can you try these two things?

1. Check the exact version of the editor
    It should say:
gd-edit 0.1.9-SNAPSHOT [build 57b4ab9]

Note the strange looking (7 digit alphanumeric) build number. If it doesnā€™t match what it says here, then you arenā€™t running the version with the fix to ignore errors from trying to locate steam.

1. Disable the debug log
    There should be a ā€œsettings.ednā€ file thatā€™s sitting in the same directory as the editor. As the name suggests, it is used to save settings. You can open it with a normal text editor. If you see an something in there that looks like:
:log-level :debug

Please remove both of those items. This should stop the editor from spitting out exceptions/errors that it is able to deal with.

Hi Odie,

The version is gd-edit 0.1.9-SNAPSHOT [build 57b4ab9] so weā€™re all good there. There was no log-level setting in the settings.edn file.

If I removed both the gd-edit.txt and the settings .edn file and run a clean gd-edit session I get an almost clean result. See below

C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Grim Dawn>gd-edit
gd-edit 0.1.9-SNAPSHOT [build 57b4ab9]

save directories:
C:\Users\PJ\Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\save\main

Game directory cannot be located
The following locations were checked:

Some editor functions such as db queries and changing items and equipment wonā€™t work properly.

Need help? Check the docs!
https://odie.github.io/gd-edit-docs/faq/

Diag produces this

diag

? JVM version: 1.8.0_241-b07
? Game directory does not exist
Please use the ā€˜gamedirā€™ command to help the editor find your game installation directory
? File exists: database\database.arz
? File exists: resources\Text_EN.arc
? File exists: resources\Items.arc

I then successfully update the game directory using the gamedir command. After I do this and re-run gd-edit (as administrator) it then produces the ā€œdebugā€ output I originally sent you this morning. That seems to indicate it does not like the gamedir setting at startup for some odd reason (but itā€™s sort of ok and gives less errors if it is not set to begin with). Let me know if there is more diagnostic info you need me to run.

Note: In case anyone reading this thinks the program is broken, it isnā€™t. You can use it to adjust things just fine. Itā€™s just the cosmetic appearance for those not using the steam version of the game that is not behaving itself.

hi Odie, awesome little program, itā€™s saved me a lot of time with experimenting! Since the update however, it wonā€™t even open, the dialogue box appears and then disappears. Iā€™m not tech savvy, any ideas? Could I maybe get the link for the previous version?

Odie just helped me with this issue,

1. Search ā€œrunā€ in windows search bar
  2. Open Run and type ā€œcmdā€ in the field
  3. In the cmd window, type ā€œjava -versionā€ and hit enter

If it doesnā€™t say 64-Bit Server VM (As mine said Client Server VM) - try using this link and download the Java 64 -bit version:

https://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Worked for me.

Worked, thank you!

what command is best to use to add a Hydra bow 6 sockets ? ( D2 related ā€œreign of terrorā€) ?

Looks like the Hydra Bow is hiding in a database record the editor isnā€™t looking at at the moment. Iā€™ll try to figure something out in a day or so.

Iā€™d like to be able to change resistances (Fire, cold, lightning, aether, stun, vitality, poison, pierce, etc). Anyone know where they are hiding ? Show and find commands donā€™t pick them up but I assume they are around somewhere, just not obvious (a little like the inventory stashes, you have to go hunting).

You cannot change them, they get calculated on the fly from your equipment - and you cannot change it on the equipment either, as its base values are taken from the gameā€™s files, the game then only adds a random factor on top based on the itemā€™s seed.

That seed you could change, but since you have no way of knowing which seed results in which values, there is no real point to it.

Your character starts off with zero values until you start equipping with gear and devotions so could you not change the base levels to something else before gear and devotion add-ins ?

Not in the savefile, these values are not stored in it. I assume you could in a mod.

Swap Variant isnā€™t working, just an fyi.

A new version is available!

This version should now (hopefully) be able to locate ALL items in the game database files. This includes any items defined in mods.

@Boobz
A command such as

set inv/0/items "Hydra bow"

which is asking for an item from a mod, with its definition sitting in an unexpected location in the db, should now work without issue.

@KingHades
Also in this version, is a fix to the swap-variant command, which was accidentally broken at some point. Thanks for pointing out the problem!

can you add items with sockets with save file editor to your inventory ?

Not sure what you mean by a socket, GD has no sockets. Each item can have one prefix and one suffix.

Itā€™s been a long time since I played GD last. IIRC, you can put a single component and a single augment on your gear. There is no way to add more to your gear. Thatā€™s just the way the game works.

The mod can try to get close to D2, but itā€™s still restricted to how the game engine treats gear.

I had the same issue where the new version was booting, then closing right away. Downloading the 64-bit java as described earlier fixed the problem, so thanks guys :slight_smile:

Hey there! Iā€™m kind of new to the game, just finished for the first time the whole content with a internet found build. Now, I made a character of my own and stumbled upon your program to help me test some stuff. However, Iā€™m having issues with a lot of items, namely the Screams of the Aether ring, the Conduit of Warring Whispers necklace and some others that I tested just to see if they would work (like the Lost Souls set). All of the above give me the message ā€œSorry, the item could not be constructedā€. Iā€™m running the latest version of the editor (Iā€™ve hit the ā€œupdateā€ command several times to check it). Am I doing something wrong? Can someone please help?

Thank you very much and amazing job with this program, Odie!