[Tool] Grim Internals

1 Like

The game froze two times for me with new Grim Internals and fog disabled. Iā€™m not 100% sure the fog was disabled the 1st time.
I think both occurred after clicking Start.
It may be a coincident but Iā€™ve never had any freezes before such as these in my Grim Dawn history.
Btw I install new builds by overwriting. Probably doesnā€™t matter but worth mentioning.
For now Iā€™m going back to the previous build.

Sorry, but the reason given makes no sense. Itā€™s up to the author to keep the source closed or open, and I do respect that, but the reason of preventing malware is faulty.

1. Someone can still attach a trojan or spyware to the program and distribute it. The software isnā€™t signed with a certificate, and more importantly, there is no hash check. It doesnā€™t matter much if it is open or closed source. Someone can share a link to a program called ā€œGrim Internalsā€ and there is no easy way to check if it is the same as the one from this forum. An user would have to download both and compare hashes, and nobody would do that if they already got it from here.
  2. Itā€™s easier to check against malware if it is open source. Take Windows and Linux applications for example: 95+% of Linux apps are open source while most Windows apps are closed. However, after decades of using both, I have only come across one instance of adware on Linux, whereas I have seen all kinds of malware (trojans, viruses, spyware, etc.) on Windows many times. This is because anyone can check the source to report and/or fix it, whereas with closed source apps, we are relying completely on the whoever is distributing the program. With unsigned closed source, we have no way of checking if an app has been tampered, besides downloading both, which is an unlikely scenario.

With closed source software, it is each single userā€™s responsibility to make sure it does not contain malware. With open source software, the whole community of developers and users can ensure the source is clean and protect the distribution channels. For example, if someone wanted an older version for some reason, say it worked better for them or something; they would have to get it from a 3rd party distributor. We have no way of checking the download hosted, so that file could contain malware. The only reason this hasnā€™t happened yet is because this is a relatively small userbase.

There are good reasons for keeping closed source code for proprietary reasons, but if the software is freeware anyway, then it is just inconvenient for everyone. The single developer has to be hassled every time there is a bug or update, and if she is unavailable or moves on, then the whole project is dead.

All that said, it is up to the author to do whatever she wants with the code, and I respect that. Iā€™m only explaining why the reason given makes no sense. To be honest, I donā€™t care if this program is open or closed source; like I said, it is up to the developer. I only want to make it clear that open source software is generally safe and does not contain malware. It is common misinformation that open source is less safe, but it is not true.

4 Likes

This isnā€™t the reason (not necessarily a ā€œbadā€ try tho). Thanks for the dissertation but youā€™ve missed the point and itā€™s not something we are going to discuss quite so openlyā€¦ here. Just be assured that there is a good reason, you simply havenā€™t grasped exactly what that reason is yet.

That was the reason posted recently in the thread, and it was what I replied about. Whatever reason not mentioned is irrelevant to what I said.

powbam shared a file on dropbox. I assume your file is the same as the one the author linked. I assume youā€™re familiar with the author, and she gave you permission to upload. I assume you know what youā€™re talking about. But since I am new, how would I know for sure? See, you missed my point. (No, Iā€™m not accusing you of anything. Imagine this conversation could be happening between other people somewhere rather than on official forums )

Again, I respect whatever the developer(s) do with the source code; Iā€™m only talking about the reason given. You donā€™t even have to give a reason, but since you discussed it, I responded to that.

1 Like

Grim Internals is such an awesome tool that it encourages people to buy the game :wink:

4 Likes

tenor%20(1)

If I launch Grim Dawn normally, I can play the game with zero issues. If I try to play with Grim Internals, however, I crash while loading my character.

Just a recent 1.97 build or are you a new Grim Internals user?

thank you @GlockenGerda for your continuos support and adding the option I have asked for :blush:

1 Like

What build is working for you? v1.96d?
If have to check whatā€™s the difference between v1.96d and v1.97 and what can cause the freeze.
On my side v1.97 is working fine.

Does the crash happen before the main menu is displayed
or after you have selected a character and pressed the start button?

Sorry, I take it back for now because I went back to v1.97 with Fog disabled and cannot reproduce it.

Iā€™ve used Grim Internals multiple times; Iā€™m certainly not an expert about it, but Iā€™ve used it in the past with little issues.

The crash would always happen after I click ā€œstartā€ with my character; it would just eventually happen during the loading screen.

That being said, I was messing with it again some more and found out that if I open the configator while Iā€™m in this ā€œcrashedā€ state, my game suddenly loads in perfectly with no issues.

Iā€™ll see if I can replicate this again eventually.

I had something like this too. I also remember opening the configurator then. I think weā€™re reporting the same issue.

@saucey @tqFan
Are you using GOG or Steam version of Grim Dawn?
Just to narrow the problem down.
Also please mention which Windows version do you have.
Thanks!

I have Windows 8.1 and Steam Grim Dawn. I havenā€™t gotten the freeze after clicking start since I installed 1.97 again and I tried 4 times already

Steam, Windows 10

bro try re-adding this on the exception of antiviruses, a old chap had the same issue

1 Like

Hey there. I have a very strange issue: I cannot teleport to the waypoint ā€œInner Nekropolisā€ with Grim Internals turned on. I am stuck in the loading screen. Without GI its working. Any other waypoint is working too. :smiley:

Does anybody has the same problem?