⭐ Top 20 Softcore builds in Grim Dawn (An Opinion)

I know you have a lot of experience with AAR, what is viable setup for aether AAR spellbinder to kill Crate/Ravager/Callagadra?

TBH, I’m confused at why some guys care that much about SR pushing.
I’ve made an SR135 run within timer, using a tanky version of my physical retal WL, but does anyone truely think physical retal deserve a place here?
And TBH, the best one at SR pushing is Mageslayer Set Mage Hunter, which can pass SR205 with a win rate of around 50%, in single player mode. Does anyone think Mageslayer Set Mage Hunter rank top 20?

3 Likes

In its current state, none sadly, unless you wanna do an endless hit and run tactic for half an hour.

No, but I’d be curious to see a grimtools link of that

Half an hour is exaggeration. It’ll be in under 5 mins in any rendition.

When i was tweaking Clairvoyant Binder i finally did a version that can facetank Ravager (not even sure if winrate is 100%). But then the dmg was dumped too hard. Was smth like this: Spellbinder, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.6) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

1 Like

Pets sure do attract a particular type of player. Maybe crate needs to add some briathorn and bird dialog options for practicing social interaction and reading comprehension

4 Likes

Bad balance in this case. Clearly needs some extra.

Imagine spending weeks, if not months, on this sort of exercise - gathering concrete metrics, extensive testing, and meticulously finding ways to justify one build over another - only to be shut down by editing to say it’s just, like, your opinion, man, as worthless as anyone else’s. It is not a good way to thank the people testing this and definitely not an incentive to have them keep playing if their efforts are going to be treated like a “circle jerk.”

People get way too hung up on what a tier list would or should look like. A build that reliably beats Crucible and SR75-76 to get the best chance of whatever loot you’re looking for (whether it’s a Legendary or that double rare green) is a really good build, especially compared to whatever you get throwing random items into a build calculator. This thread was looking for the best of the best - a concise way to ask which build can farm these items better than the rest. When there are over 300 viable build options, does a build not entering the top 35 or whichever really matter in the long run?

Yes, pet builds have an innate disadvantage when it comes to managing aggro and having minions chase enemies around to do their damage. It’s a lot harder to go ham on the DPS when your DPS is clustered around specific bodies that have to 1v1 their targets than AoE explosions that you can cast and forget about. Especially when you have to gear for two entire separate entities (the player gear and the pet gear). And guess what? People have tested the pet builds and found that they couldn’t do the job as well as the top 20 builds could. I just appreciated that they tested the builds in the first place.

I’ll just say thank you for your thorough testing and get on with life. I’d be interested to see what some of the other honorable mentions were, though it’s very likely I caught most of your builds and put them in the build compendium (I’ve been following the Youtube channels very closely).

14 Likes

Props to @Carson_N for playing all the top 20 and writing his comments on each (may need translation plugin)

Edit: I assume most have never looked at this blog as it does not appear to be indexed for English Google searches, but he’s put in ton of work over the years reviewing crucible/SR/supers performance videos across all GD communities and trying the builds himself

7 Likes

I heard this thread needed more opinions so here’s another one.

I’m a bit out of touch, but I’d likely agree with pet builds not making this list.

Individual pet builds tend to not excel at CR, SR, and Celestials at the same time. The fastest CR pet builds tend to be extremely glassy, and the CR buff mechanics as applied to pets makes them inconsistent (dead pet loses buff), and it makes temporary pets comparatively worse in CR than SR.

Pets are also not at their peak strength relative to everything else. At some point in the past they may have belonged in the top, but probably not right now.

8 Likes

Ouch!

Disclaimers:I’m a big fan of Mad_Lee. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Nice. But that guy asked for aether AAR that does Ravager, Crate and Calla. You think some of the “classic” setups with Aeon could do it with the Mirror and MoT thing?

Ouch indeed :rofl:

Btw you mentioned that some RF retal warlord could be included. I’m the only one who played it and tried to include it in the list (before I stopped) and I scored it perfect tens in all the tankiness measures (you kill ravager without pharma while literally closing your eyes) but the low damage and especially aoe dragged it down. Same with non retal versions of melee RF warlord/shieldbreaker

I agree with you. :grinning:

I have actually played many versions including the y838849864 build linked below.
It may be a little less fast, but I think it is an extremely high overall performance build in SR.

https://space.bilibili.com/402776676?spm_id_from=333.788.b_765f7570696e666f.1

I also think the bleeding trickster is one of the highest performing builds in SR.

The game version is a little bit old, bleeding trickster of the 姓柳名雨字云烟 SR75-80 19 min 42 sec.

2 Likes

We all are, don’t worry. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I wouldn’t say it can solo SR205 with 50% success but nvm. Can you link sth, gt or some vids?

I’m interested because Mageslayer MH is one of my favorite builds in the game, and I sank many hours into it. I made some tweaks and runs with different setups hoping to submit it for this list but it’s just not on par with the top builds within the chosen criteria. With good rng, it can clear ridiculously high SR in some setups. In dmg setups, it’s somewhat competitive in Crucible and can still perform in SR 75 with decent consistency. You can also easily balance it for all-round performance. But that performance is not up to par. And the rng of enemies and muts always lowers consistency. Plus OFF is useless vs. celestials. And build has serious holes that have to be fixed with affixes (at least in my experience).

Great build concept, one of the most fun in the game imo. But I can’t argue it deserves a place on the list.

Surprisignly for me, Grey’s FoI paladin made it to honorable mentions. I would love to get some comparison between the MH and paladin.

Aeon can be used for minor kiting kills of every superboss with failsafe based gameplay. You still have to kite because in those small windows of failsafe downtime you instantly die. The build i linked facetanks Ravager but sacrifices made for it are too big.

Fan of his instagram. His builds - not so much.

3 Likes

Video: Grim Dawn. Олехра+Игнаффар VS 200 Шард(максимальный скейл боссов) Архимаг Александр. - YouTube
GT link: Mage Hunter, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.6) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

As long as the bosses on stage can all be frozen (only few bosses with over 150% freeze resist cannot be frozen forever), it’s not hard to pass the boss room.

And the first 3 rooms? Pull monsters carefully and do the same thing as if in the boss room. No big deal. Just take longer time.

Thanks for your excellent work. @AlexGoldFish_322

3 Likes

I used sth like this for deep SR Mage Hunter, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.6) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator which seems tankier with better OFF, and could not imagine myself ever going that far. I guess it’s patience. But this is worth noting that builds capable of that even if not consistently - and not necessarily bad in other areas except celestials - should be worth at least an honarable mention imo.

1 Like

why tho? (yes deliberately being a contrarian here :sweat_smile:)
if they are still slower, or much slower farming, than other builds, what does their deep SR meaning have? - since this is not a deep sr list, but an efficiency list of sorts.
if “all” other builds does SR 75-76 in 8minutes, but deep SR magehunter does it in 10mins, even if it’s safe farming 75, and even if it can do SR 130-150 or even 200, what does that matter, if it’s still 25% worse in comparison to regular content and efficiency, which this list addresses ? (numbers pulled out of thin air/made up for argument sake)
why does deep sr matter remotely for honorable mentions, here, if it confers no bonus attributes/qualities to the build/performance, for the specific metrics used here in this performance thread?