Torchlight: Infinite

Alas, poor Torchlight. I knew him well.

3 Likes

I was very vaguely interested (I didn’t totally hate Torchlight II, actually enjoyed it somewhat) until I got to the 5th word. Mobile installment, big ew.

I’m sure glad I found Grim Dawn when I did, lol

4 Likes

The presentation looks fantastic but beyond that, it feels like with every instalment after 2, they’ve been regressing with what Torchlight 1/2 players loved and cherished in the series and it’s only getting worse.

2 Likes

so basically they just felt like putting out a reminder that the last Tochlight game is almost 10yo? guessing because winter sale or something? :thinking: :man_shrugging:

the trailer feels like fortnite… ughhh. and since when are torchlight being wacky like team fortress 2? as far as i remember its almost always grimdark and serious beneath the cartoony- appearance.

the gameplay looks decently torchlight… hopefully less heavily dependent on pay to win. the art designs are great though. now with futuristic style mixed with the steampunk fantasy. i’ll give it a shot.

1 Like

this page gives some glance about how torchlight infinite’s planned features:
torchlight infinite page in taptap.io

these described features are worth noticing:

• Open-ended Hero Building *
    With 24 unique skill trees spanning over 180+ skills, the four heroes - and many more to come - can be built and optimized for just about any playstyle. (does that mean each classes can have some shared skills? also, 24 skill trees? thats much bigger than the previous torchlight games) Whether it’s blasting foes with fields of fire and ice, hacking and slashing through hordes of emberons, or raining fury justice down with bullets - your hero is empowered to break limits for you.

• Relentlessly Satisfying *
    Stamina and attack skill cooldowns are a thing of the past. Whether you prefer spamming fireballs from a distance or getting up close and personal with an earth-shattering sword, nothing can hold you back from uncovering the secrets of Leptis at your pace.(i wonder what they mean about no stamina and cooldown… thats really vague…)

• Free-to-Play, Play to Slay/Win *
    Weapon upgrades, stat boosts, and crafting materials have all been removed from the shelves and instead, appear exclusively in the randomly generated loot drops with no pay-to-win elements (hopefully not gonna go the dreaded gacha route). Microtransactions are 100% cosmetic (i really hope so) and available for those who wish to deck out their heroes with even more personality.

• Is Torchlight: Infinite a mobile game? *
    Torchlight: Infinite is a multiplatform game - while that includes mobile, it will not be exclusively on mobile. (imo they should have made the pc version as the base version… making mobile version as the base port feels like cash grab move to me) We were really inspired by multiplatform games where players can have the option to enjoy a high-quality version on a big platform while also experiencing a less hardware-intensive version of the game on the go. With that being said, our first upcoming closed beta will be for the mobile version of the game and we will have more beta tests in the future for the game on other platforms as well!

• Is Torchlight: Infinite the same as Torchlight 3? *
    No, Torchlight: Infinite is developed by a completely separate team from Torchlight 3. Our game has always been and will always be a traditional hack & slash ARPG game with a slightly more light-hearted tone when compared to many other games in this genre (which we love to play as well!). Our team has been a huge fan of the Torchlight universe ourselves, especially with T1, T2 and we wanted to make something that can live up to those wonderful games. (welp. that means torchlight 3’s much needed dev updates are totally dead now. since perfect world doesn’t seem to care about it other than maintaining a little multi server. PW grant XD entertainment studio the permission to develop this. i’ve had lackluster experiences from singapore/china devs mobile arpg games since their aggressive gacha/cashino mechanics ruin the gameplay mechanics of many mobile games with inevitable power creep and pay to win. but i’ll withhold further judgement until they release the beta. and no words from echtra games at all. who knows what arpg game echtra’s currently developing now. but its safe to say to torchlight franchise is totally out of the original creators’ hands forever -_-)

I’m gonna be keeping an eye on this. I’m a little sceptical right now what with them only showing 3 Heroes and 3 skills for each, some of which are pretty basic/standard for ARPGs/Hack-n-slashes. But it is early so I’ll just wait and see.

I do hope the loot isn’t lacking either and offers some variety as that’s another big complaint I remember reading from other players that played Torchlight 3 - every class only gets or ends up using 1 Legendary set that overshadows everything else and it’s filled with some relatively generic bonuses. Which in my humble opinion, sounds like a distant far cry to the breadth of options you could pull out of Torchlight 2.

The past day or 2, I was really thinking about 3/Infinite and what I believe I wanted/want or others that played Torchlight 1/2 want out of them and it really felt like it was more of what 2 did but bigger and more refined. The core aspects of 2 were awesome - varied areas with secrets and great enemies, plenty of skills to experiment with that augmented or changed with tier bonuses (though admittedly I wish more were fairly balanced), plenty of gear to spice things up even further with some even synergising directly with your skills. Even some of the smaller features like fishing and transforming your pet, while small and arguably unimportant/low on the priority list, were memorable.

When it boils down to it, that’s often what I feel ARPG/loot-based game players want with sequels. They want their game to keep the core gameplay elements that they love while experimenting on top of but not interfering with or removing any aforementioned core elements. Not gonna lie, I love some of Torchlight 3’s ideas like the Railmaster’s Train, the Steam Bot or Relics pushing crazy potential ideas like a Bloody Saw Bot or Poisonous Train if the player gets creative and weird enough, things that weren’t possible in the previous instalments. But the lower number of active skills, basic skill trees and as mentioned above basic loot turns me off from the notion of buying and playing it. Just how many well and truly unique Steam Bot character builds will I be able to make? How does this stack up to the number of different Berserkers or Embermages you can make? If I had to name a sequel that I personally feel really delivers in enhancing it’s gameplay over the previous instalment in recent years as a frame of reference/comparative POV, it’d be Borderlands 3.

That’s my 2 cents anyhow, just wanted to get all my thoughts out somewhere so I can stop thinking about all of it :relieved:.

1 Like

t3 definitely had unique skill ideas. the late game nuild variatons seemed lacking though, not to menion the lack of endgame contents even incliung fazer shah’s dun’djinn.

t infinite only had few previews and too much promises right now, so torchlight fans had to wait or join the closed beta. maybe it’ll be released arounf early 2023 imo.

its safe to say that PW hates mods. and torchlight series’ attractiveness was 1/3 due to the mods. fishing and feeding pets was also one of the core features of torchlight games imo.

borderlands 3 does set a great example on how a sequel keep the core gameplays of its predecessor while improving it and adding interesting features. however i hate what they did to borderlands 2 vault hunters. scattering and drifting apart the b2 hunters and almost not adding interactions between them was a great mistake. considering b1 hunters had been shown to have great solidarity after reuniting from their breakups in b2.
i hate b3’s story directions, i only saw lets plays of it because i can’t bear playing borderlands games without gaige (and they turned her from badass dorky nerd mechromancer into confused wedding planner simping for a gay man that doesn’t care much for her in b3… its like having ulgrim turned into a depressed deadbeat drunkard in gd 2…) but i do agree that the gameplay was greatly improved. b3 was a rare case where you like the game mechanics, but the story really turns you off from playing the game considering what they did to your beloved characters from its predecessor.

thats enough for my borderlands 3 ranting. its too much depression for me after torchlight series was already flipped upside down inside out like a poor schmuck being used as theodin’s canvas and krieg’s torture toy.

1 Like

My thoughts exactly. Without going further off-topic into a complete rant, I don’t know why they mistreated so many fan-favourite characters. If the story and writing were on point, 3 would virtually be perfect all-around.

1 Like