Totem Farming in Ultimate (Base Game) an experiment of sorts

I do have the 2 expansion packs, but I haven’t started Ultimate on them yet. I wanted to do this little experiment first before starting in AoM and finishing in FG. Once that is done, I will focus my attention on Crucible and Shattered Realms.

I did 10 runs. The first two runs I went into every single rift and I opened the map of the area. If I saw a totem, I would go to it. If not, then off to the next portal. From the 3rd to the last run, I would pick the portals that seem to have a greater chance of having a totem right away or within 30 seconds of searching before one spawned on my map. If patient, a 60 count would most likely yield a totem, especially if you know where to look.

My route: Wightmire, Burrwitch Outskirts, Burrwitch Village, all three portals for Warden’s Cellar (there is one there, just got to check all three), Arkovian Foothills (far to the east around a bunch of skeletons), Broken Hills (I found 3 spots that it spawns, just head west until you find one), Twin Falls (always due south), Pine Barrens, Rotting Croplands (either to the north a short distance or a nice walk to the west and sometimes the northwest), Blood Grove (usually to the west, sometimes one in the ‘secret’ area, and sometimes due south), Askerkarn Mountains (if you don.t see it right away on your map, move on), Asterkarn Valley (east of rift and north of Tomb of Korvaak), Gates of Necropolis and Gates of the Watchers (will have to do some traveling on both, usually spawns on far side of the map to the north).

My 10 runs and the break down of how many items was looted for each run. Travel = the items I found while I was trying to get to the totems. There were many trash mobs and quite a few heroic monsters that were begging to get pwn’d so they would cough up their loot. I did encounter 2 Nemesis monsters, that were right next to a totem no less, and I avoided them since I don’t have a GG 100 yet. That cost me some loot, but oh well. Not bad for an experiment. Good thing I have many alts to also act as additional stash space. Remember mules in D2?

1st Run: 13 Totems, 10 Purples, 18 Blues, 2 Blue Prints. Travel: 1 Purple 4 Blues. Loot: 35 items.
2nd Run: 12 Totems, 8 Purples, 18 Blues, 2 Blue Prints. Travel: 1 Purple, 1 Blue. Loot: 30 items.
3rd Run: 14 Totems, 8 Purples, 23 Blues, 1 Blue Print. Travel: 1 Purple, 1 Blue. Loot: 34 items.
4th Run: 14 Totems, 7 Purples, 22 Blues, 3 Blue Prints. Travel: 1 Purple, 4 Blues. Loot: 37 items.
5th Run: 14 Totems, 8 Purples, 33 Blues, 4 Blue Prints. Travel: 6 Blues. Loot: 51 Items.
6th Run: 13 Totems, 11 Purples, 28 Blues, 3 Blue Prints. Travel: 2 Blues. Loot: 44 Items.
7th Run: 13 Totems, 10 Purples, 27 Blues, 2 Blue Prints. Travel: 1 Purple, 7 Blues. Loot: 47 Items.
8th Run: 15 Totems, 10 Purples, 22 Blues, 2 Blue Prints. Travel: 3 Blues. Loot: 37 Items.
9th Run. 14 Totems, 10 Purples, 26 Blues, 2 Blue Prints. Travel: 1 Purple, 5 Blues, 1 Blue Print. Loot: 45 Items.
10Th Run. 14 Totems, 17 Purples, 21 Blues, 0 Blue Prints. Travel: 2 Purples, 3 Blues. Loot: 43 Items.

Total: 136 Totems, 107 Purples, 268 Blues, 22 Blue Prints. Total Items: 397. LOTS OF GOODIES! :exploding_head:

Of course if my math is wrong then I blame my calculator. I can do that right? :crazy_face:

Just thought I would share my findings, especially if someone is looking for a gear grind other than The Crucible or The Shattered Realms or perhaps in addition to those two, :man_shrugging:.

Yeah, I got tons of duplicates and I would compare them and keep the GG one. I didn’t find as many set items (Blue or Purple) that I wanted, but at least I did find a bunch of Blue Prints and some loot that was completely new to me. I’m still but a humble noob after all. :innocent:

Hope you enjoyed the read. I know It’s not a faceroll hands-behing-your-back GG monster blast build with a handy dandy flashy video, but it’s something, yeah? :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Totems are very handy when playing SSF and HC. I hope they stay that generous in drops as they are now.

I hope so too. It’s very helpful, especially to new players grinding out their first couple of characters. There are tons of items in the game and many sets that require 4 - 5 pieces to complete the set. They kind of need to be generous with the loot. Many will be duplicates anyway.

Seems to me that almost all purple drops are more or less duplicates of the same items, especially at lower levels of purple, but it gets really repetitive at the higher end too. Mythical Riftwarped Grasp is practically an autosell item for me and there are a fair few others too, while set items such as Dreeg, Ultos, Ulzuin, Trozan etc. never mind the rarer higher end sets seem to be really damned rare.

It’d be nice if you could find set items a bit more frequently rather than the Mythical Wyrmscale Boots #327 and Mythical Menhirian #876.

Given how much of the same I seem to be getting all the time, I’m more excited about the good quality green items because looks like the only way to get sets in anything like a reasonable timeframe is craft as many helmets (or other pieces you have recipes for and then play around with transmuting until you have all the pieces. And that gets REALLY expensive really fast.