TPOM's Grimarillion Build Compendium, Featuring Pets

Whoa, this dual Serpent Sparker build is pretty insane. Great work! Will we see a build involving the Monk and his new immortal Mystic Ally? That aura buff he gives is just too sweet. Wondering if it stacks for 2 allies summoned via crudest boots.

I tried using the Mystic Ally before it became immortal and I was miffed at how quickly it kept dying, so I dropped it fairly quickly. Looking through GDStash, the only equipment that gives +Mystic Ally points is Crudest Boots, and outside the Uliana’s Set, there are barely any items that give +Monk skills. That sadly makes it rather limited in how I can fit the Mystic Ally in a build.

I haven’t seen the new aura yet, but having worked with other pet builds with auras, buffs from multiple pets do not stack.

Thanks for the answer. I was wondering how good a player scaled pet build involving the monk would be (maybe with blade spirits). The Mystic Ally aura is really good now, gives %dmg and OA, armor, phys and pierce resist. Combined with one of the 2 defensive mantras, inner sanctuary and the dmg boost from breath of heaven, it could help pets both offensively and defensively. But, as you say, not many +skills to Monk :o

The seventh class feature is Rogue!

With a total of four different damage types to work with and main skills that emphasize each of these damage types, Rogue can help support a multitude of builds with minimal Skill Point investment compared to other classes. A healing ability that provides flat DA, a projectile that provides ample amount of RR as well as damage reduction, a Cadence-like autoattack that can be transmuted from Physical/Pierce into Acid/Vitality, and a passive which provides Attack and Casting Speed; Rogue can greatly help other classes’ abilities shine. Rogue even has its own player-scaled pet for those like having minions around them, but it is not so great that it is mandatory for those who don’t care for such.

Summoners also are wise to pay attention to this class, as Rogue, along with the Storm and Earth classes, provides predominantly Physical pets with the ability to convert their damage into another type. In this case, Physical damage is converted to Acid damage, and it comes with the added benefit of bringing a chance to Fumble / Impaired Aim simply with their attacks. As we have seen with the Nature + Necrotic pet build, Acid is a nicely-supported pet type in Grim Dawn, with multiple equipment and auras that provide flat Acid or Poison damage. In fact, those who are buying the Fallen Gods expansion will treat themselves to the Ghol’s Malice set, which not only enhances pet Poison capabilities, but summons additional pets upon completing the set. I will be theorycrafting a Ghol’s Malice pet build, which I obviously cannot test but will be glad to share my thoughts for optimizing its abilities.

Build Objective: To showcase one of Grim Quest’s full sets and maximize the Call of the Wild Wolves

Source of RR:
Manticore or Bysmiel’s Command - 28 flat RR
Rogue’s Poison Flask - 30 Poison RR
Plague [Nature’s skil] - 35 Poison RR
Rumor - 30 Poison RR
Aura of Bast pet (Relic) - 10 Poison RR
Total RR = 133 Poison RR

Equipment
Weapon: Divine Strength of the Wild + Divine Cerebus’ Eye
Components: Purified Sale + Imbued Silver
Head: Divine Call of the Wild
Component: Eldritch Mirror
Shoulders: Divine Wisdom of the Wild
Component: Scaled Hide
Hands: Mythical Overlord’s Grip
Component: Ugdenbog Leather
Feet: Mythical Grim Harvest Boots
Component: Spellscorched Plating
Belt: Divine Dementer’s Sacred Leaves
Component: Spellscorched Plating
Pants: Mythical Runebrand Leggings
Chest Armor: Divine Resilience of the Wild
Component: Eldritch Mirror
Amulet: Skillful Amulet with +Nature or +Rogue Skills and Chaos/Pierce Resistance
Component: Aether Soul
Rings: Mythical Yogul’s Ichor X2
Components: Ectoplasm X2
Medal: Divine Talisman of the Wild
Component: Aether Soul
Relic: Sigil of Bast

Devotions: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/nZo81EoN

The Divine Aspect of the Wild set is a 5-piece set that’s modeled after the Beastcaller’s Set. Instead of providing 2 Biarthorns, however, it provides +2 to all Nature skills, which is incredible considering how point-heavy the Mastery is. With this set, the Off-hand, the belt, and the relic providing +all skills to Nature, it’s no secret that you’ll be able to maximize the Call of the Wild skill as well as most of the pet abilities. With Bull bound to the Wolves, you get a heavy AoE ability that works perfectly with the wolves’ lanky frames. The Sylvan Nymph provides full Elemental damage, so we ditch it to use Thorn Sprites for additional Poison damage from a distance. And let’s not forget Force of Nature, which does massive damage - especially when you can convert all Physical damage into another damage type.

Rogue class is there with the Mythical Yugol Rings to complete 100% Physical to Acid conversion and give a second source of RR, but that’s not the only thing it gives. The third node of Envenom provides pets with 6% Attack Damage converted to Health, so even with the low amount of external heals, Wolves have been able to survive difficult battles. The second node provides Poison and Acid and Vitality resistance, which is especially helpful as none of the set items provide that particular resistance. Grace of the Korbyites provides a great low cooldown heal.

If you obtain Pierce resistance in the Amulet, you can use Mythical Tasker and Theo gloves as a way to keep your damage RNG-proof, but please, fix this (look at the Armor value):

Build Objective: To throw as many Eyes of Dreeg at the enemy as possible.

Rogue Poison Gas Bomb - 32 flat RR
Summon Epailos - Torment - 37 Acid RR
Necrotic Primordial Transfer - 25 Acid RR
Rumor - 30 Poison RR
Persephone’s Ring - 10 Poison RR
Total RR - 134 Poison RR

This is the newest version of the Eyes of Dreeg build, and instead of having to rely on equipping the required weapon to obtain our eyes, we can equip it using the Reskill components. The Quillthrower of Dreeg proc is added as a weapon component, and the Eyes of Dreeg proc from the Occultist set is added as a component to the amulet slot.

In addition to the bountiful eyes, the Rogue’s Summon Epailos is heavily invested in this build, including taking the weapon that allows you to summon an additional minion. The main attack of this build outside the eyes is Necrotic’s “Claw of the Beast”, which is used for its quick casting speed and multiple hit applications, making it perfect for proccing devotions such as Eye of the Guardian and Rumor. Rogue’s Poison Gas Bomb is also an excellent skill, blowing into multiple fragments which also provide excellent devotion application.

The final class feature (at least before Fallen Gods) is Crusader!

Gaze upon the sky and be blessed with heavenly strength. The Crusader’s array of skills is nearly wholly focused on the Holy Attribute - in this case, the combination of Fire and Lightning. An auto-attack called Punish, a high WD strike called Condemn, auras centered around Laws, and throwing giant maces that remind you of Thor throwing down the hammer; whatever the Crusader lacks in abilities, it does not lack in thematic fervor. The auras are fairly mundane compared to other classes, and as they are Exclusive abilities, Crusader does not mix well with other classes who are reliant on their Exclusives. What makes this class stand apart then? The Heavenly Strength buff! The Crusader has been bestowed by the Gods of Cairn with such might that it can carry Melee Weapons all other classes require lifting with 2H and lift them easily on its shoulders; the only catch is that it requires you to place a Shield in your Off-hand slot for it to work. The most obvious way to take good advantage of this is to use the 45% Physical Conversion (to either Fire or Lightning) and combine it with a 15% Conversion Shield to get nearly 100% conversion just by using 10% conversion components in both weapon slots. The other interesting way of using this unique ability is combining shield-centric sets with Crusader weapons to bring out the most of that set.

Crusader also brings two player-scaled pet skills into the fray. The first is Phalanx, and unfortunately, ever since the cooldown was increased to 30 seconds, I find this to be an utterly worthless skill without some serious help from item modifiers. There are simply many better uses of skillpoints - whether they be the autoattack skill, the passives, or the second pet skill: Ray of Light. This skill is a true death beam coming from the sky and you can direct it towards enemies using the Pet Attack key. Only recently have they been given stackable Resist Reduction, which made a great skill even better. If there is any reason to play this class, it’s to rain down a column of death beams from above. Rounding out the Crusader’s abiities are a Mirror-like invulnerability skill, a Blitz-like mobility skill, and a circuit breaker that activates on low health. All in all, it’s a well-rounded class that’s only limited by small damage variety and skill point distribution.

Objective: To take advantage of the new Phalanx skill modifiers and incorporate them into a build alongside some Crusader / Oathkeeper designed equipment.

Taken from the video’s description:
"Phalanx is not particularly a great skill in Grimarillion, as even with +8 seconds modifier, the uptime is far too low to justify its middling damage. Additionally, the damage is split between Physical and Lightning damage. It’s possible to convert 100% Lightning to Physical using the Crusader’s Avenger’s Mace, but I instead decided to take advantage of the Crusader / Oathkeeper designed Shield and went into Lightning damage instead.

Since you need a main attacking skill to cover for Phalanx’s shortcomings, I went for Punish + Oathkeeper’s WPS. Thankfully you can cover for both WPS while maintaining good Lightning damage. Ideally, you’d want as close to 200% attack speed as possible, but I covered for as much attack speed in devotions and gearing as I could and I still only get roughly 150% attack speed.

For what it lacks offensively, this build is a tank defensively. With my set-up, you have over 50% Physical Resistance and constant healing from Shattering Smash, Dryad’s Blessing, and Giant’s Blood. The only real downfall is the build’s low Freeze resistance, which can easily be covered by a potion. This build has no problems with Grava’Thul, which is traditionally a Lightning build’s nightmare, but has problems with Moosilauke as you can get chain-frozen by the ice crystals."

The only thing that needs to be addressed is the choice of Exclusive ability. If you are worried about the build’s lack of OA, you can easily take Laws of Justice for the flat OA and additional Crit damage. I decided to go for Laws of Hope to improve the build’s natural Health Regeneration (especially since we’re taking Giant) and more Physical Resistance is always helpful. Either way, I’ve gotten through SR75-76 (including several D3 bosses) with only a few problem Nemeses.

Smite the Unbelievers!

Build Objective: Use the Spellscourge set to convert 100% of Elemental to Physical Damage and combine Devastation and Ray of Heaven for complete death from above!

Sources of RR:
Inferno - 17 Flat Physical RR
Assassin’s Mark - 32 Physical RR
Ring of the Matriarch - 10 Physical RR
Deathstalker - 10 Physical RR
Bombardment - 45% Physical RR (usually around 10-15 stackable RR)
Total RR - ~80 Physical RR

Equipment
Weapon: Mythical Crusader’s Mortal Drama with Spellscourge Bullwark
Components: Seal of Blades + Oleron’s Blood
Head: Spellscourge Visor
Component: Prismatic Diamond
Shoulders: Spellscourge Vanguard
Component: Living Armor
Hands: Mythical Thundertouch Bracers
Feet: Mythical Earthshatter Trends
Belt: Mythical Angel Hair Braid
Pants: Mythical Chausses of Barbaros
Chest Armor: Platemail of Octavius
Component: Chains of Oleron
Amulet: Spellscourge Deflector
Component: Tainted Heart
Rings: Mythical Ring of the Black Matriarch + Seal of the High Priest
Components: Purified Salt + Imbued Silver
Medal: Mythical Combat Medic’s Mark
Component: Tainted Heart
Relic: Deathstalker with 3% OA bonus

Devotions: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/bVAlgz72

I saved likely my favorite Grimarillion build for the end - hope the wait was worth it! As you can see from the picture, it’s a torrent of boulders featuring Crusader’s Bombardment and Arcanist’s Devastation. How do you use Devastation while using Crusader’s Heavenly Strength, you ask? Enter the Spellscourge set: an Elemental to Physical set with the Shield containing a hidden passive that allows you to use Devastation. As the set revolves around the Shield, Crusader’s Mortal Drama goes perfectly with it. This mace wasn’t introduced until one of the later Grimer updates, but its +1 to Bombardment modifier was highly worth the wait.

We take Octavius Chest to complete the 100% Elemental to Physical conversion, so the Fire from both Bombardment and Devastation are fully converted to Physical [Devastation’s Aether damage is converted by the Shield Modifier]. As an additional thanks to the set, both rain abilities also have Weapon damage, so we get some ADCTH and leech with these abilities, as well as our multiple >100% WD item skills. For an extra touch, we take Tree of Life and the Combat Medic medal to give us extra healing when waiting for the bombardment to cool down. If that wasn’t enough, we have Mirror + Iron Skin + 25% CDR + Time Dilation to take as much advantage of invulnerability as possible.

Offensively, we have Ray of Heaven piercing through the skies, and converting both of its damage types to Physical damage maximizes its output. Callidor’s Tempest + Inferno is responsible for applying a large internal Trauma DoT, and Ground Smash is present for both the Chaos resistance and an item skill to proc Time Dilation. Oleron’s Blood is taken for the reduced damage debuff. Devastation has enough cooldown reduction that if the first barrage doesn’t finish them off, it won’t be too long before the second barrage is ready; just remember to use Mirror while using the first barrage and Iron Skin to reduce the waiting time before setting off the second barrage and refresh all of it with Time Dilation.

Hey man, could you post the abilities screenshots without hovering over the skill or add them to grim calc? I’m a new player and it’s kinda difficult to see which one should I take now. Thanks!

Unfortunately, Grimtools does not work on modded classes. If it was, I’d have much less of a need for all these screenshots. I hover my mouse on the most important skills to demonstrate the build’s potential. Most of the classes in my features have enough screenshots from the multitude of builds that you can figure out which skills to soft cap or hard cap and which ones are just one-pointers.

I am glad to help you with any build posted on here. Let me know which build you’re interested in playing and I’ll post the skill point allocation, devotion binding, and anything else that’s not explicitly stated in the screenshots.

Thanks for the reply. I was playing around with nature/necrotic build you recommended in the grimarillion thread but now i’m very curious about the last build (arcanist/crusader) if it’s as fun as you say. Would be great if you could post more info like you mentioned!
Besides that - what is your favorite pet build and could you post something more about it? Thanks.

My favorite part of the Arcanist / Crusader is you have Heaven’s Fury + 2 Bombardment skills so you’re pelting enemies to death from above. The caveat is that you absolutely need the Spellscourge set or else the build doesn’t work at all. Keep that in mind if you want to pursue it.

Crusader Skill layout:
Fully max Heaven’s Fury, Bombardment, & Laws of Valor (the one that gives Crit damage)
Get to 10/10 Hold your Ground, Iron Skin, and Fervor (I have Fervor up to 13/10 but outside of some %damage and speed, this one is not as important)
Divine Fortress and Indestructible I have at 5/10.

Arcanist layouy:
Fully max Devastation & Maiven’s
Get to 12/12 Mirror, Elemental Balance, Inner Focus, and Inferno (the skill next to Callidor’s Tempest)
1 point in everything else, though you can put some extra points in Nullification to reduce the cooldown.

As for favorite pet build, I like the player-scaled pets more than the regular summoner pets. For summoner pets, I like the Nature + Necrotic build as you get the most out of all of your pets, and it’d be interesting to see how well the Ghol’s set goes with it.

I made a point in the Grimarillion thread that I’ll be leveling my favorites further in the game - I’ll definitely have 1 Summoner build, 1 Hybrid (either the Reap Spirit one or the Blight Fiend + Rogue hybrid), and a few player-scaled pets one. In addition to the Bombardment Mage, I like all the 2H gunner builds I’ve made - it’s really hard to limit myself to a few since they all have something interesting.

That’s a bit off puting about the spellscourge set to be honest. I think i’ll stick with nature/necrotic then, could you posting some more info about this one too?
Also any other non-pet build that’s fun and not that gear dependent you can think of?

edit: actually, I started a barb/crusader since the new Grimarillion update is here and i’m having tons of fun with whirlwind, will you be giving it a try? Very curious about a build you’d put together for it.

Out of my current builds, the least gear-dependent ones I have are ones where the conversion is built into the masteries. Champion Mastery’s Army of None is one of my favorite skills because it really feels like an Army and - unlike other skills - feels really rewarding when you overcap the abilities. 100% Lightning to Aether conversion is built into the Storm Mastery, so all you need is a good Physical to Aether weapon and you’re most of the way there.

Any build incorporating the Zenith masteries is going to be fun; Ceno did a wonderful job with these masteries, even if they were designed to be more OP than the regular classes. Since their abilities are very good, they are less gear-dependent than other classes would be, as often weak skills need either gear conversion or massive overcap before they become reliable.

I’d tell you about Oathkeeper and Barbarian, but I’d have to get the expansion first. :stuck_out_tongue: No ETA on when that will happen, and I wouldn’t be able to say anything about the new gear as GDStash won’t be there to give a look into anything related to Barbarian.

I’ll take a look at the zenith masteries then, also is FG needed for barbarian though?
So would recommend going with riftstalker/d3 necro or riftstalker/outrier, which one was more fun to you?

1. FG is indeed necessary for anyone to play the D3 Barbarian class.
  2. I did not make a Riftstalker + D3 Necro build, so I don’t know what you’re referring to. Riftstalker + Outrider is a lot of fun, especially when you get the bonus ability that puts totems all over the place. I haven’t built that one from scratch, so I won’t be of much help when it comes to leveling.
  3. Skeleton Overlord (D3 Necro + GD Necro) Equipment List is completely revamped! I’ll redo the pictures for the skill distribution once I get the opportunity, but Skeleton Overlord is a build I definitely want to test in both xpac content.

I have a few leftover builds that don’t have a class feature, but I want to make sure all the summon pet skills in this game are accounted for:

Build Objective: To make Dracarris feel like a unique and build-defining item while making use of the Core Dweller.

Source of RR:
Black Star of Deceit - 15 flat RR
Earth Ring of Flame - 20 Chaos RR
Eldritch Fire - 35 Chaos RR
Symbol of Solael - 10 Chaos RR
Fiendgaze Tome - 10 Chaos RR
Total RR - 90 Chaos RR

Equipment + Devotions: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/pZrjz0kZ [AoM]
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/YZenLGvN [FG]

Along with Zunimassa Witch Doctor + Storm, this was one of my first build concepts, spanning out to last September. It had served me well getting through initial testing, but multiple nerfs to several items forced me to reimagine this build somewhat. The concept was a simple one: convert 100% of both Physical and Fire damage to Chaos for full Chaos Swarmlings, with help from 22/12 Hellfire Hellhound and tanking assistance from the Core Dweller. Dracarris was first used in DaShiv’s Pyromancer, where he used Demolitionist’s Fire abilities to reliably proc the Hellspawn ability and grant further Fire damage to pets. Here we focus on the Chaos side of it, as thanks to Earth’s buff, we don’t just convert pet Fire to Chaos, but player damage as well. The main skill we use to proc this ability is Earth’s Meteor - an ability with massive flat damage which if we could bring to 16/16 (maybe by reducing Core Dweller investment), we would. Meteor is bound to Time Dilation - the skill cooldown activates when the Meteor lands, so as the Meteor descends, you can activate abilities like Blood of Dreeg and Core Healing and have their cooldowns reduced as well.

This build gets a nice buff with Fallen Gods: As you can see in the screenshots, you only have around 2650 OA with permanent buffs + Blood of Dreeg; that’s not very reliable to Crit bosses and 25 RR is bound to Crits (Black Star and Fiendgaze Tome). The Mystical Vestments of Severed Faith gives you an extra 100 flat OA, and while you do lose about 140% Pet Damage, that is partially made up by the 21 flat Chaos damage given to your pets. Pierce Resistance is hard to come by on this build, so the new Chestpiece is especially welcome since it grants that resistance. As an additional bonus, you gain about 100% Chaos damage yourself, which will definitely help getting the kills necessary to proc Hellspawn. Now that Fiendgaze Tome converts 100% Cold to Chaos damage, you can also use the Bonescavenger Gloves for even higher player OA and more pet damage to partially offset the loss of Fiendmaster. As for other equipment, the nerf to Voidwhisper rings means that you now have to equip both rings in order to have full 100% Physical to Chaos conversion; Peerless Eye is surprisingly one of the best options for the amulet even with the boon of All Skills amulets you have access to; and the head gear, while surprising to see from a pet build, has the best combination of resistances, damage bonuses, and skill points - even more valuable as the usual sources of Satyr craft are all taken.

Build Objective: To take Blade Spirit to its maximum potential while adding some Fire Chakram for more whirling blades.

Sources of RR:
Elemental Storm - 32 Elemental RR
Demon Hunter Entangling Shot - 33 Elemental RR
Solael’s Witchblade - 23 Fire RR
Total: 88 Fire RR

Equipment and Devotions: Demonblade, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.3) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator (Diablo 3 Classes Mod)

The previous Blade Spirit build used the Unseeing Assassin set to maximize Blade Spirit damage while converting all of its damage to Pierce. However, after various Grim Dawn updates, the equipment that granted those conversions was no more, leaving the build in limbo. Thankfully, as the D3 mod kept being updated, more equipment supporting Chakram was introduced, giving us an opportunity to invest in both Chakram and Blade Spirits.

This build is definitely a kiting caster, letting Blade Spirits and Chakram doing the work while you only have to worry about letting the RR stick to the opponent. Due to being a single RR class, you run into problems with very high-resist enemies like Shar’Zul, but with two healing skills, it’s easy to mitigate the damage. Additionally, Blade Barrier is a very nice fit to this build, as all of the damage is coming from the Blades anyway, so the immobility of the skill doesn’t dumpster your DPS.

Build Objective: To maximize two different classes’ worth of player-scaled pets, taking one of each as close to 22/12 as possible.

Source of RR:
Elemental Storm - 32 Elemental RR
Frailty - 30 Cold RR
Rumor - 23 Cold RR
Etherial Veil - 18 Cold RR
Magic Mirror - 40% Elemental RR
Total RR - 103 - 124 Cold RR

Equipment
Weapon: Mythical The Barber with Mythical Silver Mirror
Components: Seal of the Night + Seal of Might
Head: Mythical Archmage’s Vicalyke
Shoulders: Mythical Cartosian Scrolls
Hands: Mythical Wilken’s Reach
Feet: Tal Rasha’s Stride
Belt: Mythical Jang’s Envelopment
Pants: Mythical Defiler Cuisses
Chest Armor: Tal Rasha’s Relentless Pursuit
Component: Titan Plating
Amulet: Polydegmon
Component: Bloodied Crystal
Rings: Mythical Hand of Hollow Whispers + Mythical Band of Souls
Components: Purified Salt + Imbued Silver
Medal: Regular / Mythical Mark of Divinity
Component: Black Tallow
Relic: Etherial Veil with 3% OA bonus

Devotions: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/m2360JnN

The Wizard was a class I was slightly stumped on how to use its pets to their advantage. Elemental damage and no stackable RR meant I had to pick something that synergized well with it while not hogging too many skillpoints. Magic Weapon, Astral Presence, Diamond Skin, Unstable Anomaly, Energy Armor and Archon are all wonderful passives for the Wizard to incorporate, and that doesn’t go into its two pet skills. Once Grimer introduced the Kunai relics as well as multiple D3 equipment, multiple +1 to Wizard skills gear made playing Wizard much more enjoyable. The items shown above paved the way to get 22/12 Magic Mirror, chosen because the items synergized together much better than going for 22/12 Hydra. It just so happened that the remaining slots made it possible to get Bone Spirit to 21/12, and since you only need Bone Armor + second node, Frailty, and Final Service, you have many skill points to spread among the Wizard’s multiple skills.

It was honestly a bit surprising I was able to get this concept to work as neither Wizard nor D3 Necromancer have any healing abilities and there is no ADCTH to be found. Instead, I take advantage of both classes’ great circuit breakers (Unstable Anomaly is like Blast Shield with massive flat absorption and Final Service is like Menhir’s Will without the weapon requirement) and all healing devotion procs and use Wizard’s great CDR to its fullest potential. Giant’s Blood is attached to Unstable Anomaly because it is the most potent healing with the longest cooldown - you want to make sure the massive regen happens in conjuction with the massive flat damage absorption. Dryad is bound to Meteor as it is extremely reliable. If all else fails, Mark of Divinity gives you one last stand to flee for the other survivability skills to cool down.

As for offense, Mirror Image is great for a 22/12 skill, but you must be wary that you have to wait for the previous images to wear off before casting it again or else 3 of the images die off and you’re left with a wasted cast and 1 Mirror Image. Hydra is okay, but the fact that they are immobile make it difficult for a player to use while constantly on the move. Maximum Bone Spirit is cast by pressing the button four at a time - any more than 4 and the first Spirit you summoned blows up on command - not bad if you’re intending on attacking with your pets only. All of this leads to a bit of spacial preparation so that you have your Hydras and Bone Spirits ready, but the payoff is more than worth it.