TPOM's Grimarillion Build Compendium, Featuring Pets

Attention all citizens of Cairn!
For all pet lovers, it’s a day of rejoicing!
For the enemies of Cairn, THE DAY OF REKTONING IS AT HAND!

To complement my Grimarillion guide, I have been field testing builds that can serve as a jumping point for players who like to see concepts that work before jumping in. As is my style, the theme of this compendium is pets! Pet armies, small companions, debuff pets, and mercenary pets; the more the merrier. I have tested nearly every class and every damage type in an effort to see how certain skills synergize with the generous gift of classes Grimarillion provides us. All in all, I have around 20 builds (thank GDStash for the ability to quickly test certain ideas) that I have outfitted and tested. For those who like to whack enemies themselves and not have minions doing your dirty work, I also have multiple player-scaled pet builds that combine pets with major damage skills; Elemental Seekers, Raise the Dead, and Unknown Soldier can be a lot of fun when you combine them with a player focused build, not to mention the juicy player-scaled pets from the mod classes!

Summoner builds (the ones that are scaled to pet damage) are built differently from standard main skill builds in that in addition to focusing on survivability and resists, you have an additional column for pet stats: pet Health, pet damage, pet Crit, pet Speed, and pet Resists. Neglecting pet stats in favor of player resists leads to Campaign slog where pets have trouble bursting through boss heals. Neglecting pet resists in favor of damage kills off your pets before major damage can be done, leading to the player running like a headless chicken. It is a very delicate balance, but with new pet equipment, much more +All Skills options, and the ability to equip weapon components to jewelry (Imbued Silver and Purified Salt are some of the best components for pet builds - pound for pound - in the game), pet builds are more than capable of handling the extra difficulty Grimmest throws at you.

As I do want to give each and every build its proper explanation, I will order my builds by featuring classes. Grimarillion features multiple classes that give bonuses above and beyond what vanilla Grim Dawn gives us, and their skills are perfectly aligned to provide new pet opportunities, or even take a traditional pet build and take it to heights they have not seen before! The OP will serve as a table to contents - if there’s a build in particular you want to see without going through pages of posts, follow the links in the intro.

For testing my builds in the MC, I use the Grimmest setting “Misanthropic” (the level 3 setting) - I found that to be the best indicator as to how they would face in SR65-66, anything further than that - especially up to 11! - just makes the whole run a slog while bringing my laptop to its knees. SR65-66 has been a decent standard in Grim Dawn builds as it provides plenty of good Legendary and MI loot while giving enough leeway to provide more creativity than SR75-76 would require. The Diablo 3 Nemeses in SR are tough enough even in SR65-66 that you’ll find a good challenge no matter what you play.

Links to Pet Builds:

Summoner Builds:
Witch Doctor + Hunting - Zunimassa’s Tiki Tribe - Updated for 2020!
Damage Type: Cold, Acid
Pets - Tiki Warriors, Zombie Dogs

D3 Necromancer + GD Necromancer - Skeleton Overlord - Updated for 2020!
Damage Type: Vitality
Pets - Command Skeletons, Skeleton Archers, Raise Skeletons, Bone Golem with Blood Transmuter [32 Skeletons in Total!]

Nature + Rogue - Rabid Wolves - New for 2020!
Damage Type: Acid
Pets - Call of the Wild, Force of Nature, Thorn Sprites, Sigil of Bast Relic, Bysmiel’s Command

Nature + Storm - The Winter Nymph - New for 2020!
Damage Type: Cold, Elemental
Pets - Summon Nymph, Winter Sprite, Force of Nature, Avatar of Bast

Earth + Storm - Helio’s Core - New for 2020!
Damage Type: Fire, Chaos
Pets: Summon Core Dweller, Winter Sprite, Shavo’s Relic, Helio’s Sun Nymph, Helio’s Fire Webweavers

Spirit + Dream - Nightmares from Another World - New for 2020!
Pets: Summon Liche King, Summon Nightmare, Skeletal Soldiers, Summon Outrider

Hybrid Builds:
GD Necromancer + Spirit - Dark Divination - Updated for 2020!
Damage Type: Aether, Vitality
Pets - Reap Spirit

Witch Doctor + Shaman - Insect Invasion
Pets - Spider Queen X 2, Corpse Spiders, Primal Instinct, Eldritch Webweaver, Eldritch Talon, Blightshard Amulet, Summon Briarthorn, Summon Gargantuan

Rogue + GD Necromancer - Bright Friends - Updated for 2020!
Pets - Summon Blight Fiend, Reap Spirit

Occultist + Earth - Void Sprits
Damage Type: Chaos
Pets - Summon Core Dweller, Summon Hellhound, Black Scourge, Bound Spirits

Player-scaled Pet Builds:
Champion + Shaman - Ulto’s Army - Updated for 2020!
Damage Type: Lightning
Pets - Army of None, Raise the Dead

Dream + Riftstalker - Master of Rifts - New for 2020!
Damage Type: Chaos
Pets - Astral Rift, Raise the Dead

Outrider + Riftstalker - Turrets of Shrapnel - Updated for 2020!
Damage Type: Pierce
Pets - Arcane Assault I + II, Raise the Dead, Unknown Soldier

Soldier + Dream - Blood Knight’s Resurrected Army! - Updated for 2020!
Pets - Blood Knight Pendant, Soul of Narzan, Raise the Dead

Witch Doctor + Nature - Soul Gatherer of Peace
Damage Type: Cold
Pets - Slaved Soul, Manitou, Kodoma, Ethereal Veil

Demon Hunter + Elementalist - Rain of Beasts
Damage Type: Cold
Pets - Elemental Seekers, Tongue of Flame

Wizard + Elementalist - Arcane Hydra Tamer - Updated for 2020!
Damage Type: Fire
Pets - Hydra (Wizard Skill), Hydra (Item Skill), Mirror Image, Elemental Seekers, Tongue of Flame

Rogue + Outrider - Sentient Eyes
Pets - Quillthrower of Dreeg, Amulet of Dreeg, Summon Epalios (with Transmuter), Deathstalker

Crusader + Demolitionist - Fervent Holy Warriors
Damage Type: Fire + Lightning
Pets - Phalanx, Heaven’s Fury, Flame Tongue

Crusader + Arcanist - Smiting from the Heavens
Damage Type: Physical
Pets - Heaven’s Fury, Deathstalker

Nightblade + Demon Hunter - Blades from the Shadows
Damage Type: Pierce, Bleeding
Pets - Blade Spirit, Nemesis Relic, Unknown Soldier

Monk + Crusader - Sacred 2 Seraphim - New for 2020!
Damage Type: Fire, Lightning
Pets - Mystic Ally, Archangel (X2), Phalanx, Heaven’s Fury

Barbarian + Defense - Colossal Defender - New for 2020!
Damage Type: Physical
Pets - Ancient Commander

Oathkeeper + Champion - Empiryon’s Finest Guardians - New for 2020!
Damage Type: Fire
Pets - Summon Guardian of Empiryon

Spirit + Demolitionist - Tim Follin’s Rage of Agrivix - New for 2020!
Damage Type: Aether, Lightning
Pets - Agrivix Set Wisps

4 Likes

First class feature is Storm!

Storm has a huge number of benefits for pet builds as well as players seeking advantages in other ways. Storm has two sources of full damage conversion: 100% Cold to Vitality and 100% Lightning to Aether. Unlike most group damage conversions, these abilities affect pets as well. I would advise against running a pet build with Lightning to Aether conversion because the only group pet that specializes in Lightning [Occultist’s Raven] has a large Electrocute component that can’t be converted and Occultist is much better suited for Elemental than Aether anyway. The Cold to Vitality conversion, however, is a huge gold mine. Necromancer’s Reap Spirit and Bonescavenger Grips both contain pets that have dual Cold and Vitality damage, and converting all of the Cold damage to Vitality turns these pets into powerhouses. Storm also helps pets that primarily deal Physical damage: Storm provides at least 25% Physical to Cold or Lightning damage, assuming you at least soft cap its respective abilities. Cold conversion works wonders with the Winter King sword, and we all know the wrath of Lightning builds with Spark of Ultos and Glyph of Kelphat’Zoth rings. You can even take both skills and combine them with the Black Pendant rings (easily crafted at the Satyr in Devil’s Crossing) to get a full Elemental conversion build focusing on Cold and Lightning. With generous RR in not only Cold and Lightning, but Vitality and Aether as well and you have a wealth of possibilities to choose from.

The Storm Wisp is used largely as a defensive buff-bot. Its damage is Lightning, which helps Lightning pets even more, but its real utility is in its second ability which grants Elemental daamge and a large Elemental damage boost. Unfortunately, it makes the Wisp underwhelming if you’re going for Vitality or Aether, but considering there are already a good number of buffs / passives / RR to invest points into, leaving the Wisp out for these types of builds is not a big deal.

Even if you’re not playing a Summoner build, Storm has multiple passives which will greatly help you out. Storm provides a great Spirit boost for builds seeking an off-hand, and if your build’s main skill consumes a lot of Energy, its passive instantly replenishes part of your Energy once it reaches a threshhold. It’s the equivalent of using a potion without needing to use potions at all! The second ability is nearly just as good, as softcapping it gives you 10% DA as well as 30% Pierce resistance. The bottom skill provides an Energy shield that drastically raises your Elemental resistance on a short-term basis. It’s excellent if you’re going up against enemies that relish in their own RR abilities.

Storm is part of the GQ club, which means that players can roll for +1 to class bonus at the Satyr. If you’re not playing Beastcaller’s Lightning pets, this is a substantial boon as medals amount to a free class skills boost. For nearly all instances where I do a Satyr roll, I prefer the suffix “of the Wild;” Elemental Resistance and DA are highly coveted bonuses even for non-Summoner builds. Of course, with enough rolls, you’ll find a medal that gives you the class bonus and a suffix that sufficiently helps your character.

My builds focus on more interesting aspects, but if you’d like a standard pet build that can easily tear through content, standard pet builds in Vanilla can easily be outfitted to feature the Storm class.

Cold Pets: Nature + Storm: Winter King Sword for 50% conversion, Storm buff for 25% conversion, and 2 Black Pendant Rings to bring the total conversion to 82% Physical to Cold. Frostdread Curiass adds additional flat Cold damage to pets and make sure you craft a medal with Nature prefix to get additional pet %OA.

Lightning Pets: Shaman + Storm: Spark of Ultos for 25% conversion, Storm buff for 25% conversion, and 2 Glyph of Kelphat’Zoth rings to further increase pet Lightning damage. Voidmancer’s Cord is necessary as it provides a chance for huge Lightning damage. Shaman is more suited for this combination as the two rings give bonuses to Primal Spirit and you won’t have the luxury of bonus skill points like you would have with the Black Pendant rings. Nature can do this job as well - use Mantle of the Patron for Shoulder equipment if you’re not using Beastcaller’s.

Build Objective: Turn Witch Doctor and its Zunimassa Set into a veritable horror.

Source of RR:
Piranhas - 28 flat RR
Witch Doctor’s Mass Confusion - 36% Cold & Acid RR
Hunting’s Study Prey - 30% Elemental & Acid RR
Rumor - 23% Cold RR, 30% Acid RR
Mythical Persephone’s Ring - 10% Cold & Acid RR
Spear’s Study Prey Modifier - 12% Elemental RR
Total RR - 138 Cold RR, 133 Acid RR

Equipment
Weapon: Divine Queen Zenobia’s Spear
Components: Seal of Might
Off-Hand: Mythical Zunimassa’s String of Skulls
Component: Seal of Might
Head: Mythical Zunimassa’s Helm
Component: Living Armor
Shoulders: Mythical Fiendflesh Mantle
Hands: Mythical Zunimassa’s Finger Wraps
Component: Ugdenbog Leather
Feet: Mythical Fiendflesh Greaves
Belt: Divine Pythia’s Bindings
Component: Spellscorched Plating
Pants: Mythical Zunimassa’s Chausses
Component: Scaled Hide
Chest Armor: Mythical Zunimassa’s Marrow
Component: Titan Plating
Amulet: Skillful Amulet
Component: Aether Soul
Rings: Divine Persephone’s Ring + Skillful Ring
Components: Royal Topaz + Ectoplasm
Medal: Dreeg Mark of Chills
Component: Black Tallow
Relic: Bysmiel’s Domination (3% DA bonus)

Devotions
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/0V07YBr2

Devotion Bindings:
Rumor to Tiki Warriors
Whirlpool to Zombie Dogs
Shephard’s Call to Mass Paranoia
Howl of Mogdrogen to Study Prey
Harp to Swampland Attunement

Zunimassa’s has received numerous nerfs and has become somewhat of a joke: an overabundance of Cold and Vitality resistance while lacking any other resistances, barely any pet speed, percent bonuses to Physical, Acid, and Fire damage (what?) and only +1 to Witch Doctor when other D3 full sets give +2. That being said, I wanted to find some way to show off the set, and thankfully, Hunting Mastery was there to patch up what I needed.

Normally it’s not very wise to use two damage types, especially with pet builds, but Cold and Poison are naturally paired together with devotions and items, and with Zombie Dogs doing primarily Cold damage and Dreeg’s Mark of Chills providing 100% Fire to Cold conversion, using the two damage types together made perfect sense. I was looking for a second Mastery that provided RR to both types & healing without using many skill points. Occultist was the first choice, but it would have interfered too much with the equipment choices. Hunting Mastery made the perfect compliment, adding Energy Regen, a great heal, summoner OA, pet Health, and valuable secondary resistances, all while allowing us to gear primarily towards giving +All Skills through the Skillful Ring + Amulet combo.

Zunimassa’s Set gives some, but not many, bonuses to Zombie Dogs, so I let the set focus on those pets as well as the Tiki Army; even without other pets, the two are great for hunting down enemies, and with your huge pet %Health, you have little worries about them dying frequently. The player’s health is not too shabby either; even with no Stun Resistance, over 40% Physical Resistance (which goes to 70% when Bysmiel’s Domination buff is running!), Spirit Walk, and frequent healing through Herbal Remedy makes it capable of tanking whatever comes through it. Resistances are tight all around, but once Grimarillion is updated with the proper resistances on Spellscorched Plating, you can swap your Augments around to give you more Aether and Chaos resistances.

Pierce the Vessel gives you and your pets 15% OA and a 1.15 total damage buff after RR, but it comes at a steep cost of 210 Energy / second. We take devotions such as Harp, Harvestman’s Scythe, & Leviathan to increase our passive Energy Regeneration, but Witch Doctor’s passive provides 60% Energy Regeneration all by itself, and Hunting provides an additional 25% when we use a Spear. This gives us a total of over 150 Energy Regeneration, which is perfectly suitable for running Pierce the Vessel as long as you occasionally turn it off while you’re moving around to get your Energy back on track before the next Harp buff.

Build Objective: To make the most of the Champion’s Army of None ability. Full pet uptime and maximum damage by converting most of its damage into one damage type.

Source of RR:
Raise the Dead - 24 flat RR
Raging Tempest - 35 Lightning RR
Champion Aura - 36 Elemental RR
Arcane Bomb - 35 Lightning RR
Total RR - 130 Lightning RR

Equipment
Weapon: Mythical Ultos’ Stormseeker
Components: Seal of Skies
Head: Mythical Ultos’ Hood
Component: Eldritch Mirror
Shoulders: Mythical Ulto’s Spaulders
Hands: Mythical Purging Touch
Feet: Mythical Stormtitan Trends
Belt: Mythical Storm Shepherd
Pants: Mythical Stormcage Legguards
Chest Armor: Mythical Ultos Curaiss
Amulet: Mythical Ulto’s Gem
Component: Seal of Annihilation
Rings: Mythical Glyph of the Storm Witch X2
Components: Bloodied Crystal X2
Medal: Satyr Craft with +1 to Champion Skills and suffix “of the Wild”
Component: Tainted Heart
Relic: Mogdrogen’s Ardor with 3% DA

Devotions: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/L2JGOKDV

Army of None! This skill was showcased as one of the first builds in this compendium with piling as many +skills to Champion as possible. Now, gone are the easy +all skills, gone is the Storm class with 100% Lightning to Aether, and gone are the weapon components in jewelry. What’s in since the compendium started are the Shattered Realms and a new level of challenges. I needed to find a way to maximize the Army’s damage - Physical, Lightning and Aether damage are hard to combine into a single type, but one class has just the right conversions to make it work:

Enter the Shaman! The Ultos hammer converts 50% Physical to Lightning. The Amulet converts 10%, and Stormcaller’s Pact converts 15%; the two rings and belt combined to convert 100% Aether to Lightning damage. Unfortunately, the Army of None pets are not invincible, so Nemesis level enemies can easily wipe the entire army if you’re using it as a main skill. By using the full Ultos set and Primal Strike, you can clear anything that the Army pets don’t clear. The Ultos set is also blessed with CDR, and with Time Dilation right next to Spear of the Heavens, you have more than enough to be able to summon the maximum of 15 Army pets.

Shaman and Ulto’s set carry this build, for all it’s strengths and shortcomings. Pile on Savagery stacks on picked-off individuals, and when you have 4-5 stacks, start Primal Striking away. Champion provides 50% Crit damage (to add to Stormcaller Pact’s 50% Crit damage), Health regeneration to take advantage of Giant’s Blood, and Retaliation damage to provide decent Lightning retaliation alongside Champion’s Earthshatter passive with 500% Weapon Damage. This build is SR65-66 capable, but expect your health bar to go on a wild ride between Wendigo Totem, ADCTH & Ghoul, and passive regen coupled with Giant’s Blood. Army of None is still a fine skill to use, but with Zenith on permanent hiatus, it’ll be hard to bring the Champion class to the glory it had in early Grimarillion.

Second class feature is Riftstalker!

The above two screenshots sum up Riftstalker’s potential for craziness: when you have a 25% to have your next crit have 150% extra Crit damage, you throw as many bodies at the enemy as possible and have the Crit damage add up. The buff that grants that Crit damage is great on its own, as it grants the player (and pets) flat OA, DA, and Total Speed. In fact, the buff is only one of three abilities that grant Total Speed: Riftward totems + Warp autoattack (if you’re playing a Melee build) also grant Total Speed.

Riftstalker’s damage capabilities are in three damage types: Pierce, Aether, & Chaos. Chaos immediately conjures up images of Witching Hour destruction + Voidwhisper Band, and essentially replaces Occultist as the Chaos pet support of choice (assuming you’re not making use of double Ravens, that is). Aether grants a new world of possibiitiy to pet builds, as there were no ways to give pets Aether damage in the vanilla game; Grimarillion, however, does have a few classes where pets specialize in Aether damage, and I’ll show a brief sample of one in the example builds at the bottom of this post. Pierce damage is essentially limited to player-scaled builds, where the potential for conversion - and with it, the number of pets available to you - is much greater.

Riftward Totems are a treasure of boosts to both player and pets, as for a mere 24 Skill points, you and your pets get the gift of a massive amount of flat damage (75 Chaos damage at 12/12 is the same as Hellfire’s 75 Chaos damage at 22/12), great percentage damage boost (120% at 12/12, 180% if you’re playing Pierce), and Total Speed. These totems are like Wendigo Totems in the sense that they need enemies near it to activate and grant the abilities, so make sure you are built tanky enough to reap the benefits. To compliment the totems is the level 1 skill Detach, which grants -34% stackable RR to the three damage types at 12/12. At Mastery level 40 is a great passive that grants Aether + Chaos resistance; there is nothing that pet builds need at Mastery level 50, which grants the player necessary skill points to invest in the other class.

Zenith classes - thanks to the wonderful Grimarillion devs - are represented in the Satyr craft, and you can craft jewelry + Chest piece that grants +1 to Riftstalker. The bonus that comes with the craft? CDR! That’s right, CDR - one of the most highly sought-out bonuses to get - is packaged with the Riftstalker class, which means you can stuff even more CDR in your rings + medals that you couldn’t get in Vanilla. You thought the fun ended there? The Zenith mod - crafted by Ceno - stuffed additional bonuses in Mastery leveling, and no points for guessing that Riftstalker grants even more CDR just by leveling your character. Just by getting to level 40 Mastery and making one Satyr craft with + Riftstalker skills and you have as much CDR as an off-hand. If your other class has a main-skill nuke that does major damage in one of these three types and has a long cooldown, Riftstalker is sure to help that class enormously.

An example build template to follow for easy playing is Riftstalker + D3 Necromancer. D3 Necromancer has a Level 50 buff that gives pets 100% Physical to Aether conversion, and Riftstalker compliments the pets wonderfully through the above skills. D3 Necro has Frailty to provide flat RR, so you have the freedom to build around Aether damage as you’d like. 2-pc Rathma set grants your pets 100% to all damage and 20% Crit damage. I’d probably go Chest and gloves as the Chest piece gives you 5% DA and there’s not nearly as much competition for pet builds in the glove department. Shoulders and Boots can be Fiendflesh for the nice damage absorption, Head is Beastcaller’s Cowl as the Physical damage is converted. For relic I’d go with Menhir’s Bastion for the nice AoE Heal + flat damage boost. Amulet, Rings, and Weapon I’d go all out and get as many +All Skills as you can get while maintaining your resistances, as the amount of Skeletons you get increases while overcapping the skill. Medal I’d go for either Satyr craft with Riftstalker bonus or Mythical Combat Medic’s Mark depending on whether I think the pets need more heals or not.

Devotion Set-up for Riftstalker / D3 Necro Aether pets

I’d highly recommend the above devotion set-up as you get Tree of Life for healing you and your pets, Ishtak for survivability and flat Physical damage (and the CDR you have lets you proc this often), and a good smattering of Health, DA, and resistances so you can breathe a bit easier with your equipment.

Flat damage, Total Speed, Flat OA, great RR, a passive that grants rare resistances (including Stun resistance), passive CDR just by leveling the Mastery and the chance to get massive Crit damage, all within a reasonable amount of skill point allocation? Let’s get some pets and blow this baby wide open.

Gazers are always watching

Build Objective: To combine Dream’s Astral Rift with Riftstalker’s Riftstorm to provide the ultimate master of Rifts

Sources of RR:
Raise the Dead or Tip the Scales - 24 flat RR
Detach - 34 Chaos RR
Trace of Clairvoyance - 30 Chaos RR
Eldritch Fire - 35 Chaos RR
Divine Arburing - 12 Chaos RR
Total RR - 135 Chaos RR

Equipment
Weapon: Divine Moros Nyx
Components: Seal of Blades
Head: Fettan Mask
Shoulders: Divine Mantle of the Pythia
Hands: Mythical Voidsteel Gauntlets
Feet: Mythical Golemborn Greaves
Belt: Divine Bindings of Pythia
Pants: Mythical Arcane Harmony Leggings
Component: Ancient Armor Plate
Chest Armor: Divine Robes of the Pythia
Amulet: Divine Amulet of Morpheus
Rings: Divine Arburing + Divine Disposition
Medal: Satyr Craft with +1 to Riftstalker Skills and suffix “of the Wild”
Relic: Serenity with 3% DA bonus

Astral Rift was a recent addition when the Dream Class was revamped. They are large, immortal eyes that follow the player and attack with both an AoE ripple attack and a Doom Bolt like attack. The Divine Pythia’s set grants one additional summon to Astral Rift, but the headpiece converts 100% Chaos damage to Vitality. To properly use it with Riftstalker, I had to use the Divine Moros Nyx which converts 100% Vitality to Chaos. Fortunately, the Divine Amulet of Morpheus also provides an additional summon as well as +3 to the skill. Unfortunately, there are no other ways to provide bonus points to this skill, so instead we use Fettan Mask, Pythia’s belt, and Serenity to provide additional bonus skills to Dream class. You need a basic attack to go along with your Rifts, so I chose Distortion Wave as the Weapon provides additional 45% Weapon Damage.

Riftstalker’s Riftstorm is a huge Chaos AoE that provides damage every second and have 75% innate Crit Damage. This in combination with Riftstalker’s innate 150% Crit damage (25% chance per Crit) and Dying God’s Crit damage to make up for the build’s lack of Crit damage. Detach provides great stackable Chaos RR and is wonderful at proccing Raise the Dead Skeletons which are now fully Chaos. Defensively, Riftstalker provides Aether + Chaos resistance as well as some secondary resistances.

How does this build survive without a healing skill? Bat and Tip the Scales are fully converted to Chaos and have large ADCTH components. Dryad is bound to Psionic Strike (which provides flat Chaos bonuses, which in this case applies to Distortion Wave) to get 10% heal every proc. Combined with bountiful ADCTH and over 195% Cast Speed with Dying God activated, and we have a build that clears SR65-66 with ease. 24/16 Astral Rift and 15/12 Riftstorm provide huge AoE damage, and Riftstalker’s innate CDR combined with the staff helps offset Riftstorm’s large cooldown.

Build Objective: To reliably summon Black Scourge on Enemy Death and give them enough oomph that they can feel like a viable addition to the build.

Source of RR:
Manticore - 28 flat RR
Detach - 34 Chaos RR
Primordial Transfer - 20 Chaos RR
Eldritch Fire - 35 Chaos RR
Symbol of Solael - 10 Chaos RR
Total RR - 117 Chaos RR

Equipment

Grimtools below has almost everything covered for equipment. The only things missing are Persephone’s Ring & Eurydice’s Wedding Band for rings and Royal Diamond for amulet component. The rings are taken for the extra DA and Elemental Resistance - both rings definitely need Elemental Resistance, as can be seen by the amulet component selection.

Equipment and Devotions: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/RZRGoP9N

A Mastery with innate CDR alongside a Mastery with innate ADCTH: combine the two and you have all of Cairn’s power in your hands. Necrotic’s innate ACDTH is pretty crazy; even at only 40 Mastery, it has 24% which is more than most builds get with full emphasis on leeching. I decided to take full advantage of this by using a main skill that emphasizes Weapon Damage: Warp. Warp is a Shadow-Strike like skill that hits with 150% Weapond Damage with both weapons and has no Cooldown, so the lack of initial Attack Speed is hardly relevant. Warp also comes with a nice %All Damage and flat Aether damage boost, and with Riftstalker’s innate Aether to Chaos conversion, you get full benefits of using it. The Aether to Chaos conversion is also why I took Raise the Dead constellation - I bound it to Warp to ensure that they will rise as you’re in the heat of battle. Dying God’s Health drain is no issue with as much ACDTH as you have, but make sure you’re only using it if you have a lot of enemies to replenish your Health; otherwise it will be a mere Constitution drain.

Necrotic class is mainly taken for its ADCTH, but it also has multiple great passives worth taking up. Situational Awareness grants the player 15% CDR at softcap. Foreknowledge gives the player 100% All damage and flat OA at softcap. Unadulterated Power gives over 100% Chaos damage, 4% OA, and 15% Physical damage converted to Chaos, making good use of the flat Physical damage from Beastcaller’s Helm. Necrotic Shade doesn’t just give 15% Physical Resistance, it gives 21% Armor Absorption as well. All this, for much fewer skill point investment than the Occultist example shown in the Grimtools.

Now for pets: Black Scourge is an item that really is only worth investing in if you can dual-wield it to get double the pets on death. The scourges are not strong enough to take out enemies with only one scepter, but having two gives it more of a Chaos killer type of deal. Riftward totems grant total speed for you and your pets; add Beastcaller’s helm and Bysmiel’s Domination in the mix and your pets will be plenty charged to take advantage of the 25% of 150% Crit damage. Regular Will of Bysmiel Voidfiends are here to join in the party again.

To show how much both player and pets benefit from the mutual equipment and devotions:

• Riftward Totem: 63 flat Chaos damage, 120% Chaos damage, 15% Total Speed
  • Call of the Beast: 250% to All Damage, 30% Attack Speed
  • Inhuman Reflexes: 176 flat OA, 16% Total Speed, 25% to get 150% Crit Damage
  • Battlecry (from Barbaros Pants and “of Kings” boots): 150% to All Damage and 10% Total Speed
  • Hungering Void: 289% Chaos Damage, 40% Crit Damage, 10% Total Speed and even more for pets
  • Bysmiel’s Domination: flat Chaos damage and 30% Physical Resistance for the player + flat Chaos damage, 200% to All Damage, and 60% Total Speed for pets

If you’re looking to make a similar build that’s not a meme, you can always replace the Black Scourge scepters with Fangs of Chthon and replace the pet gear with Chaos gear; 100% Pierce and Aether to Chaos will load up in flat damage, and the amount of ACDTH you’ll have is nothing short of bonkers.

Build Objective: Use the Riftstalker + Outrider combination skill to summon maximum Riftward totems. Thanks to conversion, this build maximizes the player-scaled pets from the Devotion map.

Sources of RR:
Detach - 36 Pierce RR
Divine Star of Elysium - 10 Pierce RR
Assassin’s Blade - 32 Pierce RR
Total RR - 102 Pierce RR

Equipment
Weapon: Mythical Silverbolt
Components: Seal of Blades
Head: Mythical Valdun’s Hat
Component: Prismatic Diamond
Shoulders: Elite Solael Combatant Spaulders
Hands: The Shadow’s Grasp
Feet: The Shadow’s Heels
Belt: Mythical Pack of Treacherous Means
Pants: Mythical Bladeguard Leggings
Chest Armor: Mythical Valdun’s Jacket
Component: Royal Amethyst
Amulet: Divine Blessing of the Gods
Rings: Divine Star of Elysium + Divine Apollo’s Will
Medal: Satyr Craft with +1 to Outrider Skills and suffix “of the Bonelancer”
Relic: Effigy of the Panther with 3% DA bonus

Devotions: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/pZrqDe1V

The devotions themselves are unchanged from AoM, but how they are bound are very different:
Raise the Dead to Detach
Assassin’s Blade to Suppressant (Outrider’s WPS with 50% chance of activating)
Unknown Soldier to Riftblade (the 100% on Crit makes it super easy to summon these)
Bat to Arcane Assault I or II (I think both guns are identical)

Silverbolt was given a big boost with the advent of Grim Dawn Patch 1.1.6.0, making this the perfect time to bring this build up to date. Not only does it now give +3 to all Skills (the only weapon in the game to do so), but it is now 100% Armor Piercing; with that, you don’t have to worry about maximizing Armor Piercing, freeing up the amulet slot and getting a total of +4 to All Skills. With Fallen God’s general Attributes change, we take Divine Blessing of the Gods for the Elemental Resist, huge flat DA, and +1 to all skills, and use the other equipment slots for large DA benefits. That way, we invest a large amount of Attribute Points into Cunning for the OA benefits and close to 500% bonus Pierce damage you get with over 1,000 Cunning. The bountiful number of bonus skill points gives you a huge benefit especially with the Outrider class, as now you can take the Arcane Assault Guns to 15/10 and not have to worry about shortchanging your passives or other active skills.

As with the first iteration of this build, the focus is using Mythical Belt of Treacherous Means and the Riftstalker + Outrider bonus skill on Outrider’s side to convert nearly all of the Arcane Assault Guns’ damage into Pierce. The devotions are unchanged from before - we take both Unknown Soldier and Raise the Dead - the latter now gives flat RR on hit, and Detach is a great skill to ensure that you’ll always have Skeletons hitting whichever enemy you please.

The general gameplay is unchanged - be liberal with using Outrider’s Pneumatic Surge (level 40 Mastery) for healing, as between Outrider’s passive Heightened Reflexes and Riftstalker’s passive CDR, you’re looking at 35% CDR, which is amazing for a 2H Ranged Build. 18% ACDTH (with nearly capped Attack Speed before Battle Scene / Calculated Assault), fully Pierce Bat devotion bound to one of your assault weapons, and 2 circuit breakers in Ghoul and Outrider’s Ravek’s Will is a substantial amount of passive healing and leech. This build easily passes SR 65-66 and is one of the strongest builds this Compendium has to offer. Just don’t be afraid to stand there and lay on the Marksman attacks when you feel your health dipping, and only retreat when Ghoul nearly runs out.

A little background to this: early on in AoM, an Agrivix Spellbinder was posted in the forums under the name of “Manly, Beefy caster.” Having been a huge Tim Follin fan before I had Grim Dawn, there was no way I was going to put the game down before making a beefy caster of my own. To make things more interesting, I decided not to include either Arcanist or Necromancer, but instead use the Demolitionist, as the bonuses to Vindictive Flame make the character truly beefy and Ulzuin’s Wrath has the effect of punching bad guys in the face without even making a move to hit them. Thus, this build was born.

Sources of RR:
Agrivix pets - 24 flat RR
Spectral Miasma - 30 Aether RR
Thermite Mines - 35 Aether RR, 32 Lightning RR
Widow - 35 Aether + Lightning RR
Divine Sword of Damocles - 20 Aether RR, 15 Lightning RR
Crosier of Osirus - 15 Aether RR
Total RR - 159 Aether RR, 106 Lightning RR

Ignore the DPS line in the first picture, I use the keyboard to take snapshots and sometimes it doesn’t properly show the main skill.

Equipment
Weapon: Divine Sword of Damocles + Mythical Codex of Agrivix
Components: Seal of Blades + Purified Salt
Head: Satyr Craft with +1 to Spirit Skills with suffix “of the Flesh Hulk”
Shoulders: Mythical Mantle of Agrivix
Hands: Mythical Gabriel’s Vambraces
Component: Restless Remains
Feet: Mythical Stormtitan Threads
Belt: Divine Sash of Erebus
Pants: Mythical Arcane Harmony Leggings
Chest Armor: Mythical Vestments of Agrivix
Amulet: Mythical Arcane Shard of Agrivix
Component: Bloodied Crystal
Rings: Mythical Seal of the Blazing Inferno + Divine Thoth’s Mark
Components: 2X Bloodied Crystal
Medal: Divine Anubis’ Wrath
Component: Arcane Spark
Relic: Crosier of Osiris

Agrivix Set comes with a huge amount of Cast Speed when you select Demo, as the 4-pc set bonus provides 10% Casting Speed to Vindictive Flame in addition to its normal speed bonus. Naturally, I looked for sklils that focused on Casting Speed and settled on a Channeling build, as I have attempted others in the past without great results. The kicker to choosing the Divine Sword of Damocles is that 100% of the Vitality damage in Drain Life is converted to Lightning; granted Lightning is only about 25% of the skill’s damage, but it gives the Demo class an advantage Arcanists and Necromancers don’t have: free Lightning damage boosts and RR. Spirit also has a Casting Speed buff, and both Dark Covenant and Circle of Power provide the OA you need to Crit consistently to activate the weapon’s RR. With 200% Casting Speed, Drain Life hits around 4+ times per second; while the damage needs some time to ramp up due to applying Widow, you have enough buffers that you can focus on your channeling without having to constantly kite.

The kicker to Ulzuin’s Wrath is that it can knock enemies over who are susceptible to it, allowing you to continue draining them without having to re-position yourself. Outside of Vindictive Flame, Thermite Mines, and Flame Touched, the only remaining skill I take is Blast Shield; taking Giant’s Blood bound to Blast Shield is perfect for a full heal just as you hit the circuit breaker. Combined with Spirit’s circuit breaker and Tree of Life, and you have multiple ways to heal yourself when Drain Life and Ulzuin’s Wrath are not enough.

The weakness of combining Drain Life with Agrivix’s Set is that you need to take several equipment slots away from Aether damage, so you have only 1900% Aether damage before Spirit bonuses. That will make this build weaker than more Aether focused builds like Spirit + Necromancer. You will have to keep an eye on your Blast Shield and Spirit circuit breaker cooldowns and make sure to distinguish between enemies you can tank and enemies that you have to disengage. This build is able to beat SR65-66, including beating Aether Resistant enemies like Reaper; but it is a harder challenge to clear the challenge with this build than other builds. Still, though, between two circuit breakers, Behemoth, Tree of Life with large natural Health Regeneration, and 26/16 Drain Life, this build satisfies the search for the Beefy Agrivix caster.

Build Objective: Raise the best Skeleton Army imaginable!

Sources of RR:
Guardian of Death’s Gate - 25 flat RR
Frailty - 30 Vitality RR
Spectral Wrath - 35 Vitality RR
Rattosh - 25 Vitality RR
Total RR - 115 Vitality RR

Equipment
Weapon: Mythical Guardian of Death’s Gate
Head: Mythical Mask of Scarlet Death
Shoulders: Pauldron of the Skeleton King
Hands: Mythical Tasker and Teo
Feet: Mythical Grim Harvest Boots
Belt: Mythical Spiritseeker’s Cord
Pants: Mythical Golemskin Breeches
Chest Armor: Mythical Necrolord’s Shroud
Amulet: Bysmiel’s Iris
Rings: 2X Mythical Spiritbinder’s Glyph
Medal: Divine Ankh of Isis
Relic: Mogdrogen’s Ardor (Pierce Resistance bonus)

Devotions: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/YVWgQ07V

Featuring the most ever amount of skeletons in this build - 32 Skeletons + 1 Blood Golem!

Getting Skeletons to work in FG is not an easy task, and even harder when you have 2 classes of Skeletons and neither of them have decent pet Health, Resistances, or pet Healing (at least with this set-up). Combine that with the most heavily resisted damage type in the game and it’s a wonder I was able to have this work at all. Thankfully, the D3 mod has provided numerous Skeleton-based equipment that allows me to fully cap Command Skeletons at 26/16, leaving me the rest of the slots to focus on vanilla Necromancer’s Raise Skeletons and keeping my pets healthy.

Sadly, I’m not able to use Time Dilation to provide a more reasonable upkeep for Call of the Grave + Frenzy, as you need the Empiryon Constellation just to give yourself enough resistances to survive the onslaught. It’s definitely worth it, though, as you need your Skeletons to survive long enough that you only need the occasional re-summon to keep your army in fighting shape. Similarly, investing in further RR is more important than investing in Shephard’s Crook, especially as between Call of the Grave and Frenzy, you will raise your pet stats to the point where more pet damage will result in diminishing returns and raising RR - especially against heavily resistant Nemeses - is more worth it.

Instead of taking Commander of the Risen Dead and focusing on Aether damage, we instead take Guardian of Death’s Gate + Master of Death to give our pets 100% Physical to Vitality conversion, with 2X Spiritbinder Glyphs giving us 100% Elemental to Vitality so we can use Skeleton Archers as well. Damage-wise, this build best benefits from Command Skeletons with Aetherfire bound to them, as it’s the only devotion left that doesn’t have a cooldown, so you have 13 Skeletons stacking up Aetherfire pools for good damage. Skeleton Archers take the Bat devotion, as they are less sturdy than Command Skeletons and I find myself having to resummon these Skeletons the most. Raise Skeletons takes up the Rattosh devotion, ensuring that the RR stays on the enemy for the whole fight.

To keep the Skeletons alive, I provide 3 sources of healing: Tree of Life devotion, the medal provides a 100% upkeep heal on hit, and Bysmiel’s Authority gives us an on-command heal while giving pets flat RR on hit. Combined with Necromancer’s Spectral Wrath and Skeleton’s Rattosh devotion, and you have nearly 100% maximum RR working at all times, having only to cast Frailty to get the rest of it going. You can’t really do anything about the lack of pet Pierce Resistance, meaning Fabius is going to be a pain for this build. Outside of that, you have 80-85% resistances all around, meaning that as long as you’re careful about pulling bosses, you can even survive Shattered Realms without frantically resummoning your Skeletons all the time.

I’m happy to report that this build is 65-66 viable, though I lost the Timer in Shard 66 due to having unexpected Alex meteors in the exploration Shard and not seeing Grava’s nullify projectile in the boss room. The fact that Skeletons can even beat Grava is reason to boast, as I had the misfortune of facing him in both Boss Rooms and came out just fine. Definitely keep your camera zoomed in so you’re not facing more than 2 Nemeses at once.

Sadly I can’t get the whole gang together, so instead this picture is of Wraiths fighting Wraiths

Build Objective: Make the best use of a Diviner’s Set hybrid possible.

Source of RR:
Diviner’s Set Helmet - 25 flat RR
Ill Omen (Diviner’s Helmet Mod) - 10 Aether RR + 10 Vitality RR
Cryptstalker Aura - 15 Aether RR + 15 Vitality RR
Spirit Aura - 26 Aether RR + Vitality RR
Spectral Wrath - 36 Aether RR + Vitality RR
Arcane Bomb - 35 Aether RR
Rattosh - 25 Vitality RR
Crosier of Osiris Relic - 15 Aether + 15 Vitality RR
Total RR - 162 Aether RR + 152 Vitality RR

All pictures are with permanent buffs only, Circle of Power and Dark Covenant help with the low OA.

Equipment
Weapon: Cryptstalker + Diviner’s Codex
Components: Seal of Blades + Purified Salt
Head: Diviner’s Helm
Component: Enforcer
Shoulders: Diviner’s Mantle
Hands: Mythical Aethereach
Component: Restless Remains
Feet: Mythical Greaves of Ill Omen
Belt: Mythical Spiritseeker Cord
Pants: Mythical Rifthound Legwraps
Chest Armor: Diviner’s Raiment
Amulet: Divine Blessing of the Gods
Rings: Divine Celestial Band + Mythical Screams of the Aether
Medal: Divine Anubis’ Wrath
Relic: Crosier of Osiris

Devotions: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/qNYo6BrV

The Diviner’s Set is back, and since sadly there are no Spirit pets that are immortal, the best way to build a Diviner’s Set pet build is to do away with the Spirit pets all together and focus on big Reap Spirit damage. The set itself has undergone a lot of changes since the initial build post; instead of converting 100% Cold to Aether, the 3pc bonus now converts 30% Cold to Vitality, a rather odd decision since there are no other pet Cold conversion items in the game to stand beside it. Instead, as Elemental conversion takes precedence over Cold conversion, we use the Aethereach gloves to convert 100% pet Elemental damage to Aether and make it a true Aether / Vitality hybrid.

Cryptstalker is a new addition to Grim Dawn from v1.1.6.0 - it provides a 15% Aether and Vitality RR aura 5m around the character. Normally, that would spell disaster for pet builds, but since Spirit’s Deathchill Aura is also a 5m aura that provides Vitality and Aether RR, the weapon is a great fit for this build. To provide the necessary staying power to keep within that radius, we use Dryad bound to Reap Spirit and we heavily invest in Soul Feast to combine with the Rattosh devotion to provide 25% Life Leech RR; since Nemeses often have 90%-95% Life Leech Resistance, being able to reduce it that much results in a substantial increase in Life Leech, especially as both Reap Spirit and Bone Harvest are >100% WD abilities to complement the build’s 19% Life Steal. Circle of Power is necessary to provide the player an additional 100 flat OA, Life Steal, and Life Leech Resistance. Dark Covenant is now a 50% uptime buff that provides over 10% OA and Physical Resistance; make sure to use it when you have a low number of Wraiths so that the pets can do the heavy lifting once the buff’s duration is complete.

What’s the secret to this build’s success? Spirit provides a huge number of racial bonuses, especially against Aetherials and Undead; Purified Salt, Divine Anubis’ Wrath, and Mythical Screams of the Aether also provide racial damage to Aetherials. Combine that with >150% RR for both Aether and Vitality damage and even Aether resistant enemies have a hard time withstanding repeated Reap Spirit barrages. The build is blessed with a huge pet OA even before Mogdrogen’s Howl of the Wolf, so once the build gets rolling, the Wraiths will pummel everything as long as they keep within your circle. I’m proud to report that this build has succeeded even my wildest expectations and is the first hybrid pet/player build I’ve found that can even surpass SR 65-66 with ease.

Hi TPOM,

Really enjoying your compendium! Quick question, how did you get your blood golem to work in the D3 Necro + vanilla necro build? The current D3 Necro build in Grimarillion 62a causes a crash to desktop when the blood golem transmuter is used and you summon the blood golem (D3 mastery author has it fixed in the update this week, but it’s not incorporated in Grimarillion yet). I’ve been wanting to try a similar build as yours, but with Spirit.

Build Objective: To use the Blood Knight set with the Raise the Dead devotion for maximum player-scaled skeletons

Source of RR:
Trance of Clairvoyance - 32 Vitality RR
Rattosh - 25 Vitality RR
Soul of Narzan - 15 Vitality RR
Divine Zhulu proc - 15 Vitality RR
Divine Arburing + Mythical Cursebearer - 22 Vitality RR
Total RR - 133 Vitality RR

Equipment
Weapon: Divine Zhulu + “Supercharged” Colossal Fortress (prefix with CDR is mandatory)
Components: Haunted Steel + Boyarsky’s Chip (rare component found with D3 merchant)
Head: Blood Knight’s Visage
Shoulders: Blood Knight’s Scolls
Component: Sacred Plating
Hands: Valguur’s Touch
Feet: Mythical Boneshatter Treads
Belt: Divine Pythia’s Bindings
Pants: Mythical Boneweave Leggings
Component: Ancient Armor Plate
Chest Armor: Blood Knight’s Armor
Amulet: Blood Knight’s Pendant
Rings: Divine Arburing + Mythical Cursebearer
Medal: Satyr Craft with +1 Dream Skills with suffix “of Tormented Souls”
Relic: Serenity with 3% DA bonus

Devotions: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/m23L3LjV

The Blood Knight build used to be property of Necromancer + Terror Knight, except when I tried it in the Shattered Realms, the timer would run out before I’d even hit the boss segments! The Necromancer section simply didn’t have the strength to handle the SR content, so instead, I switched over to the Soldier class (and good thing as well, as Soldier was the hardest class to figure out how to incorporate pets with it) and it works much better. The Blood Knight set and the Shield take the skill Counter Strike to 26/16 with only a 0.2 sec recharge between each strike, converting all of its damage to Vitality. Solider passives work tremendously well here, with the large OA bonus from Field Command and Fighting Spirit helping to get the Crit attacks necessary to activate the weapon RR; free armor absorption to help with filling out resistances, and Menhir’s Will to work alongside Serenity and Giant’s Blood to make the build tank any group of monsters that come your way. As the class provides no RR of its own for a damage type that is often heavily resisted, we bring in three slots that add RR procs to help along.

The Dream class may provide little more than RR, but there’s one stat that sticks out that helps this build out greatly: CDR. The flat Aether damage is converted to Vitality thanks to the Blood Knight’s helmet. Otherwise, the bottom row of passives and Foresight, which is the GQ equivalent of Necromancer’s Mark of Torment, rounds out the rest of the build: total Speed, an Arcane Will equivalent proc, Vitality and Chaos resistances, and Retaliation damage which helps bolster Counter Strike’s damage.

This build has no problems face-tanking multiple Nemeses, and having Blitz and Rune of Vampiric Shadows (combined with 32% CDR for quicker activation) provides the mobility you need to pass SR65-66 with little trouble.

1 Like

Build Objective: To feature the Spirit and Dream pets as they have the best synergy with each other.

Sources of RR:
Gatekeeper skill or Prophecy Amulet skill - 20 flat RR
Deathchill Aura - 30 Vitality RR
Trance of Clairvoyance - 30 Vitality RR
Rattosh - 25 Vitality RR
Total RR - 105 Vitality RR

First pet stats sheet is with permanent buffs only. Second pet stats sheet is with all procs active with the exception of Hungering Void and Divine Prophecy (amulet skill)

Equipment
Weapon: Mythical Gatekeeper
Component: Seal of Might
Head: Mythical Beastcaller’s Helm
Shoulders: Divine Oberon’s Mantle
Hands: Mythical Touch of the Everlasting Grove
Belt: Mythical Sash of Erebus
Pants: Mythical Golemskin Breeches
Component: Silk Swatch
Chest Armor: Divine Robes of Helios
Component: Hallowed Ground
Amulet: Divine Kallixenia’s Prophecy
Rings: Divine Ethereal Band + Divine Kallixenia’s Glyph
Medal: Divine Kallixenia’s Brooch
Relic: Mogdrogen’s Ardor (3% DA bonus)

Devotions: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/dVba3D32

Spirit pets were the hardest to work with for me as the Spirit class has no pet resistances (outside of Physical with Dark Covenant active) and the Divine Kallixenia’s Momento Set drives the damage toward Vitality damage. The set provides double Liche King summons; according to ASLYUM, the Liche King is modeled after the Raven, but with an immunity to Vitality damage instead of Lightning damage. Vitality damage is ideal for immunities, as attacks with %Reduction to Health are partly mitigated by Vitality resistance. Offensively, Vitality pets have a huge benefit to damage; between Hungering Void & the Gatekeeper proc, you have an extra 720% Vitality damage in addition to the 1600% All Damage bonus taken from the above pic + 200% All damage bonus from Hungering Void. Once you include the flat damage bonuses from Dark Covenant (converted from the Gatekeeper), the damage can be unreal. However, the devotion path comes at the cost of the challenge of keeping the pets’ resistances at the cap. Both the Skeletal Soldiers and Liche King have separate skills that raise their Elemental resistance, but that only applies to themselves and not the Outrider or Nightmare pets. Currently, my jewelry augments are 2X Atephs Will (since pet Bleeding resistance is nowhere to be found) and 1 Sylvarria’s Essence; hopefully, is a future patch grants my request for the Divine Sash of Erebus to give pet resistances identical to Mythical Spiritseeker’s Cord, all of the pet resistances will be more or less covered for the Skeletons and Liche King, at least.

The Dream class was taken as the weapon and amulet provide +3 to Dream skills; with my experience with Summon Nightmare (including a particularly meme build involving Occultist + Dream and the weapon that converts Nightmare’s damage to fire), the Nightmare pet works best when you have other pets that take the front lines. Having Dream Surge at 22/12 is great as the ripples more rather fast and the pierce through enemies feature is amazing to bring down crowds.

The rather significant weakness to this class, however, is that Dream’s Vitality RR works similar to Necromancer’s, meaning that you have to have the sustain an toughness to have enemies hit you before the RR can be applied. Combined with Spirit’s Deathchill Aura and a negative health regen under Hungering Void, you’ll have a lot of hair-raising moments - make sure you have lots of Health potions. I had tried SR65-66 with a second Sylvarria’s Essence instead of Ateph’s Will - I was able to beat Kubacabra at SR66 in the small SR realm, even with its high Vitality resistance and Bleeding pools that made mincemeat out of the low pets’ Bleeding resistance with only 1 augment. That should be encouragement enough to play this build; the only instant reset enemy I’ve found is SR Korvaak and its second phase that melted all my pets - though that was when I had a different devotion set-up and less-quality boots where my pets had 15% lower Elemental resistance than I have now.

Build Objective: To make the most of Svylan Nymph by converting all of its Elemental damage to Cold.

Sources of RR:
Elemental Storm - 32 Elemental flat RR
Plague - 35 Elemental RR
Squall - 35 Elemental RR
Rumor - 23 Cold RR
Avatar of Bast - 10 Elemental RR
Total RR - 135 Cold RR

Equipment
Weapon: Divine Spear of the Dryads with Divine Zeno’s Third Paradox
Components: Seal of Might X2
Head: Mythical Winter King’s Crown
Component: Enforcer (Diablo 3 blacksmith component)
Shoulders: Divine Druid’s Mantle
Hands: Mythical Touch of the Everlasting Grove
Belt: Divine Dementer’s Sacred Leaves
Pants: Mythical Runebrand Leggings
Chest Armor: “Sky Nomad’s” Saytr Craft (gives +1 to both Nature and Storm)
Amulet: Divine Druid’s Totem
Rings: Divine Ring of Gaia X2
Medal: Dreeg’s Mark of Chills
Relic: Sigil of Bast (+1 to Nature Skills)

Devotions: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/DV9LmE62

This build used to be a Thorn Sprite build, but since the Divine Call of the Wild build invested quite heavily in Thorn Sprites, I decided to instead focus on the Svlan Nymph. I would love to one day post the Corrupted Nymph build that uses the Shikigami staff, but so far I have not been able to have it pass SR65-66; Vitality pets are very hard to balance having the damage to get past heavily resisted Nemeses while also having the pet resistances to survive. Svylan Nymph was recently revamped in Grim Quest v75 from a mixture of Acid and Elemental to fully Elemental; this is the only fully Elemental pet in Grimarillion. There is a GQ Nature + Storm set that focuses on the Nymph, but to fully convert pet Elemental damage to Cold, the Crown of the Winter King and Dreeg’s Mark of Chills are both required. The helm blocks the full set, so instead we use the Spear of the Dryads which summons 2 of both Svylan Nymph and Storm’s Winter Sprite while taking the Zeno’s Shield which not only helps getting both Nymph skills to 22/12, but it converts 100% of Winter Sprite’s Vitality damage to Cold (overriding the Spear’s Vitality to Elemental conversion) while also giving a modifier that adds 50% pet Weapon damage to Winter Sprite. We take the amulet to provide +1 to all TQ Druid skills and the shoulders to give the 2-pc 8% DA bonus while also giving pet Aether and Chaos resistances.

The chest slot is a rare Satyr craft that gives skills to both Storm and Nature. It took me 30 crafts to come up with this specific prefix, so it’s not as rare as the desired “Stonehide” Stoneplate Greaves are in the regular Grim Dawn game. I ended up GDStashing the suffix “of Mending” which is a common suffix that boosts Health Regeneration, but really any suffix that helps with your defenses is suitable as long as you have the prefix. The image is with both Tree of Life and Giant’s Blood active (the boss room has plants that whack me to activate the procs), and you can see that this build can get over 3,000 Health Regen. The rings and the Druid’s set provides plenty of skill points to Storm’s Storm Nimbus; combine this with Nature’s Tranquility of Water and you have tons of flat damage and all of it is converted to Cold. Winter Sprite, although it does not have a portrait like most pet skills, is a tank, and with only 2 active skills (Plaque and Squall for RR), it easily peels aggro from you.

I will shamefully admit that I posted months ago that Kodoma’s health regeneration for pets wasn’t sufficient to help in survival; with most pets having 40K+ health, pets would need at least 4K regeneration to match a build with 2K regen, and pets have far fewer source of health regen bonuses than players do. Now, having tested it, I fully retract any misgivings I have about the Kodoma; granted, Tree of Life is still necessary to provide an instant heal to take Nemesis hits, but I was very impressed at how the Nymphs and Sprites could get through the SR chunks with barely a scratch. While most pet builds are very single target oriented with lower AoE, Svylan Nymph’s Nature Wrath ability is very good at AoE, and Winter Sprite’s Boreal Smash is a radial AoE. Force of Nature provides good single target damage, especially since having 100% of damage as Elemental helps against Cold-resistant Nemeses like Kuba and Fabius.

As a bonus, having the Nymphs damage from far away made it the ideal build to bag me my first Bilial kill (shown above). Bilial, when either killed or the SR chunk is cleared, drops the “Medal of Bilial,” which gives +1 to a random D3 class and converts 100% damage to either Aether or Acid. It would be fun to showcase this medal one day assuming I can get the right damage and class combination, as it is currently impossible to GDStash the desired affixes.

Damn!

Thank you so much, TPOM, you’ve put a lot of work into this.

(Must shout out to all the devs for the work they’ve put in to the various mods).

Do you think these builds are viable WITHOUT the equipment you’ve listed?

P.S. Did you ever do anything like this for DAIL?

Do you think physical based build of nature+occultist would work? There would be sources of RR from plague, cof, and manticore at least. Since i don’t have items for all these fancy full conversion builds in this mod. I’m not sure about rest of the devotions though.

Build Objective: Create a pet build with Arcanist that makes good use of 22/12 IEE and combine Star Pact with Refresh for near-extreme CDR possibilities.

Sources of RR:
Elemental Storm - 32 flat RR
Plague - 42 Elemental RR
Eldritch Fire - 23 Fire RR
Total RR - 74 Elemental RR, 95 Fire RR

Equipment
Weapon: Kuan Ti’s Sorrow
Head: Mythical Clairvoyant’s Hat
Shoulders: Elite Wendigo Spellweaver Spaulders
Hands: Mythical Overlord’s Iron Grip
Feet: Mythical Footpads of the Grey Magi
Belt: “Subjugator’s” Malmouth Arcane Girdle
Pants: “Taskmaster’s” Bysmiel Pants “of Soulwarding”
Chest Armor: Fateweaver’s Raiment
Amulet: Mythical Sovereign Ruby of Domination
Rings: Black Pearl Ring X2
Components: Purified Salt + Imbued Silver
Medal: Satyr Craft with +Nature skills and suffix “of the Wild”
Relic: Primal Instinct with +Nature Skills

Devotions: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/mN4qr7B2 [Mogdrogen + Magi]
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/62a4gdBN [Ishtak + Amatok]

Arcanist is often delegated to sub-standard support category: not enough resistances for the player and only one skill suitable for pets. Then again - 25-30% Crit damage is amazing no matter the source. Vanilla pet builds incorporating Arcanist were mainly Lightning based builds, whether that’d be dual Raven Warlock or Beastcaller’s Druid. Grimarillion, however, multiplies the number of good concepts a pet build can take advantage of. The much more varied ways to get +All Skills is essential to getting the essential Arcanist skills down while grabbing the major pet skills, but the biggest addition to Arcanist builds is the Black Pearl Rings, which grant up to 24% Physical to Elemental and are craftable at the Satyr. You can get a full 100% conversion if you use the Zunimassa’s Set Off-Hand, but a staff that provides +2 to All Skills is much more valuable, especially as it cuts down on the amount of equipment neessary to get 22/12 to IEE.

AoM was kind enough to grant two pieces of equipment that give bonuses to IEE as well as pet bonuses, and best of all, they are faction items. Black Pearl rings used to provide +1 to All Skills, but despite the nerfs, you only need Footpads of the Grey Magi in addition to the AoM faction items in order to get to 22/12 IEE, and with it - 114 Elemental Damage when Manifestation is taken. The other major benefit of choosing Arcanist as a pet Mastery is that the chest piece Fateweaver’s Raiment gives relevant skill bonuses, and equipping it grants 15% to All Resistances for you and your pets. The +All Skills is very helpful in getting the other skills as well: Inner Focus allows you to get the Spirit neccesary to equip the Staff. Mirror and Nullification are the staple Arcanist skills where placing points into the ability allows you to use it more often. Maiven’s Mirror + Conversion provide free damage absorption (it’s not as if you’re doing any damage for the penalty to matter) and Stun Resistance. Mental Alacrity gives you good Energy Cost reduction for just 1 point + bonuses. Finally, Star Pact is the original CDR Exclusive, and since Nature has no Exclusive ability, you feel no guilt in choosing it.

The weakness of Arcanist Mastery is that you have no RR avilable for your use. OFF is much more useful in Grimarillion than in Vanilla as the amount of trash mobs susceptible to freeze is jacked up by orders of magnitude - more trash to freeze means more Fire RR stacking. As Tri-Elemental RR is hard to obtain and you only have a few skills that can even proc the abilities, I stack towards Swarmling’s Fire Damage: Eldritch Fire for the RR, Magi for the Wolves to provide nice AoE capability, and Mogdrogen + Attak Seru for the T3 pet devotion + high DA stacking. While Mogdrogen is traditionally seen as weaker, I take it to take good advantage of the build’s innate Crit damage potential while using the swarmling’s temporary status to fish out as many attacks with them as possible. Due to the last of abilities to proc Mogdrogen, especially against bosses, I put up a Ishtak + Amatok build that provides similar numbers for pet Speed and OA. If you are thinking of using Hand of Ultos for additional RR, the multiplicative nature of the RR is far less useful when you are not stacked with multiple sources of stackable RR, so it is out.

This build is made to glorify our little Nymph, as having 17/12 Nature’s Wrath along with an additional 188% Elemental damage and flat OA thanks to the Kodoma is a big boost that you won’t see in your stat sheet. In terms of flat damage, however, the Nymph still lags far behind Swarmlings, so I’m not sure whether Nymph is too underpowered. There is a bow that provides a second Nymph, but it is unsuitable for Elemental or Poison builds - it appears that it was meant to be used for Nature + Hunting Physical + Pierce pets. Still, with 41% CDR between Star Pact, Helm, Staff, and Amulet and Refresh to keep Force of Nature and Sovereign buffs up, you should be able to keep your focus on damage.

Fifth Class Feature is Witch Doctor!

Witch Doctor was given a hearty introduction with my first build in the Compendium, using the Zunimassa Set that gives +2 to Witch Doctor and makes Tiki Warriors quasi-permanent pets. Sadly, before D3’s ultimate update that introduced the Kanai’s Cube, the Zunimassa Set was the only way to get +All Skills in Witch Doctor, which is a shame since Witch Doctor is a heavy, heavy skill-point hungry Mastery, and that’s true whether or not you make a pet build with it. Witch Doctor has multiple buffs, a passive to help with Energy Regeneration, 2 flat RR abilities - one for Elemental RR that gives Damage reduction and the other a standard RR ability, stackable RR that only unlocks when you have 12/12 invested in it and usually needs more than that for the uptime to match the cooldown, and Pierce the Veil- the great offensive buff featured in the Zunimassa build that grants an amazing Damage and OA boost in exchange for a massive Energy Drain that requires you to build around it. Thankfully, there are plenty of classes that grant passive Energy Regeneration and the devotion Harp - and if you need even more than that, Tree of Life - is a universal way to keep your passive Energy at manageable levels when in the heat of battle.

Let’s dive into the abilities themselves: Burning Dogs is largely invested because 16/16 increases the number of Dogs summoned from 3 to 4, and unlike most pet abilities, they are all summoned at once. A neat strategy with this is that if you see any of the Dogs weakened, direct them towards a target and re-summon all of them to pile on their Sacrifice damage. The damage is Physical, so you have to find a way to convert that damage, whether it be Cold through Winter King Sword, Elemental with Zunimassa + Black Pearl Rings, or Acid when FG comes out and you have access to Ghol’s Malice set. You can summon even more Burning Dogs by killing enemies with Grasp of the Dead, but that requires heavy investment in Hybrid gameplay, and the Dog’s mainly Physical damage does not sync well with Grasp of the Dead’s Poison / Vitality damage. Gargantuan has a Poison cloud when you invest 16/16 in it, and Tall Man’s Finger ring + Kunai Relic allows you to summon multiple Gargantuans at once. Tikis are usable even without the Zunimassa Set, but they are then used as a temporary pet similar to Conjure Primal Spirit.

Even if you don’t like looking for pet Stats, player-scaled Witch Doctors can summon multiple pets thanks to the Jade Harvester Set and its emphasis on Soul Harvest. The second node of Soul Harvest is the afore-mentioned flat RR ability, and the last node lets you summon Cold / Vitality pets if you kill enemies with the ability. Additionally, Corpse Spiders are also player-scaled, and you can summon many spiders to swarm the field as long as you have reasonable cooldown reduction. Phantasmal Blast and its second node are low in damage, but amazing for proccing devotion abilities due to the split projectiles. Mass Paranoia is a long uptime + long cooldown ability that grants Fire, Cold, Poison and Vitality stackable RR. Lastly, it’s hard to mention Witch Doctor without promoting its great survivability. Walk the Plane is a Mirror-like invincibility ability that grants a small heal when you soft-cap the skill, and Spirit Vessel is a circuit breaker that heals you for half your health when you reach 30% Health. Overall, Witch Doctor is a great class that’s slightly hampered by the sheer number of skill points and +skill bonuses that are required to make its abilities worth it, but amazing when you pair it with a less-hungry Mastery that helps with more RR capability.

For those who are tired of seeing Pet stats and want to see builds that whack enemies on their own volition, Witch Doctor is the last of my class features that focus on summoning. With the exception of one unrevealed pet build, all builds after this class feature will emphasize on good old-fashioned no-nonsense player-focused builds. There will still be pets, as is the nature of my compendium, but they will all scale with player damage, so you don’t have to go out of your way to build around them, for when they benefit, you benefit as well.

Build Objective: Use the Mythical Queen’s Scepter to get valuable contribution from both player-scaled Corpse Spiders and pet scaled Eldritch Webweavers and Primal Instinct critters

Source of RR:
Ghol’s Set modifier to Mogdrogen’s Pact - 28 flat RR
Ghol’s Set modifier to Devouring Swarm - 20 Poison RR
Ghol’s Set completion Eldritch Aura - 10 Poison RR
Mass Paranoia - 30 Poison RR
Rumor - 30 Poison RR
Total RR = 118 Poison RR

Equipment

Weapon: Dual Mythical Spider Queen’s Grasp
Components: Purified Salt + Imbued Silver
Head: Mythical Circlet of the Great Serpent
Shoulders: Ghol’s Mantle
Hands: Ghol’s Gloves
Feet: Mythical Fiendflesh Greaves
Belt: Mythical Pack of Deadly Means
Pants: Mythical Golemborn Breeches
Component: Ancient Armor
Chest Armor: Ghol’s Raiment
Amulet: Mythical Blightshard Amulet
Component: Royal Topaz
Rings: Double Mythical Yugol’s Ichor
Components: Double Ectoplasm
Medal: Ghol’s Mark
Relic: Primal Instinct

Devotions: Centered on Harp, Tree of Life, Twin Fangs bound to Corpse Spider, Rumor, and Shepherd’s Crook Grimools coming soon

After much debate as to whether it would even be possible to use Corpse Spiders effectively in a pet build, Ghol’s Malice provides an unlikely solution. For completing the full set, all pets apply flat resist reduction through Mogdrogen’s Pact; that allows me to focus my devotions on Energy Regeneration for a total of nearly 150 Energy/sec to keep Pierce the Veil running and healing to keep me and my pets alive. Additionally, the belt Pack of Deadly Means was recently buffed to enable dual-wielding; as it converts 50% of Vitality damage to Acid, it focuses Corpse Spider’s damage toward acid while allowing the player to dual-wield the scepters. Not only is that great for getting Corpse Spiders to 22/16, it allows you to summon two pet-scaled spiders where 50% of its Vitality damage and 25% of its Cold damage is converted to Acid.

In perfect thematic form, Ghol’s Gloves allow you to summon Elditch Webweavers on Critical Hit, and this build can keep Pierce the Veil long enough to maintain 3,000 OA and reliably summon the Webweavers. Continuously applying Devouring Swarm for the RR also summons Primal Instinct insects for the perfect insect-themed build.

As with other iterations of the insect build, it’s limited by lack of +all skills in Witch Doctor. There are multiple Witch Doctor passives we have to softcap for their additional bonuses, and we have to account for player’s damage bonuses and additional damage and resistances for your pets as well. As we have no CDR and no relevant bonus points in the skill, Conjure Primal Spirit is not much of an option. Instead, we use Summon Briarthorn as the set provides large bonus points and Emboldening Presence provides a great flat OA boost and Physical resistance. Primal Bond is the perfect Exclusive to use, as it provides a good %All damage boost and an excellent 50% pet Crit that goes perfectly with Pierce the Veil’s pet OA boost.

All in all, even though this is a meme build, it can perform admirably considering just how many insects are involved in this build. Nemesis-level enemies can wipe your pets and Queen Spiders are not very durable. However, you have Spirit Walk to provide healing and invulnerability so you can re-summon your pets and throw Corpse Spiders continuously. There is no shame in retreating and toggling Pierce the Veil to recover your Energy for a second round.