TPOM's Grimarillion Build Compendium, Featuring Pets

My favorite part of the Arcanist / Crusader is you have Heaven’s Fury + 2 Bombardment skills so you’re pelting enemies to death from above. The caveat is that you absolutely need the Spellscourge set or else the build doesn’t work at all. Keep that in mind if you want to pursue it.

Crusader Skill layout:
Fully max Heaven’s Fury, Bombardment, & Laws of Valor (the one that gives Crit damage)
Get to 10/10 Hold your Ground, Iron Skin, and Fervor (I have Fervor up to 13/10 but outside of some %damage and speed, this one is not as important)
Divine Fortress and Indestructible I have at 5/10.

Arcanist layouy:
Fully max Devastation & Maiven’s
Get to 12/12 Mirror, Elemental Balance, Inner Focus, and Inferno (the skill next to Callidor’s Tempest)
1 point in everything else, though you can put some extra points in Nullification to reduce the cooldown.

As for favorite pet build, I like the player-scaled pets more than the regular summoner pets. For summoner pets, I like the Nature + Necrotic build as you get the most out of all of your pets, and it’d be interesting to see how well the Ghol’s set goes with it.

I made a point in the Grimarillion thread that I’ll be leveling my favorites further in the game - I’ll definitely have 1 Summoner build, 1 Hybrid (either the Reap Spirit one or the Blight Fiend + Rogue hybrid), and a few player-scaled pets one. In addition to the Bombardment Mage, I like all the 2H gunner builds I’ve made - it’s really hard to limit myself to a few since they all have something interesting.

That’s a bit off puting about the spellscourge set to be honest. I think i’ll stick with nature/necrotic then, could you posting some more info about this one too?
Also any other non-pet build that’s fun and not that gear dependent you can think of?

edit: actually, I started a barb/crusader since the new Grimarillion update is here and i’m having tons of fun with whirlwind, will you be giving it a try? Very curious about a build you’d put together for it.

Out of my current builds, the least gear-dependent ones I have are ones where the conversion is built into the masteries. Champion Mastery’s Army of None is one of my favorite skills because it really feels like an Army and - unlike other skills - feels really rewarding when you overcap the abilities. 100% Lightning to Aether conversion is built into the Storm Mastery, so all you need is a good Physical to Aether weapon and you’re most of the way there.

Any build incorporating the Zenith masteries is going to be fun; Ceno did a wonderful job with these masteries, even if they were designed to be more OP than the regular classes. Since their abilities are very good, they are less gear-dependent than other classes would be, as often weak skills need either gear conversion or massive overcap before they become reliable.

I’d tell you about Oathkeeper and Barbarian, but I’d have to get the expansion first. :stuck_out_tongue: No ETA on when that will happen, and I wouldn’t be able to say anything about the new gear as GDStash won’t be there to give a look into anything related to Barbarian.

I’ll take a look at the zenith masteries then, also is FG needed for barbarian though?
So would recommend going with riftstalker/d3 necro or riftstalker/outrier, which one was more fun to you?

1. FG is indeed necessary for anyone to play the D3 Barbarian class.
  2. I did not make a Riftstalker + D3 Necro build, so I don’t know what you’re referring to. Riftstalker + Outrider is a lot of fun, especially when you get the bonus ability that puts totems all over the place. I haven’t built that one from scratch, so I won’t be of much help when it comes to leveling.
  3. Skeleton Overlord (D3 Necro + GD Necro) Equipment List is completely revamped! I’ll redo the pictures for the skill distribution once I get the opportunity, but Skeleton Overlord is a build I definitely want to test in both xpac content.

I have a few leftover builds that don’t have a class feature, but I want to make sure all the summon pet skills in this game are accounted for:

Build Objective: To make Dracarris feel like a unique and build-defining item while making use of the Core Dweller.

Source of RR:
Black Star of Deceit - 15 flat RR
Earth Ring of Flame - 20 Chaos RR
Eldritch Fire - 35 Chaos RR
Symbol of Solael - 10 Chaos RR
Fiendgaze Tome - 10 Chaos RR
Total RR - 90 Chaos RR

Equipment + Devotions: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/pZrjz0kZ [AoM]
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/YZenLGvN [FG]

Along with Zunimassa Witch Doctor + Storm, this was one of my first build concepts, spanning out to last September. It had served me well getting through initial testing, but multiple nerfs to several items forced me to reimagine this build somewhat. The concept was a simple one: convert 100% of both Physical and Fire damage to Chaos for full Chaos Swarmlings, with help from 22/12 Hellfire Hellhound and tanking assistance from the Core Dweller. Dracarris was first used in DaShiv’s Pyromancer, where he used Demolitionist’s Fire abilities to reliably proc the Hellspawn ability and grant further Fire damage to pets. Here we focus on the Chaos side of it, as thanks to Earth’s buff, we don’t just convert pet Fire to Chaos, but player damage as well. The main skill we use to proc this ability is Earth’s Meteor - an ability with massive flat damage which if we could bring to 16/16 (maybe by reducing Core Dweller investment), we would. Meteor is bound to Time Dilation - the skill cooldown activates when the Meteor lands, so as the Meteor descends, you can activate abilities like Blood of Dreeg and Core Healing and have their cooldowns reduced as well.

This build gets a nice buff with Fallen Gods: As you can see in the screenshots, you only have around 2650 OA with permanent buffs + Blood of Dreeg; that’s not very reliable to Crit bosses and 25 RR is bound to Crits (Black Star and Fiendgaze Tome). The Mystical Vestments of Severed Faith gives you an extra 100 flat OA, and while you do lose about 140% Pet Damage, that is partially made up by the 21 flat Chaos damage given to your pets. Pierce Resistance is hard to come by on this build, so the new Chestpiece is especially welcome since it grants that resistance. As an additional bonus, you gain about 100% Chaos damage yourself, which will definitely help getting the kills necessary to proc Hellspawn. Now that Fiendgaze Tome converts 100% Cold to Chaos damage, you can also use the Bonescavenger Gloves for even higher player OA and more pet damage to partially offset the loss of Fiendmaster. As for other equipment, the nerf to Voidwhisper rings means that you now have to equip both rings in order to have full 100% Physical to Chaos conversion; Peerless Eye is surprisingly one of the best options for the amulet even with the boon of All Skills amulets you have access to; and the head gear, while surprising to see from a pet build, has the best combination of resistances, damage bonuses, and skill points - even more valuable as the usual sources of Satyr craft are all taken.

Build Objective: To take Blade Spirit to its maximum potential while adding some Fire Chakram for more whirling blades.

Sources of RR:
Elemental Storm - 32 Elemental RR
Demon Hunter Entangling Shot - 33 Elemental RR
Solael’s Witchblade - 23 Fire RR
Total: 88 Fire RR

Equipment and Devotions: Demonblade, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.3) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator (Diablo 3 Classes Mod)

The previous Blade Spirit build used the Unseeing Assassin set to maximize Blade Spirit damage while converting all of its damage to Pierce. However, after various Grim Dawn updates, the equipment that granted those conversions was no more, leaving the build in limbo. Thankfully, as the D3 mod kept being updated, more equipment supporting Chakram was introduced, giving us an opportunity to invest in both Chakram and Blade Spirits.

This build is definitely a kiting caster, letting Blade Spirits and Chakram doing the work while you only have to worry about letting the RR stick to the opponent. Due to being a single RR class, you run into problems with very high-resist enemies like Shar’Zul, but with two healing skills, it’s easy to mitigate the damage. Additionally, Blade Barrier is a very nice fit to this build, as all of the damage is coming from the Blades anyway, so the immobility of the skill doesn’t dumpster your DPS.

Build Objective: To maximize two different classes’ worth of player-scaled pets, taking one of each as close to 22/12 as possible.

Source of RR:
Elemental Storm - 32 Elemental RR
Frailty - 30 Cold RR
Rumor - 23 Cold RR
Etherial Veil - 18 Cold RR
Magic Mirror - 40% Elemental RR
Total RR - 103 - 124 Cold RR

Equipment
Weapon: Mythical The Barber with Mythical Silver Mirror
Components: Seal of the Night + Seal of Might
Head: Mythical Archmage’s Vicalyke
Component: Living Armor
Shoulders: Mythical Cartosian Scrolls
Component: Living Armor
Hands: Mythical Wilken’s Reach
Component: Ugdenbog Leather
Feet: Tal Rasha’s Stride
Belt: Mythical Jang’s Envelopment
Pants: Mythical Defiler Cuisses
Component: Scaled Hide
Chest Armor: Tal Rasha’s Relentless Pursuit
Component: Titan Plating
Amulet: Polydegmon
Component: Bloodied Crystal
Rings: Mythical Hand of Hollow Whispers + Mythical Band of Souls
Components: Purified Salt + Imbued Silver
Medal: Regular / Mythical Mark of Divinity
Component: Black Tallow
Relic: Etherial Veil with 3% OA bonus

Devotions: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/m2360JnN

The Wizard was a class I was slightly stumped on how to use its pets to their advantage. Elemental damage and no stackable RR meant I had to pick something that synergized well with it while not hogging too many skillpoints. Magic Weapon, Astral Presence, Diamond Skin, Unstable Anomaly, Energy Armor and Archon are all wonderful passives for the Wizard to incorporate, and that doesn’t go into its two pet skills. Once Grimer introduced the Kunai relics as well as multiple D3 equipment, multiple +1 to Wizard skills gear made playing Wizard much more enjoyable. The items shown above paved the way to get 22/12 Magic Mirror, chosen because the items synergized together much better than going for 22/12 Hydra. It just so happened that the remaining slots made it possible to get Bone Spirit to 21/12, and since you only need Bone Armor + second node, Frailty, and Final Service, you have many skill points to spread among the Wizard’s multiple skills.

It was honestly a bit surprising I was able to get this concept to work as neither Wizard nor D3 Necromancer have any healing abilities and there is no ADCTH to be found. Instead, I take advantage of both classes’ great circuit breakers (Unstable Anomaly is like Blast Shield with massive flat absorption and Final Service is like Menhir’s Will without the weapon requirement) and all healing devotion procs and use Wizard’s great CDR to its fullest potential. Giant’s Blood is attached to Unstable Anomaly because it is the most potent healing with the longest cooldown - you want to make sure the massive regen happens in conjuction with the massive flat damage absorption. Dryad is bound to Meteor as it is extremely reliable. If all else fails, Mark of Divinity gives you one last stand to flee for the other survivability skills to cool down.

As for offense, Mirror Image is great for a 22/12 skill, but you must be wary that you have to wait for the previous images to wear off before casting it again or else 3 of the images die off and you’re left with a wasted cast and 1 Mirror Image. Hydra is okay, but the fact that they are immobile make it difficult for a player to use while constantly on the move. Maximum Bone Spirit is cast by pressing the button four at a time - any more than 4 and the first Spirit you summoned blows up on command - not bad if you’re intending on attacking with your pets only. All of this leads to a bit of spacial preparation so that you have your Hydras and Bone Spirits ready, but the payoff is more than worth it.

Which one of the builds would you say is the most powerful overall?

Anyone else having issues with the images in the old posts?

Yes, because they’re probably from a site that isn’t whitelisted here so they don’t appear. Since the OP hasn’t signed in to the new forum yet there’s no way the images will be visible.

I have signed in to the new forum. I have no intentions of updating this for FG, but it would suck to have this thread killed by the lack of pictures. How can I help you to get the pictures back online?

Guess you’d have to upload them all again into the relevant posts. Hope you kept them.

The URLs are still in the post. Use the composer’s upload option to upload the images from the web.

The links to the builds are also broken so they need fixing as well.

1 Like

Another thing to consider is Grimarillion has had several updates since you did this, builds might be very different now.

1 Like

[about broken links]
Edited - I see that was already posted with some answers

I have started cleaning some of my builds, including erasing the builds that are now outright impossible since the FG and Grimarillion changes. As I look through the new equipment and sets that summon pets, I may replace some builds in this thread with others that may serve better through the increased difficulty.

For the time being, I will not increase Hero density or double spawns, as in the brief time I tested the new Grimmest spawns, my computer crashed multiple times.

Disabling “auto item tooltips” in the Interface options solved my crash issues.

First updated build for 2020 has arrived!

I have several builds using some of the new D3 sets, but I wanted to open with a bang, and who better to bring in 2020 than to update my first posted build? Zunimassa’s Set may have been the target of several nerfs, but thankfully I’ve been able to look past it and found a way to make it useful. Enjoy!